Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events

Old 30-05-2016, 10:45 PM
DuncanBlake (Duncan)

Looking for a gathering in June, near Sydney

Hello, I'm brand new to the forums, just referred here by a chance acquaintance. I'm an American, visiting Sydney for two months, returning to Seattle on July 3rd. I'm a *very* casual star gazer, but I would love to connect with the community while I'm here, and find a way to get out of the Sydney lights, and see the southern sky in what might be a once in a lifetime trip for me.

I read with sadness about the tragic death of the Rod of the Katoomba Airfield, but am glad that his family is welcoming the community back there in July. That gathering on July 2nd is exactly the sort I would love to connect with, but given my departure from Sydney on July 3rd, I won't be able to attend.

Is anyone gathering in June, in the Blue Mountains, or anywhere else I could get from Sydney? I'm not able to drive here, but I'd be happy to cover travel expenses for/with other people.

About me: 45, male, mostly quiet geek, enjoys the outdoors and willing to rough it to a point (I need electricity for a medical device when I sleep), liberal and progressive in my politics, lived in Germany in my teen years (parents NOT in the military, long story), bummed around Pakistan, Indian and Nepal for a year in my 20s, travel there and other parts of Asia in recent years for IT work, never been further south than Singapore before.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions!

-Duncan
Old 31-05-2016, 07:29 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Hi Duncan,

to IIS,

You might like to contact some of the local astro clubs to see if they may be able to help out a Yankee visitor go bush,

There's a few clubs to ask:

Macarthur Astronomical Society Their observing sites (2) are towards Southern Sydney.

Astronomical Society of NSW Also have a couple of observing sites, one about an hour and a bit from Sydney's CBD and another about 3hrs west.

Northern Sydney Astro Society Sydney based with only an observing site in Northern Sydney, Terry Hills, but it is the best Sydney based site I know of - I was there just this last Saturday and I saw the Coal Sack for the first time in years from Ol' Sydney Town!

Sutherland Astro Society Another Southern Sydney based club with a couple of remote observing sites.

I'm sure you'll be able to find some sky time with these fine groups,

I apologize if I've missed out on any other astro clubs. I'm sure they'll say g'day, and give me grief...

Alex.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:39 PM
DuncanBlake (Duncan)

Thanks very much for the detailed response! I'll definitely reach out and try to make connections.