Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 26-06-2018, 06:34 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenchen View Post
After weighing up all the options, and speaking to the finance department, I was encouraged to get the mono. So mono ordered with the 8 slot wheel now, can't wait!

What software do you recommend? At the moment I'm inclining towards SGPro, but find it extremely difficult to configure/use. Maybe it'll make more sense to me when I get everything rigged up and connected - hopefully anyway.
I have used SGP for years and am very happy with its extensive capability, wide equipment support, and the support forum. It has many features you will not find in Sharpcap, and if you aspire to being able to fully automate your imaging it is a good cost effective choice. The only real positive I see with Sharpcap is the polar alignment tool, so that is the only thing I use it for.
There are several full feature AP programs but you need to consider the cost (some are very expensive in my opinion) and the feature set that you actually will use. SGP allows me to fully automate my imaging session, and can shutdown everything at the end and alert me. I can safely sleep with SGP in control, and it can be monitored via Teamviewer as well.

Last edited by glend; 26-06-2018 at 06:52 AM.
Old 26-06-2018, 07:50 AM
brenchen

I have already paid for SGPro because I found the feature set to be very good, it has everything I need and more! But the only challenge is the learning curve is very steep, and I can't find anyone local support that can run me through the basics. The guy at the astro shop uses APT and SharpCap, mostly SharpCap, but a dealbreaker for me for SharpCap is that it has no auto mosaic support and the licensing model - which is subscription based. I polar align with polemaster anyway, more than happy with its results.

Having said that, to get me up and imaging, maybe I'll just get the free version of SharpCap and start imaging while I work out how to use SGPro.
Old 26-06-2018, 08:26 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenchen View Post
Having said that, to get me up and imaging, maybe I'll just get the free version of SharpCap and start imaging while I work out how to use SGPro.
I suggest you enrol for the Main Sequence Sotware (SGP) email updates, and browse the Support Forum for anything puzzling you. This will be helpful from an education point of view. I certainly don't use all the features (yet).
Old 26-06-2018, 08:28 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

I use Torsten's freeware, FireCapture on my ASI 174, well worth considering.