Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 26-12-2020, 11:45 AM
yoda776 (Matt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilso View Post
Hi Matt,
Looks like there’s a EM200 Temma 3 on its way early next year.
It does come with the WIFI and USB as well. Here’s a link!

https://translate.googleusercontent....XHSAIVHNFF1Jxw
That is a good find - thank you Wilso I will look into that one for sure. Noted the google translate service is a bit dogdey but OPTCorp (link if it helps - https://optcorp.com/products/takahas...counterweights) have a web page for it with similar text to what I can translate. Hopefully available early in the new year although it was already delayed from August 2020.

Last edited by yoda776; 26-12-2020 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Checked web site.
Old 27-12-2020, 10:21 AM
AstroApprentice (Jason)

Motorised focuser for u-210

FTF & Moonlite seem to be the most popular focusers for u-210s, but you may also want to consider the Esatto - it’s also very expensive, but is an all in one motorised design with wifi. There’s a good guide to how to fit it on to the u-210 here:
https://www.siderealtrading.com.au/f...-in-australia/
Old 27-12-2020, 12:33 PM
yoda776 (Matt)

Thank you for the link AstroApprentice. It seems if I wish an external focuser the original R&P Tak focuser takes up quite a bit of back focus, moonlite next, and feathertouch. The electric focuser you refer to seems to be operated by computer (possibly wireless by tablet). Good to know about it as an option.

The way the FeatherTouch is shaping up it is comparable cost. Would like to reduce the impact on back focus and can see the ESATTO at least takes 67mm (15mm travel) - the feathertouch I think does 70-71mm (0.8 inch approx 20mm travel) according to the long 22 page thread link given earlier. Apparently the moonlite is a bit longer by 5mm.

I also saw on this thread (Page 17 of 22 post 403) a shorter visual back by a company called TNR (which I think is Texas Nautical Repair) which no longer exists, but may also be helpful (although I assume this is only so you can use the primary focuser). I think they are known by Land, Sea and Sky now but cannot find the adapter. Love to know where to find that and if it works with the third party, external focuser units.
Old 31-12-2020, 06:38 PM
yoda776 (Matt)

Just an update for those that contributed and thank you for the opinions and advice to assist - much appreciated.

I am getting a Mewlon 210. A fellow IIS member helped with some parts I was after already so a good start. Scope is on order so I am looking forward to this - if it produces visual images better than the Intes MK67 and the Meade LX200 8 inch ACF then I will be very happy.

Mount wise .. well AZEQ6 will have to do for now, although I watch with interest the EM200 Temma 3 mount due out very soon (has had a delay). I had an option for an EM200 Temma-2M but after researching this if it were a good price then no worries but the option I had available was far too expensive given the new mounts are coming out. In some respects new is good, sometimes second hand is good for the price reduction. Built in wifi means no need for SkyFi3 but will go for a Sky Safari given the amount of recommendations it is a little hard to ignore. Have an iPad so all good.

Trying to source some camera adapters Wide T Mounts and a few adapters to match the Tak diagrams, bearing in mind the difference between the focuser I have and the Tak R&P one.

Time now to honour the deal with the boss about space and start thinking of what has to go
Old 31-12-2020, 08:04 PM
AstroApprentice (Jason)

Hi Matt,
Congrats on ordering a u-210. Your eq6 will handle it fine for visual and planetary imaging and may be all you need. I had mine on a belt-modded eq5 for a while with no problems, especially in combination with a motorised focuser. I did find collimating on a star more challenging when mounted on a less robust mount, but you won’t have to do it often.
Old 01-01-2021, 12:59 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda776 View Post
Thank you Marc - for me visual is the priority so would be happy with sharp for that. Imaging I would agree there are better options - I already have a refractor I could use well for this, although the aperture on the Mewlon might be good for planetary and some DSO work it seems. I am one of those like to view things nice and sharp and may take an image or two to have something I can put on my desktop on the PC and maybe hang one up on the wall to say 'I took that'. Not wishing to be a pro, so imaging is not terribly high in consideration.

What mount did you use with the Mewlon 210? What would you recommend?

I have an option for an EM200 Temma-2M mount although it is 2010, which was previously pointed out likely will not have the Wifi but from searching the interweb that mount needs to be driven by a computer / iPad if running goto.
I use a G11. The problem is not the weight but the FL at 2600mm. It's challenging for any mount.
Old 02-01-2021, 07:08 AM
yoda776 (Matt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
I use a G11. The problem is not the weight but the FL at 2600mm. It's challenging for any mount.
Thanks i will keep that in mind with the mount. G11 has been mentioned a few times as an option.
Old 02-01-2021, 07:12 AM
yoda776 (Matt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroApprentice View Post
Hi Matt,
Congrats on ordering a u-210. Your eq6 will handle it fine for visual and planetary imaging and may be all you need. I had mine on a belt-modded eq5 for a while with no problems, especially in combination with a motorised focuser. I did find collimating on a star more challenging when mounted on a less robust mount, but you won’t have to do it often.
Thank you, it is exciting to be getting the scope. Mountwise have to see what the AZEQ6 mount does in the meantime. I will look out for something else over time otherwise and see what happens. It may not be perfect but it should do the job. It seems a Temma3 or G11 mount are the two options in the running.
Old 24-05-2021, 08:33 AM
yoda776 (Matt)

An update ... The Mewlon 210 arrived the other day and so did the customary clouds I now have the Scope and the Rowan AZ100 mount. When I get a chance to set them up I will take a photo. Glad that it has finally arrived. The TSA120 has also arrived even when it was supposed to be not until Christmas ... no complaining from me and works out fine for some viewing.

