Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:27 PM
TidaLpHasE
Gone fish'n

EQ6 First time alignment help

Hi all, i just got5 my new EQ6 replacement back with updated SS version 2.05a.

I have the ED 80 mounted and as keen as mustard to start learning how to use this beast.

My understanding so far is, 1] point azimuth adjustment toward true south 2] level mount 3] adjust altitude to get latitude 4] try and figure out the polar scope and align octans, my illuminated p/scope doesn't have a brightness adjuster 5] turn on power, enter co-ordinates/date/time etc.

Am i sort of in the ballpark, or am i way off and confused even more than i am?????

Does anyone have any good links explaining these procedures for the EQ6 in the Southern H.

I really want to have a go tonight at some astro shots, is this going to be possible first time out with the mount, and extremly limited knowledge??

I am not to fussed on quality of the images, i just want to be able to track even with error, to get some learning time under my belt.

Any help from fellow EQ6 users in the Southern H will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.....
Old 05-11-2005, 05:40 PM
h0ughy (David)

I'd love to help you but i am jealous of your clear skies so i wont bother
Old 05-11-2005, 05:46 PM
TidaLpHasE
Gone fish'n

Now you have really upset the rain gods.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:53 PM
h0ughy (David)

Oh alright, gilt has got me.

yes you just about simplified the whole process there

"My understanding so far is, 1] point azimuth adjustment toward true south 2] level mount 3] adjust altitude to get latitude 4] try and figure out the polar scope and align octans, my illuminated p/scope doesn't have a brightness adjuster 5] turn on power, enter co-ordinates/date/time etc.

"

All I have done so far was to do what you have stated. I tried to get it level then get the correct dec angle, for me it is around 33 south (32 50') but if you can be that accurate with this mount and scale your a better man than me.

then I do something very naughty, I move the whole mount until I can find Octans throught he polar finder, then adjust the mount so that it is level and pointing at the shape shown in the polar scope (the octans square bit) and adjust laterally until I have the pole - now is when you should do that star drift thingy method (i don't know how to do that yet but if you have a look at my EQ6 m500 intes thread you will find something there about it.

as for going through the synscan, just follow what you have been reading, date, time, daylight savings, location, etc, then do your star alignments. if you jion the yahoo eq6 site there are files you can doenload forthe alignment stars in the controller to use as a guide. especially good when there is a bit of cloud. just experiment, thats all i am doing at the moment
Old 05-11-2005, 06:35 PM
TidaLpHasE
Gone fish'n

Thanks Houghy, i will talk with the rain gods and ask for clear skies across your area

I will be experimenting tonight to try and get this mount up and running, i did expect it to be a bit of a challenge, so i have not been frustrated by it yet.

I have posted this message on the yahoo group also, so with a bit, i mean lot of help, things should start falling into place.

Thanks again.....
Old 05-11-2005, 07:39 PM
Striker (Tony)
Whats visual Astronomy

It wont take you long Trevor....if your at the same site each time all you have to do is is enter the time/date and do the 1, 2 or 3 star alignment.

Just remember to park the scope before turning it off...its under the utilities function.

After the first night you will feel like a pro...it's that easy.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:41 PM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

I would love to see even a 5 or 10 sec exposure of tuc47 or orion, just to get a feel for the tracking side of things.

please even if you think it is real crap, please post it.

I will be following this thread with a lot of interest as I am thinking of a travel scope and camera combo. Hmmmm what could it be????

If only that chris venter had not posted that m42 that he did with a ed80!!!!!
Old 05-11-2005, 09:53 PM
TidaLpHasE
Gone fish'n

I'ts not lookin too good for even a 5-10 second shot tonight, seems doing a polar alignment has almost got the better of me

I have come inside for a rest as not to become frustrated with it, i have used a compass to align the mount south, the problem is seeing the asterism in octans through the polar scope.

I need to do a bit more reading and research i think.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:08 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TidaLpHasE
I'ts not lookin too good for even a 5-10 second shot tonight, seems doing a polar alignment has almost got the better of me

I have come inside for a rest as not to become frustrated with it, i have used a compass to align the mount south, the problem is seeing the asterism in octans through the polar scope.

I need to do a bit more reading and research i think.
the first night I spent 4 hours mucking about with this. what I did so that i could learn where it was and what I was looking for was to just spend time with the polar finder and not worry about the scope. I giggled and moved and manhandled the tripod, raising and lowering one leg and twisting the whole rig until i could manually find the asterism in the finderscope taht resembled the octans trapezium area shown on the etching in the polar finder. i did find this eventually. then once I observed the alignments and positionings I then levelled the scope mount to suit and adjusted the head until I found the same view and the n tried a little bit more fine tuning. then I took my first ever shots with the setup. I loved it and was on a high. don't give up, just think of it as one of lifes little challenges
Old 05-11-2005, 11:25 PM
westsky

