Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 4.75 average.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:51 PM
Ian Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by neversommer View Post
Ok so the 40mm would be worth getting and the barlow lens..and thats it right? i dont wanna worry for the LPF for now,100 aud is a bit to much for my liking for the moment.

as I mentioned I wanna see the clouds and the milky way(no clue but where to look at)and some of magellan and what now and of course the most important;PLANETS !!!!

So those 2 eyepieces which come with it with the 40mm and the barlow will make me all set yes?

Collimation tools (don't need to spend a stack of $ to collimate a newtonian) ....
http://www.oarval.org/collimatE.htm
http://www.cloudynights.com/documents/primer.pdf

You can get pretty close just by eye.

This and similar will do better , http://www.parksoptical.com/product_...f98e3157e1f89c it's essentially just got a hole dead centre that you look through just like an eyepiece but garantees your eye is dead centre on the focusor else you see nothing.

If you become a perfectionist - I am with this , then a Cheshire or a laser is necessary. I've got both == $$$
Old 11-12-2008, 04:55 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

Ian, pascal is a "amature" I thought i did a good job by going it by eye. I was sadly mistaken. you ask about collmination to nearly anybody here and they will say it is a must. Its not about being a perfectionist, thats where you get into the cats eye systems and what not, a simple laser collminator or ceshire eye piece will ensure that your optics are correct, or you might as well look though a coke bottle.!
Old 11-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Ian Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmitchell82 View Post
Ian, pascal is a "amature" I thought i did a good job by going it by eye. I was sadly mistaken. you ask about collmination to nearly anybody here and they will say it is a must. Its not about being a perfectionist, thats where you get into the cats eye systems and what not, a simple laser collminator or ceshire eye piece will ensure that your optics are correct, or you might as well look though a coke bottle.!
We're all amateurs here .

Pascal is a beginner , and there is no point making it all seem too hard to him , or getting him to think he needs to spend more money than necessary to get started .
He may be perfectly happy with the views he gets from a close but imperfectly collimated optical set in his 6" f5 for a long time, or just tweeking the collimation by eye every so often if he is moving the scope about a lot by hand and in the car. KISS.

Lasers as collimators for amateurs have been a relatively new development, amateurs with newtonians did quite OK for many decades without them and collimating by eye or with very basic (primitive) tools.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:33 PM
neversommer (Pascal)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Robinson View Post
We're all amateurs here .

Pascal is a beginner , and there is no point making it all seem too hard to him , or getting him to think he needs to spend more money than necessary to get started .
He may be perfectly happy with the views he gets from a close but imperfectly collimated optical set in his 6" f5 for a long time, or just tweeking the collimation by eye every so often if he is moving the scope about a lot by hand and in the car. KISS.

Lasers as collimators for amateurs have been a relatively new development, amateurs with newtonians did quite OK for many decades without them and collimating by eye or with very basic (primitive) tools.

relax guys its all good I love to be a beginner hehe,I just get my telescope,the eyepiece and the barlow and see how I go with that.

In a few months then maybe I will upgrade when i have a bit more experience with things.And then would be spending more money.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:59 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

yep a ceshire eye piece named after the ceshire astronomical group over in the UK many many moons ago. Collmination isn't hard its only hard if you don't know what your doing but what isn't.

Lasers as a collmination tool just like all advances in technology are to help people, they are great to get the tilt on your secondary spot on in a matter of a few minutes and the ceshire to align the primary. sure you don't need both straight away, but your advice to buy more budget eye pieces and doubling up for that matter wasn't a great call.

You look in the eye pieces section the golden advice given there was, its better to spend decent money on 1 eye piece instead of getting the same amount of moneys worth of budget eye pieces.

I don't mean to be rude but man. When i first asked the question of what telescope everybody said dob. okay well and said, you pick your wepon of choice, though theres big traps for newbies. one is buying a heap of budget junk that you will no doubt get rid of and buy what everybody told you to buy in the first place.

In my honest opinion $49 for a laser collinator is extreamly cheep. Why put Black and Gold oil in your 1/2 mill Porche???

This is the last im going to say as i cant be bothered anymore...

Brendan.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:12 PM
neversommer (Pascal)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmitchell82 View Post
yep a ceshire eye piece named after the ceshire astronomical group over in the UK many many moons ago. Collmination isn't hard its only hard if you don't know what your doing but what isn't.

Lasers as a collmination tool just like all advances in technology are to help people, they are great to get the tilt on your secondary spot on in a matter of a few minutes and the ceshire to align the primary. sure you don't need both straight away, but your advice to buy more budget eye pieces and doubling up for that matter wasn't a great call.

