Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2009, 07:44 PM
Lumen Miner (Mitchell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenluceskies View Post
After my brother passed away 5 years ago, I decided on a clean out of my shed, and I threw out my 6" f6 mirror from my first homebuilt scope circa.1986. A bad move but I was in the wrong frame of mind to even contemplate a clean out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
Two...and the sad thing is they are getting more expensive...

1) H-Alpha punters will appreciate this

...took the Etalon off prior to removing the blocking filter....which shattered.
Doh!

2) Plugged an untested guide cable with a hot 12Volt pin into my PME.....fried both PCB's....$A2.5K in about 20 milliseconds.... oh F..K!!
Oh!!! That stings! Really stings. OW!!
Old 07-09-2009, 08:34 PM
HiddenDragon (Bryce)

Not really a doh moment as such, just an extremely scary moment.

First time observing and i was setting up my 130mm reflector telescope, loosening the rings that hold the tube in place a little to slide it into a better position. For some reason i had it tilted a little so that the very loose screws holding the rings managed to basically fall off letting the whole telescope tube slide out and head for very hard pavement!

Luckily, i was close by and caught the tube with no damage to the telescope. However i did devleop a bad case of the shakes after that extremely frightening moment. Luckily no one was around to see it
Old 07-09-2009, 08:44 PM
Lumen Miner (Mitchell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenDragon View Post
Not really a doh moment as such, just an extremely scary moment.

First time observing and i was setting up my 130mm reflector telescope, loosening the rings that hold the tube in place a little to slide it into a better position. For some reason i had it tilted a little so that the very loose screws holding the rings managed to basically fall off letting the whole telescope tube slide out and head for very hard pavement!

Luckily, i was close by and caught the tube with no damage to the telescope. However i did devleop a bad case of the shakes after that extremely frightening moment. Luckily no one was around to see it
Yeah, I would call that a "DoH!!" moment... That could have ended badly... I am glad you caught it.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:54 PM
pixelsaurus (Mike)

Parked the camera on a tripod, at 1am, to do 4 hr star trails. Tripped the shutter and went inside for a coffee. Woke up and found the sun blazing away, and then found I had left the lens cap on.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:08 PM
Lumen Miner (Mitchell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelsaurus View Post
Parked the camera on a tripod, at 1am, to do 4 hr star trails. Tripped the shutter and went inside for a coffee. Woke up and found the sun blazing away, and then found I had left the lens cap on.
I did that but forgot the weather forecast, for the day was not good. I was lucky it did not rain...
Old 20-09-2009, 01:46 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Just to revive this thread, cos I had a BIG doh!!!! moment on the weekend. Went away with Astro_South (Andrew) to Leyburn's dark sky site and guess what this lad did?

I forgot the damn well tripod logs for my EQ6PRO!!!!

All I could do was laugh, it was hell funny. Lucky Andrew had a spare manual CG5 mount, so I got in some viewing on Friday night, although I spent most of my time hovering around Andrew's 12.5" Dob, and Kevin's 16" dob. Let's just say I'm "dobsmacked"!!!

Dave
Old 20-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Esseth (Alan)
Worse or better?

Well i bought my first scope on Friday afternoon, and had my first Doh on Friday night... as i was putting it together, well just after i had got it all together.

Realized the middle vertical part of the base was back to front, i noticed it when i got to the instructions to attach the handle and eyepiece holder.
Old 20-09-2009, 04:53 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Well, at least you noticed it and learned. There's always going to be doh moments for each and everyone of us I think ;-)

Dave
Old 20-09-2009, 05:03 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

We just hope the Doh! moments aren't too expensive.
Old 20-09-2009, 05:31 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrandir View Post
We just hope the Doh! moments aren't too expensive.
Oh yeah!

Dave
Old 21-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Benno85 (Ben)

Mine happened yesterday afternoon.....

On a totally clear kitchen bench on a nice clean soft cloth was the objective lens from the ST80, enjoying the nice afternoon air after having a bath (HEAPS of grease on it for some reason??)

In walks the father-in-law with a heavy tool box in one hand and mobile phone in the other, not really paying too much attention..... I can't even finish the story it's so sad, I think you can all guess as to what happened next....

:sadeyes :
Old 21-09-2009, 11:17 AM
lacad01 (Adam)
The sky is Messier here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benno85 View Post

On a totally clear kitchen bench on a nice clean soft cloth was the objective lens from the ST80, enjoying the nice afternoon air after having a bath (HEAPS of grease on it for some reason??)

In walks the father-in-law with a heavy tool box in one hand and mobile phone in the other, not really paying too much attention..... I can't even finish the story it's so sad, I think you can all guess as to what happened next....

Oh no Any chance of recovery or too much angst to give the gory details?
Old 21-09-2009, 11:25 AM
Benno85 (Ben)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacad01 View Post
Oh no Any chance of recovery or too much angst to give the gory details?

Two lenses were converted to two half-lenses.....there's even a few fine traces of ground glass on the bench, I can't bring myself to dispose of it fully.
Old 21-09-2009, 11:31 AM
lacad01 (Adam)
The sky is Messier here!

Quote:
Two lenses were converted to two half-lenses.....there's even a few fine traces of ground glass on the bench, I can't bring myself to dispose of it fully.
aarrrrgh...sorry to hear that
Old 21-09-2009, 07:01 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Quote:

sorry to hear that i feel your pain
Old 21-09-2009, 07:40 PM
DavidU (Dave)
Like to learn

Ben, I think that one takes the cake !
Old 22-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Benno85 (Ben)

I'm still shattered (pun intended) by the experience.

But there is some hope, either Bintel or Tasco will hopefully come to the party and manage to secure a replacement.

Old 22-09-2009, 11:53 AM
vash (Ashley)

don't think I can top those but I had a good one the other night,

I messed up my hand controller and sent it away and got my self a replacement one sent back, I thought that was good. before I set the scope up I programed in all the details gps and date, remembered to have the month and day around the right way, came to the night setting all up and started drift aligning, thought geez I must be way off here, cranked it around as far as it could go but was still drifting away quick.
Thought for a few minutes, I know tracking speed is incorrect, checked it, was set to sidereal plus PE, thought "gotch ya" problem solved, back to drift allign same thing hhm, I twist the mount around further, nope same thing star drifting away at a rate of knots, borderline on the break out in rage point, stopped myself and thought what could it be, it's almost like it was tracking in the opposite direction, BANG hits me in the face right then, check GPS and change the Pesky little N to a nice little S problem solved,
FUnny part was some how through all my movent of the mount I managed to land it bang on the pole while tracking in the wrong direction.
Old 22-09-2009, 07:21 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

Comet McNaught

Forgot about that gem , been lucky enough to catch it just before sunset a couple of days
The lookout had a few people there this afternoon , when asked I pointed out were the comet would show , and there it was , messing with my camera, and not looking for a spell , a guy says wow that fantastic it looks just like a jet trail heading down to coolangatta airport .

which it was

comet showed up 5 minutes later (nowhere near )..where I'd spotted it the first time

Last edited by GrahamL; 22-09-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old 23-09-2009, 09:10 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightstalker View Post
Comet McNaught

Forgot about that gem , been lucky enough to catch it just before sunset a couple of days
The lookout had a few people there this afternoon , when asked I pointed out were the comet would show , and there it was , messing with my camera, and not looking for a spell , a guy says wow that fantastic it looks just like a jet trail heading down to coolangatta airport .

which it was

comet showed up 5 minutes later (nowhere near )..where I'd spotted it the first time