Old 16-05-2013, 04:24 PM
Greenswale (Wren)

Colour!

Had a look at Eta Carinae last night.

The homunculus seemed larger than last I looked a couple of months back. When the seeing came good, with my 7mm I noticed what could be a new, and very small lobe starting as viewed at 10 oclock in my dob, at 10.30pm. Will have to monitor that. Detail in the homunculus was a real teaser also. Grouse is a good word for it.

But, the big surprise was colour in the nebula. A definate pinkish-vermilon hue showed up, best in my 10mm. This is a first for me, absolutely delighted! I just hope that I have not been blind to this in the past........
Old 16-05-2013, 05:20 PM
DavidU (Dave)
Like to learn

Cool !
What size scope are you using?
Old 16-05-2013, 09:06 PM
Greenswale (Wren)

Scope is a 12" Lightbridge. The seeing was really good, at times, certainly helped.
Old 17-05-2013, 06:12 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Aaaaah! Wren, the Homunculus is one of my most favourite objects!
I've not seen a pink to it tho. Yet!!! Time to roll up the sleeves and get serious- errr good seeing conditions prevailing of course !
Old 19-05-2013, 07:43 PM
andyc (Andy)

Had a look last night with the 16" LB in truly awesomse seeing from Heathcote. Saw a load of delicate structures in the two lobes I've not seen before, but no colour for me, beyong a vague orange-ish hue that seems more from the star than the neb. I'm not the best at seeing colours though. It's a really cool object on a good night, but oh so susceptible to seeing conditions.
Old 19-05-2013, 08:13 PM
pgc hunter

Hey Wren , the Homunculus is quite interesting isn't it! I've observed it a few times with my 12" and it is strikingly detailed. The lobes have an intricate amount of fine detail and dark spots can be seen in them. There are also two shards of material emanating from the star perpendicular to the main lobes which can be seeing in good seeing. To me, the nebula appears vividly orange.

cheers
Old 22-05-2013, 10:48 AM
Greenswale (Wren)

Visual is engaging, isn't it?!

Suzy, I had never actually looked for colour in the nebula. Now actually looking for colour in nebulae is included in my observation process.

Andy, Sab. Seems that orange is the go. I had a little think about my pink and vermilion, seems that those colours add up to......orange! I guess that conditions, scope eyepieces, and our individual perceptions would all have influence on outcomes.

Sab, thanks for your observation of the 'new' lobes! I will have to work on finding the other one now.

The moon can go away now, I have things to look at.....