You look in the eye pieces section the golden advice given there was, its better to spend decent money on 1 eye piece instead of getting the same amount of moneys worth of budget eye pieces.

I don't mean to be rude but man. When i first asked the question of what telescope everybody said dob. okay well and said, you pick your wepon of choice, though theres big traps for newbies. one is buying a heap of budget junk that you will no doubt get rid of and buy what everybody told you to buy in the first place.

In my honest opinion $49 for a laser collinator is extreamly cheep. Why put Black and Gold oil in your 1/2 mill Porche???

This is the last im going to say as i cant be bothered anymore...

Brendan.

Wow..I kinda dont know now what to say?I mean..ok..well..I dont know..
Is this the one you talking about?

Collimation eyepiece, Cheshire design, Newtonian type$49.00

I dont know what that is but if you think I need it then ok I will get it but I would not have a clue of how to use it..How about i get it once I have all this stuff we meet and you can show me what I should do with such a thing?

Let me know.Even though you might not want to.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:41 PM
Ian Robinson

Quote:
relax guys its all good I love to be a beginner hehe,I just get my telescope,the eyepiece and the barlow and see how I go with that.

In a few months then maybe I will upgrade when i have a bit more experience with things.And then would be spending more money.
and don't forget to enjoy it and maybe join a club in the new year.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:44 PM
Ian Robinson

Quote:
Wow..I kinda dont know now what to say?I mean..ok..well..I dont know..
Is this the one you talking about?

Collimation eyepiece, Cheshire design, Newtonian type$49.00

I dont know what that is but if you think I need it then ok I will get it but I would not have a clue of how to use it..How about i get it once I have all this stuff we meet and you can show me what I should do with such a thing?

Let me know.Even though you might not want to.
You can make your own Cheshire pretty easily and for next to nothing too , know folks who did so.

Or buy one of these (an ALine ..http://members.cox.net/rigelsys/telecoll.html .. for a start) they're cheap as chips by email.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:09 PM
peter brown

Hey Pascal
it would be nice to know a bit more about you ,in your public profile. Now what month is it? Ah yes December. Your english spelling is very good. Wish you well in your present endeavours
Old 11-12-2008, 11:52 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Quote:
There is absolutely no excuse for laziness.

Do you know how to use Google? Yes? Use it.

This thread has gone on for 5 pages more than it should have.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:13 AM
Ian Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
There is absolutely no excuse for laziness.

Do you know how to use Google? Yes? Use it.

This thread has gone on for 5 pages more than it should have.
Why so snappy .... ?

If you aren't interested why read it ?

BTW : beginners have to start somewhere , maybe you've forgotten how it was for you as new beginner with telescopes , and to get the good oil from Google you've got to know the right key words to use and have some background knowhow so you can filter out all the useless crap that google spits out to find the gems of info you need. May not be such an easy job for someone who's not yet got sufficient backgound knowledge and is at bottom of that S shaped learning curve. Give the guy a break , and others who come here looking for help as beginners.

I was lucky all those years ago that 4 very nice people took me under their wing , Irene Towers, Alan Elliot , Mati Morel and the old chap who owned AOS back in the 1970s , I was able to ask all my dumb questions and get help from them , I'll be forever in their debt.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:38 AM
Lyinxz

lol i dont want to get invovled .... but i completely agree with Octane. no harsh feelings i hope.

You guys shouls use IM (instant messaging). This converstation seems to be more of a one on one thing,that would be more suitable for IM.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:46 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Quote:
Why so snappy .... ?

If you aren't interested why read it ?

BTW : beginners have to start somewhere , maybe you've forgotten how it was for you as new beginner with telescopes , and to get the good oil from Google you've got to know the right key words to use and have some background knowhow so you can filter out all the useless crap that google spits out to find the gems of info you need. May not be such an easy job for someone who's not yet got sufficient backgound knowledge and is at bottom of that S shaped learning curve. Give the guy a break , and others who come here looking for help as beginners.
Why read it? In case I learn something new. And, also, because I suffer from a mild case of traffic accident syndrome.

Beginners have to start somewhere, that's right. I help when and where I can. Admittedly, it isn't all too often where I can as my knowledge is severely lacking.

I remember when I bought my first telescope; I did plenty of research online and then made a decision based upon where I wanted to go with the hobby. This was about 3 years ago, prior to joining this forum.