While I have moved some gear on I think more has to go unfortunately. Some hard decisions and wishing to see if both these scopes and accessories fill the holes the other scopes will leave.

Sometimes I wonder why is it we always say to ourselves we are going to downsize and then we end up with more scopes! Need to learn to let them go.
Old 24-05-2021, 10:26 AM
AnakChan (Sean)

Nice growing your Tak collection . Congratulations!
Old 24-05-2021, 10:38 AM
AstroApprentice (Jason)

Congrats Matt, did you decide on a motorised focuser for your u-210?
If not, the new prodigy from Pegasus might be another option to consider
https://pegasusastro.com/products/prodigy-microfocuser/
Btw, I had my u-250 out over the weekend and had the most incredible views...
Old 24-05-2021, 07:22 PM
DJT (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda776 View Post

While I have moved some gear on I think more has to go unfortunately. Some hard decisions and wishing to see if both these scopes and accessories fill the holes the other scopes will leave.

Sometimes I wonder why is it we always say to ourselves we are going to downsize and then we end up with more scopes! Need to learn to let them go.
Couldn’t resist..and congrats on the new toys
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (D3B4AA01-080C-4D42-A9EB-77D5399B1B8B.jpeg)
81.1 KB56 views
Old 25-05-2021, 06:56 AM
yoda776 (Matt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post
Nice growing your Tak collection . Congratulations!
Thank you AnakChan .. I convince myself at the moment the Tak Collection is at max going to be 4 scopes to replace what I have but have to do more testing to see what works.

Quote:
Motorised focuser I have not given this much thought. The Mewlon 210 I have a Moonlite focuser for and that is the extent of it. I do not mind the idea of electric focuser but been grabbing a few Tak bits and pieces and they can be expensive. Thank you for the link I will check it out. I did have an Optec TCF-Si focuser but I was just not using it. When I had to test for sale I was tempted to keep it after seeing it in operation but needed the funds. I have a moonlite with a Robofocus and that seems to work reasonably well (not for the Taks though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJT View Post
Couldn’t resist..and congrats on the new toys
Yes I think most of our conversations go like that. It seems though the house is speaking via leaky gutters and a few other things that are needing attention so might be somewhat restricted in fixing things. Happy with what I have at the moment Mewlon 210, TSA120 on the way and an FS60Q. Was thinking FSQ85EDX to round things off but not sure I can stretch myself that far.
Old 25-05-2021, 07:03 AM
yoda776 (Matt)

On the FSQ85-EDX ,,, I was checking out doing some research and found at Kyoei Osaka https://www.kyoei-osaka.jp/SHOP/takahashi-fsq85edp.html this model of an FSQ85 and not sure if it is a new version or missing / adding on any new features? Is it a new model?

I know we have the FSQ85-EDX (presumably current model) and wondered about needing the 1.01x flattener or not for it and what accessories are needed for visual? I was also considering a little astrophotography with a DSLR and maybe a imager with my ASI 174MM.
Old 25-05-2021, 07:06 AM
yoda776 (Matt)

BTW the TSA120 has been sent on its way. Apologies for any wet weather and clouds ... I was not expecting this one until Christmas given the ETA I was given two months ago.
Old 25-05-2021, 07:09 AM
yoda776 (Matt)

Quote:
Hi Jason that is great to hear about the viewing. Friday night was the best for me as we had high level wispy clouds on Saturday night - still could view but the seeing was not as good. I did consider the Mewlon 250 but it is too heavy for me. I have heard great reviews about the u-250 though ... if only the shoulders and back could cope with the weight (and the bank balance!).

Looking for first light with the Mewlon 210 when weather clears ...
Old 25-05-2021, 08:31 AM
gregbradley

Congrats on your new scopes. They sound sensational and I am sure they will give many hours of enjoyment with your fine eyepieces.

Greg.
Old 25-05-2021, 07:46 PM
yoda776 (Matt)

Thank you Greg. I am looking forward to using them and been a long time coming. Any thoughts on what you use for eyepieces in these scopes?
Old 25-05-2021, 08:58 PM
Wilso

Hi Matt,
Reading through the Fsq-85edp Japan website you linked to they quoted

“ With the release of the FSQ-85EDP, the conventional FSQ-85ED with 50.8 adapter specifications will be discontinued.”

So no 2” adapters come with the scope for visual I think, hence the P for photo.
In any case I use mine with Baader Clicklock visual back and diagonal anyway.
You’ll have to remove the CAA ring for this 2” set up to come to focus though.

Enjoy

Last edited by Wilso; 25-05-2021 at 09:43 PM.
Old 25-05-2021, 09:24 PM
Wilso

If you go through their system chart it specifies what adapters come with the scope as well.