Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography

Old 05-06-2021, 06:01 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

NGC 2070 and the wish for a new camera

Well, an image I capture a while back, have been struggling with this and I think a little more learning on Startools is required. I noticed that the Wipe block is the main cause of my issues, so I hope to spend more time on it to get better results.

I got a really good image without the Wipe block but it lacked the colour procession further down the line.

For an Old DSLR, it is not bad but I believe it is showing its age now and really want to get into Mono imaging.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NGC_2070_DSS_GIMP_50.jpg)
221.5 KB59 views
Old 05-06-2021, 06:19 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswhin63 View Post
Well, an image I capture a while back, have been struggling with this and I think a little more learning on Startools is required. I noticed that the Wipe block is the main cause of my issues, so I hope to spend more time on it to get better results.

I got a really good image without the Wipe block but it lacked the colour procession further down the line.

For an Old DSLR, it is not bad but I believe it is showing its age now and really want to get into Mono imaging.
Malcolm,
You know you don’t necessarily have to go from DSLR to Mono ( huge jump in cost and set up , learning curve and time)
I went DSLR to Cooled OSC ( ZWOASI2600MC ) very smooth transition and my images have improved way beyond expectation including narrowband too
The QHY286C and the ZWO 2600MC are absolutely incredible cooled OSC cameras with a QE of +80% and no filter wheel required and multiple nights to complete 1 image depending on conditions
Don’t discount the new generation OSC cameras they have really raised the bar
Cheers
Martin
Old 05-06-2021, 11:01 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

The real advantage of DSLR is great colour and no computer required. WYSIWYG . Together with the large sensor and reasonable pixel size they produce great images, particularly wide field. You just cannot push the images too far without complex software techniques a little more than the usual. It is not a filtered astro camera but I have seen some really stunning DSLR images.
Old 06-06-2021, 12:29 AM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Malcolm,
You know you don’t necessarily have to go from DSLR to Mono ( huge jump in cost and set up , learning curve and time)

Cheers
Martin
I am doing a lot of too-ing and fro-ing between Mono and OSC. I need to make sure that fringing is not going to be my issue. I see a bit of fringing in my images although StarTools can remove it. It is the main reason for considering the jump to mono.

It will be a while before I make my final decision though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfish View Post
The real advantage of DSLR is great colour and no computer required. WYSIWYG . Together with the large sensor and reasonable pixel size they produce great images, particularly wide field. You just cannot push the images too far without complex software techniques a little more than the usual. It is not a filtered astro camera but I have seen some really stunning DSLR images.
I don't intend to do a lot of widefield all the time, although it is still good. I just can't seem to get the richness from my images. I still though enjoy imaging and really hope to get more out of this camera. Just considering seeing the banks at the moment for providing loans to us in the first place by using bad advice. Maybe this will get me closer to buying the gear I would like or could have got ages ago.

For the moment there is a lot of clouds all the time in Adelaide so I have been working on some other projects at the moment including being able to store all my Astro gear outside permanently while still being a temporary set-up. The first iteration is doing really well, so I can enjoy the hobby without taking images
Old 06-06-2021, 02:29 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

You don't need expensive equipment. An old Dslr will do .
Check here for articles on DSLR Astro photography as well as visual tips.
https://clarkvision.com/articles/index.html