As for knowing what to Google for, that's a non-issue, as all the information has been provided in the preceding posts (and is also available through the search tool on this site). How hard can it possibly be to Google "collimation tutorial" or "collimation guide", or even, in this case, "what is collimation"?

Anyway, there's absolutely no excuse for laziness.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:56 AM
Ian Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
Why read it? In case I learn something new. And, also, because I suffer from a mild case of traffic accident syndrome.
Never heard of it .... effects what exactly ???

Yes I googled it .... can be anything from what I saw.

Since he's settled on his scope now .... Bye .

Last edited by Ian Robinson; 12-12-2008 at 01:27 AM.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:32 AM
neversommer (Pascal)

HI Octane I guess you should settle down a bit more..Ok yes I do could google what is is but I am working 8hours every day as IT Support in one of the biggest electricity company in WA,which is western power,now I could google everything and trust me prior to come here I googled maybe more then you do in a day,and I got to know a few things,but even though google might give you some answer,it did not for me.

I had an idea of sort of that aperture size is important and etc etc..but all these new information here can be BEST explained by someone who is actually been using it and telling their story of it,ok?

You can approach things from different angles.

Now I havent heard back from andrews..I hope I get a reply soon from them.

I listened to you guys advices,especially ian robinson helped me out a awesome bit and before I went to buy an DS telescope I am investing now almost 500AUD in a telescope which was not even planned,I mentioned before yes I am an amateur but money aint the problem but why spend 1000 or more on something when you have no clue of how to use it?

I am happy now and lets keep it that way.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:05 AM
JethroB76 (Jeff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyinxz View Post
You guys shouls use IM (instant messaging). This converstation seems to be more of a one on one thing,that would be more suitable for IM.
Kinda right there, however if that had happened Pascal would have went ahead and got the recommended heap of crap Dick Smith scope
Old 12-12-2008, 10:44 AM
neversommer (Pascal)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JethroB76 View Post
Kinda right there, however if that had happened Pascal would have went ahead and got the recommended heap of crap Dick Smith scope
That is right..of course IM could have been the option but i am at work from monday to friday from 8am till 5pm and I am doing as much research as I can.

Since I got so much information and got help of how to do things here,I am a bit upset that people getting into crossfire with each other of helping me out and It makes me feeling left uncomfortable,why?I went from a 120aud scope to a 239 from DS to now willing to spend almost 500 AUD on a descent scope that with some nice extras.This is a hobby not a battleground.
I am still waiting for confirmation to get my scope and I will repost once I have it..to stop this not necessary gun fight here and people complaining about to get to use IM..

I am thankful for the time and effort spend in this thread to help me getting a scope...other forums would have left off a lot earlier maybe..but we are people who are striving to have fun and enjoyment.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:19 PM
Ian Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JethroB76 View Post
Pascal has benefitted from advise from more than one person - that has got to be better than just one person's biassed advise.
I would guess other newbie beginners will have also read the posts and benefited too , and some not newbies , we've not all been using telescopes for 30 or 40 years and built up a bit of knowhow and a stack of experience.

I am pleased that Pascal is pleased with his decision and hopes he has many nights and years of enjoyment with his new scope and he and his gf stick with this very rewarding (if expensive when you get really involved in it) hobby and he finds the time to keep coming here and to join a local club.

Happy Xmas Pascal - hope things work out with the refund or consumer mob - keep us posted.
Old 16-12-2008, 08:40 PM
drahyrt (Steve)

Quote:
I would guess other newbie beginners will have also read the posts and benefited too , and some not newbies , we've not all been using telescopes for 30 or 40 years and built up a bit of knowhow and a stack of experience.
Just to bump this thread and create soem more friction...not.
But felt it was worth adding a comment,

Yes I have benefitted from this series of posts, verified newb... didn't know that long posts were a trouble for the server to cope with?

Thanks Ian for your advice to Pascal, I have benefitted.
Old 28-05-2013, 02:25 PM
brendo (Brendan)

Hi Guys
I have inherited one of the Foco telescopes that this thread began on, and was wondering whether it is worth trying to build a dobsonian mount for the tube. I don't have the budget for a new scope (yet) but would love to use this for 6 months or so just to get into the groove while I build up the savings for a proper scope.
As the OP said, the mount is useless, and even the most minor focus adjustment will cause the target to vibrate uncontrollably for 15-20 seconds. Would a dobsonian mount made from a lazy susan and a plywood box be better than this? That way I can spend money I have now on eyepieces and enjoy this one for a while until I can afford the one I really want...
Thanks for your help!