Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 22-08-2017, 08:27 PM
Imme (Jon)

I bought an observatory....seriously I did!

Hi guys and girls, I'm new on here and have been introduced to the forum by a couple members who visited my place last week.
I've been doing a bit of camera based stuff (no scope) and have got absolutely hooked, soon to purchase some extra gear for deeper space shots........but guessing you opened this post for the 'bought an observatory' bit.....not my life story!

So what's it about....I purchased a property recently that I've since discovered was once known as the Macedon Ranges Observatory (google it and you'll find some old info about the place and some shots taken by a few international visitors).
I'm just out of Kyneton (just over an hour from Melb) nicely nestled behind the Cobaw Ranges and well out of any light pollution arcs......I've also got a 9m x 6m shed with a roof that rolls off.....seriously, the whole roof rolls off on rails. Also on site I have a number of outdoor concrete slabs that can be powered if required (all pre marked with south celestial pole direction). One of the members who visited my place is an old family friend and I won't dob him in but the shots he and another member took were really impressive....well I thought they were!

I'm hoping to get some feedback from members on whether there's any interest in setting my observatory up as a commercial venture of sorts. A few ideas thrown around to date include fixed polar aligned mounts, overnight powered scope site rental, overnight camping, etc.......there may even be an option to enter an agreement for observatory shed access where a scope could be set up on an ongoing basis.

Love to hear your thoughts people.

Whether I go the commercial option or not I look forward to chatting with you guys and sharing my learning experience with you (and getting as much advice as possible!)
Old 30-08-2017, 02:07 AM
AEAJR (Ed)

Sounds like a wonderful site.

I am in the USA so I can't advise you about going commercial as I have no idea of the landscape or how close you are to a source of customers.

If I were in your circumstances here I would look for a club. Visit one of their meetings. Offer to have them come to the site and set up their scopes to enjoy your facility. No charge, and no discussion of commercial operations. Get their feedback of the site. Perhaps offer them the use of the site once a month and see if that interests them. Again, no charge and no discussion of going commercial.

If the site is especially good for astronomy you might consider holding star parties there for a while so that people get to know it. Perhaps charge a nominal "parking" fee.

Judging from the response, after a years, you can decide if you want to try and make a commercial venture of it or not.

Another thought might be to offer permanent rental sites for people who want to set up remotely controlled observatories. If you have powered concrete pads they could set up an observatory there and either come to use it or run it remotely. Naturally you would have to supply power and internet access.

Just some thoughts.
Old 30-08-2017, 07:19 AM
Shano592 (Shane)

Hi Jon,

Welcome to Iceinspace. We hope you enjoy your stay.

I have heard of the property (though I cannot recall where...) and it sounds excellent. I like the idea of permanent pier setups. that would make for a very fast alignment!

So, what are the other important details of the property? Size, other amenities. For example, does the site have an airstrip, or dams with lots of yabbies/trout/crocodiles?
Old 30-08-2017, 07:55 AM
AEAJR (Ed)

Bathrooms?

Air conditioned cocktail lounge?
Old 30-08-2017, 11:22 AM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

Quote:
dams with lots of yabbies/trout/crocodiles?
There was a dam near the house that had something in it that left a bow wave as it moved

Andrew
Old 30-08-2017, 07:30 PM
Wavytone

More likely eels...

More seriously though Jon, if you're envisaging significant numbers the needs include:

a) 240VAC power;
b) toilet facilities of some sort;
c) potable water (tank) and somewhere to eat / drink (even if it is BYO);
d) closely followed by garbage disposal;
e) somewhere for people to warm up - a small cabin with a heater and something to sit on is ideal - away from the scopes where a little light won't bother the observers;
f) somewhere for those wanting a sleep to flop before driving home;
g) insurance.

In effect it amounts to a camping ground with say some unpowered sites for tents, powered sites for caravans, a communal facilities block with a kitchen, a heated lounge room, toilets and a couple of showers, plus a separate area for setting up scopes away from the people and lights/noise.

If you can manage that lot you should charge a few $ per head per night.

Last edited by Wavytone; 30-08-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:59 PM
Imme (Jon)

Thanks for the feedback guys.....and Andrew, it seems you've met the resident yellowbelly before (80cm ATM).

I bought the property for the lifestyle.....only having a minor interest in astronomy previously......but now I've done the research and had some input from some experienced guys who took some pics a couple weeks ago I've definitely stepped up a gear.

You've given me some food for thought without a doubt.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:05 PM
Imme (Jon)

Shanno.......

I'm on 23acres. State forest on two sides and no neighbors in cooee distance.....height of property means I miss the light arc of Melbourne and I'm hidden behind two mountain ranges...... One a couple kms away.... The other being Mt Macedon approx 20km away....... Really dark skies is what Im saying....... a moonless night here = no light other than stars.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:26 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Congrats Jon. In my early days of observing, I went there once or twice when the (a?) previous owner was trying to attract amateur observers. I recall I had a great time observing my first double moon transit of Jupiter. Driving out in the early hours of the morning was done with caution - the gravel road was as advised: "this is a steep winding gravel road with numerous 'blind spots', tight corners, fallen debris, kangaroos and other hazards.)" At that time there were no facilities apart from a concrete slab which is all I wanted. Soon after that he moved into the professional astronomy market, setting up the large observatory for remote scopes. Also Snake Valley Observatory was getting established and was my preferred location for a number of reasons.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:14 AM
Imme (Jon)

Great to hear you've actually visited Erick........and met our many kangaroo friends!
From what I understand the previous owner did have some success with both international visitors and remote scope placement. Obviously the facilities he constructed to house these activities are still on site.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:32 AM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

Gday Jon

Quote:
it seems you've met the resident yellowbelly
Is that what it was :-)
We didnt know at the time.
I was up there when Bert was first setting it up and a group of us used to go there and test out the pads etc.
Aligning was always a problem as there were too many stars visible.
Also amazing to see the number of roos that used to go across the bottom section of the property.

Andrew
Old 02-09-2017, 08:40 AM
Imme (Jon)

......aligning may have been a problem because there are too many stars.......but what a problem to have!!!!