Hi Trevor, Just a couple of things about your setup, when you use a compass to get your alignment have you allowed for the magnetic deviation?
Try to keep the compass at least 1M away from the mount 1.5m is better
I attached my compass to a straight bit of wood about 1M long and still I can be about 2 degrees off.
At home I set up close (within 3M) of a large steel workshop this can put me off by as much as 5 degrees. so the trick is to find true south before you setup your mount and use a object on your horizon to align too.
Also there is another asterism in octans that looks very similar to the one you want, it's only a few degrees from the proper one but you will find that one star will not line up in the polar finder, this will have you scatching your head for a while as you can't figure out why the stars don't quite match up, I know I,ve been there done that, took me 30mins to work it out :-((

cheers
David.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:52 AM
TidaLpHasE
Gone fish'n

Thanks all for the encouragement, i looked and looked and looked through the polar scope, but couldn't find the asterism in octans, or octans even.

I think i had it in the binno's but lost it as soon as i peeped through the polar scope.I really need a finderscope on the ED80, i didn't think of it when i ordered the scope

I did manage a 10 second shot of orion, prime focus, and a couple of moon pics, but retired defeated but still happy and keen to learn the ropes with this mount.

Thanks for all the tips, all of them will help me on my way
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (orion7-01.jpg)
122.3 KB83 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_26-01.jpg)
51.7 KB49 views
Old 06-11-2005, 02:03 AM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

nice one on orion!!!!

thats a great start. any processing done????
Old 06-11-2005, 02:19 AM
RAJAH235
A very 'Senior' member.

Hi Trevor. westsky's advice re; the 'object on horizon' is a great help in setting up. Tis a bugger at the best of times...
Nice Orion pic too.

For those that do not know how to find SS/Octans, see attached.
fwiw, re; the magnetic deviation thingy, >
https://www.ga.gov.au/oracle/geomag/agrfform.jsp
Type in your co-ords, gives the deviation for your area. Scroll down to >
Declination, > map of Oz.
HTH. L.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (South Celestial Pole Finder Chartsmall.jpg)
66.6 KB74 views
Old 06-11-2005, 02:45 AM
Ambermile
I make stuff...

This may seem a bit odd - but if you can't see the Octans square bit in the polarscope, shine a red light across the hole. Shows up real nice then. Across though, not into. That way a bit of the light goes down and illuminates your image.

Arthur
Old 06-11-2005, 08:02 AM
westsky

Using the previous posted chart here's a rough and ready guide to finding the south pole from city sky's, just follow the red lines try to keep the line through
Rigilkent/Hader to around 90 degrees, This will get you very close to the pole, close enough to see through the polar scope.

cheers
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (South Celestial Pole Finder.JPG)
51.1 KB71 views
Old 06-11-2005, 09:42 AM
Striker (Tony)
Whats visual Astronomy

How about a drift align trevor.....I know with mine the polar scope is fairly loose and has some movement so even if you get it spot on it's not accurate...I myself just drift align if I need too.

If you dont have a PC and webcam just use a Illuminted Reticle eyepiece.

In Brisbane I have much more success doing this method then trying to locate Octans.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:39 AM
westsky

Hi Tony, Trevor can't do a drift align till he gets the asterism in octans in the polar finder, the polar scope only has about a 3 degree fov I think but it may be 6 I can't remember,
He would spend all night trying to drift align and still walk away frustrated.
You have to get a rough alignment before you do a drift.
Trevor, dont give up, once you find the asterism in octans you will know where to find it next time,it just gets easier the more you do it

cheers
David.
Old 06-11-2005, 03:40 PM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

ok, i have heard it alot, but not sure what it means.

is drift alignment where both the ra and dec are adjusted by the system???
Old 06-11-2005, 04:47 PM
westsky

Hi David,
Drift alignment is only needed for astrophtography, a quick polar alignment using the polar scope is good enough for visual.
Drift align is done by getting a rough polar alignment then tweaking the mount to stop any drift. you make the adjustments by moving the Alt and AZ of the mount itself not by the electronics or motors.
With any mechanical device ,a telescope mount in this case, there will be some
errors in the construction, even with a perfectly adjusted polar scope there will be some drift after a period of time. the idea of drift aligning is to keep the drift to a minimum for a short period of around 5mins.
The easiest way to get a good drift align is by using a webcam or other type of camera, using cross hairs on the comp screen watch the star and see if it drifts up or down or left or right.
these are the rules for drift aligning in the southern hemisphere.

cheers
David.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (drift_rules_south.jpg)
12.5 KB75 views
Old 06-11-2005, 10:01 PM
TidaLpHasE
Gone fish'n

Thanks all for the advice.

Seems the cloud gods heard of my new toy and decided to fill the sky with grey stuff.

I had fun anyway last night trying to work out where Octans is, and working out another part of the sky.

I think i will take the time out to have the mount serviced, and in the meantime studie more of the sky.

Thanks again.....