Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 20-06-2021, 08:18 AM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

What Type of Buyer Are You

Well as the title reads ..What type of buyer are you? Impulsive .. or Cautious .. Procrastinating (tyre kicker looking for a better deal) ... or a bit of all.

This is not just for Astronomy gear but all your buying.

Do you do endless research, look at reviews, stick to certain brands?

I have been looking to replace my old house heating Plasma TV (Pioneer hint hint .. Brand snob) with a 4K version. Thought I was committed to the LG OLED ... but then the ad came out ... LG releasing the new OLED EVO claiming better colours. Also looking at a new Microwave ... product research .. reading endless reviews ... to date no new Microwave.
Old 20-06-2021, 08:49 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Buy it then find out what it can be used for.
It really depends on the item ...astronomy gear I spend a lot of time thinking about it but say with a car I walk in and say "I will have that one when can you have it ready?"
TV same but I just buy the cheapest.
Phone..I end up with what some fast talking salesman pushes on me just to get out of the place.
But generally I know well in advance the things I want or need..like ride on mower I put it off as long as it was raining and knew I would get a Husky because of an emotional link to the name because Husky was my first and second race bikes...fire pump...only a Honda will do and I bought it as soon as it was clear the old pump was ruined. Houses usually pretty fast buy..if it has what I have asked for...
Thanks for starting such a great thread Hans.
Alex
Old 20-06-2021, 08:50 AM
glend (Glen)

For appliances I tend to keep them till they die. Never buy the latest "thing", I learned this as an IT manager for a large bank. Bank's are incredibly risk adverse, and will not jump to new generation software or hardware, preferring to stay one generation behind. It carried over to private life. I refuse to buy new cars anymore, my last one was sold after 14 years of service, my present new car is five years old, bought from a primary school teacher who hardly used it. My new big screen TV, I did buy new, but it was a phase out model on sale. Never buy from Harvey Norman.
Some things I do buy impulsively, like guitars, but usually involve weeks of online research and watching Utube reviews. Astro gear I used to buy, but no longer, I keep one good mount, one good scope and one good EAA camera, no plans to buy again.
Old 20-06-2021, 09:40 AM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Procrastinating researcher

Procrastinating researcher...

Esp hobbies - PC related new towers/video cards etc, telescopes, cameras, eyepieces, boats(inflatables) etc.

Whitegoods not so much, read a few of the top ten selection from a few different sites.

Steve
Old 20-06-2021, 12:04 PM
Constant (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Tucker View Post
Well as the title reads ..What type of buyer are you? Impulsive .. or Cautious .. Procrastinating (tyre kicker looking for a better deal) ... or a bit of all.

This is not just for Astronomy gear but all your buying.

Do you do endless research, look at reviews, stick to certain brands?

I have been looking to replace my old house heating Plasma TV (Pioneer hint hint .. Brand snob) with a 4K version. Thought I was committed to the LG OLED ... but then the ad came out ... LG releasing the new OLED EVO claiming better colours. Also looking at a new Microwave ... product research .. reading endless reviews ... to date no new Microwave.

"Mostly impetuous and poorly informed"

Sadly, I'm the one others "see coming". If only I researched as well before purchasing as I do after purchasing (& regretting) things generally would be much improved.
Old 20-06-2021, 02:11 PM
AdamJL

I research the hell out of something. Then wait for the best price. I rarely buy retail price if I can help it.

In fact, I just bought a luggage pod for my car. Spent months researching the right one, but it was never on sale. Bit the bullet and called someone who usually has it it stock. They didn't. But had a display model, brand new, and got 30% off

My EQ6-R + 80ED was purchased during the pandemic and I still got a great price on that too from AstroPete.

And lastly, I've been researching my next scope purchase since the start of the year, knowing I'd be buying in September. I've looked at stores all over the world to calculate costs and shipping and taxes.

I do this for almost everything I buy.
Old 20-06-2021, 02:27 PM
RB (Andrew)

I see it, I like it, I buy it.

Old 20-06-2021, 02:41 PM
Finbar (Barry)

Usually, research.
Sometimes - I see it, now I want it, I want it! Then, hmmm, perhaps I should have researched.
So, research, with occasional lapse into spontaneous happy buy, or folly.
Old 20-06-2021, 02:41 PM
Rainmaker (Matt)
Strictly Visual......

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB View Post
I see it, I like it, I buy it.

I see it, I buy it, if I like it I keep it, if I don't like it there's always someone here who might
Old 20-06-2021, 02:44 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
I see it, I buy it, if I like it I keep it, if I don't like it there's always someone here who might
Old 21-06-2021, 06:15 AM
leon

Yep same here if it is what i want I don't go shopping around for a better deal just buy it and save all the leg work.

Leon