Old 19-09-2006, 09:43 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Shakey ToUcam - even on terrestrial target?

Hi all

I've just recv'd my ToUcam 1.25" adapter, and I mounted the unit on the back of the EyeOpener fitted to my 12" SCT so that I don't include the extra optics within the diagonal giving me an upright true image.

This morning I aimed my scope at a target down the street - maybe 300 metres away and turned the camera on. I trained the scope on a "Commodore" boot badge on a parked car. Firstly I found that I could not get a really tight focus on screen. Using both the rough focus and then the microfocusser I tried to get a sharp image, but only acieved a "fairly" focussed image on screen. With all the power in the scope I thought that I might do better than that. The letters on the badge were able to be read, but I would not call the image "sharp" as such.

By biggest problem however was that I could not get the image stable! It shook around every frame ot two like my scope was in a windy place. If I can't keep a stable image of a terrestrial target down the street, how am I ever going to keep it stable when looking at a planet? Is it just that I was looking through a window pane? If there was a slight breeze blowing would the window pane glass be vibrating - and then making my image shift all over the shop?

Any ideas or advice greatly appreciated!!

TIA
Chris
Old 19-09-2006, 10:00 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Chris

Assuming that all the gear is in good nick, collimated, working correctly and securely mounted/attached, I wouldn’t worry too much - initially.

At these high magnifications, any optical system perturbations, (imaging through a window, ground thermals from concrete/tarmac, thermals from roofs, etc) can make the image look somewhat disappointing.

If you are capturing at too high a frame rate (>10fps) then you will see a noisy result. I’m often pleasantly surprised at what Registax produces from what look like ordinary avi’s, so try on the Moon next time you can to see how your system performs.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 19-09-2006, 10:05 AM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

As Dennis said. Heat haze & thermals during the day would be why the image is jumping around. Once you turn it skyward you'll find it different.

Own a IR/UV cut filter yet? May I suggest you get one if you don't.
Old 19-09-2006, 10:06 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Thanks Dennis! I will try to lower the frame rate back to 5fps like you suggest. Collimation is good, or as best as I could check anyway. I've used both methods I know of - i.e. stand 8-10 mirror diameters in front of the scope and look for concentricity as well as the defocussed star method as described in the manual. Maybe my concrete floor is shaking as you say.

Pity the moon isn't back for a while......

Oh well - I'll take it to the MAS forest session this Saturday and give it a go there.

Thanks for helping

Last edited by Omaroo; 19-09-2006 at 11:10 AM.
Old 19-09-2006, 10:08 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by asimov
As Dennis said. Heat haze & thermals during the day would be why the image is jumping around. Once you turn it skyward you'll find it different.

Own a IR/UV cut filter yet? May I suggest you get one if you don't.
Thanks Asimov. I'm picking an Astronomik IR filter up tomorrow. I've heard that it does make a terrific difference.

Cheers
Chris
Old 19-09-2006, 11:03 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Imaging through class will definately cause you problems. I was mucking around with my SAC the other day and cursing 'cos I couldn't get a sharp image. Then realised I was shooting through a closed sliding glass door.

How far away was the car from your scope? You weren't within the minimum focusing distance were you? You may also have thermal currents inside the telescope to contend with as well. Definately get the IR filter. My experinces over the past week or so have convinced to me of the value of having one, though I haven't tested it out on a Toucam yet.
Old 19-09-2006, 02:53 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [1ponders]
Imaging through class...
Personally, I always image with class, style, panache and an air of detached yet chic elegance.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 19-09-2006, 03:44 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Too true Dennis, but buy the time you get throught all that class your wiping it out of our eyes
Old 19-09-2006, 05:36 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
but buy the time you get throught all that class
So now you're buying time Paul?

Old 19-09-2006, 05:44 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

I think that Paul is having one of those days where fingers and thoughts simply cannot synchronise, no matter how hard you try. I sympathise!

Cheers

Dennis
Old 19-09-2006, 06:18 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

argh! gee!

let us know how it goes. dont ya hate it when thing dont work out
Old 19-09-2006, 09:01 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Ist awrite, sumdaz I just canr jion tow lettres togtehre
Old 19-09-2006, 09:01 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

When I use Terrestrial Objects to test my gear I find that on a warmish day (anything above 12 degrees celsius) the image thru the Toucam gives terrible heat-haze. On very cold days it's fine. I also focus on objects at a minumum of 1k away.
Old 20-09-2006, 08:50 AM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

Quote:
Ist awrite, sumdaz I just canr jion tow lettres togtehre
eh?
are you drunk?