Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:56 PM
richard3030 (Richard)

Dark sky sites around Sydney

Hey all,

I am relatively new to amateur astronomy, and I've done a bit of star-watching in my hideously light-polluted backyard.

I'm just wondering if anyone has suggestions for good dark sky sites around Sydney. I am planning to join an astronomy society, but I'm not always going to be able to go to their observing nights, due to my somewhat unpredictable schedule.

Cheers,
Richard.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:11 PM
lacad01 (Adam)
The sky is Messier here!

Hi Richard, welcome to IIS
There's a few of options for Sydney:
- Blue Mountains. Some of us get together from time to time at Katoomba Airfield. Check out the Star Party, Club and Community section for details. Alternatively another spot is Hargraves Lookout at Blackheath.
- Central Coast. Mangrove Mountain Pony Club, again details in the above link.
- The ASNSW has a site at Bowen Mountain or if you want to travel a bit further, Ilford near Mudgee.
cheers
Old 08-01-2013, 09:47 PM
seeker372011 (Narayan)
6EQUJ5

Linden Observatory in the blue mountains. Closer than Katoomba, but I dont know how much better the skies are at katoomba

for visual work Windsor is not bad. (near Tebutts observatory)
not so good for imaging because of gradients from light pollution all around..but a good place to say observe a meteor shower
Old 08-01-2013, 10:42 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard3030 View Post
Hey all,

I am relatively new to amateur astronomy, and I've done a bit of star-watching in my hideously light-polluted backyard.

I'm just wondering if anyone has suggestions for good dark sky sites around Sydney. I am planning to join an astronomy society, but I'm not always going to be able to go to their observing nights, due to my somewhat unpredictable schedule.

Cheers,
Richard.
Hi Richard,

Welcome to Ice in Space!

It depends what your definition of "dark" is. I've tried various sites around Sydney over the last few months, many found by using Google maps to find an open area that seems to be shielded from street lights. For example, I've been to Kuringai Chase National park in the north and out near Windsor in the west and been very disappointed. Last week I went to the Pony Club on Mangrove Mountain for the first time and the sky there was pretty good. Not truly dark but dark enough to make some meaningful observations. It took me around 1 hour 15 minutes to get there from Ryde.

So my rough rule of thumb now is that I need to travel an hour or more away from Sydney to get decent skies.

The Pony Club will be on this saturday, weather permitting.

Cheers

Morton
Old 09-01-2013, 09:52 AM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

I found a reasonable spot on an old helipad clearing in the Royal National Park just south of Sydney. Sydney's skyglow is, of course, still pretty visible to the north but every other direction is reasonably dark and it's pretty sheltered from the wind. For me from the eastern subs it only takes just over an hour

Here it is on Google Maps:
https://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=-3...num=1&t=h&z=16

And I've attached a pano I took there last year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (rnp_pano.JPG)
193.6 KB808 views
Old 09-01-2013, 06:34 PM
Irish stargazer (John)

Welcome aboard

Crago in the Blue Mountains is semi dark and good enough for astrophotography. It can be tricky to park if it is busy and its quite rocky but is always open on the day advertised. Ilford (Wiruna) is very dark but its a good 2.5-3 hours from Sydney.
The Pony Club is about as dark as Crago (give or take a little bit) and is very comfortable, big open field and easy to get to. It can sometimes be off limits due to equestrian events so best to check on the forum before travelling. This shot was taken at the PC last Saturday in soft conditions.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8093/8...77e95ac3_k.jpg
Old 13-01-2013, 01:03 AM
madbadgalaxyman (Robert)

I used to (a long time ago!) regularly lug a 10 inch F4 Newtonian along a lot of roads within a few hundred kms of Sydney, nearly always to dark sky sites. (Now I am in Brisbane, which is on average noticeably less cloudy.)

Here are a few suggestions, if you really want to get far away from the light pollution.
I haven’t been to most of these places for years, but some of them should still be useable sites.

Mt Bindo, along the Jenolan Caves road;
A dark site, very high altitude, and very accessible. Can get very cold here at any time of year, due to the altitude.

Sites Along the Putty Road:
Driving gradually north along this road, starting from the Colo River, the sky rapidly gets darker, as there is not much settlement in this direction. If you can find a site, this is one of the best directions to travel from Sydney for dark sky viewing, as light pollution falls off more rapidly than when you drive away from Sydney in other directions. The Putty road is surrounded by enormous national parks, so this also explains the darkness of the sky here.

The Mullions Range State forest, to the North of Orange:
This had many accessible viewing sites, and it was a very dark site.
Also due to the rainshadow effect, this site is usually a lot less cloudy than anywhere that is nearer to the ranges.

cheers, Bad galaxy man
Old 13-01-2013, 05:59 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Bretti Reserve is about as good as it gets, when it gets good.
At 32 km north of Gloucester, along Thunderbolt Way it is probably about 3 hours from Sydney.
Very big flat open field.
FREE camping site (max stay 30 days) so there will be others there, but typically they go lights out early.
Equal to the darkest skies I have seen anywhere in Australia (on a good night).
Can get to below zero in Winter (generally the best time for observing)
A group of Sydney/Central Coasters regularly go as a group for 4 days (Thurs-Sun)
Very Informal
Two nice clean streams meet, water activities during hot days popular.

Downside:
Caretaker/Neighbour often lets his horses or cows out to graze, so ... sh!t happens! (Wellingtons can be handy)
Drop bush toilets (generally OK but can get on the nose in hot times)
Need to bring your own everything (water, food, drink, shelter, POWER, etc)
Can get to below zero in Winter (best time for observing)
Can get pretty hot in summer.
Can get busy in holiday times.

See Star Parties forum for past/future details
I can be ready to go at short notice if you want to go there for a few days this week
Old 20-01-2013, 11:25 PM
SA_Dolphin_22 (Tony)

Dark Sky Sites around Sydney

Hi Richard,
The afore mentioned site at Bowen Mountain was the local site where I initially started with the scope 20 years ago as a Hawksbury Society Member and whilst not knowing how far or where in Sydney you are it may be a nice close site that can give some great dark nights despite it's relative closeness to townships. Not too sure what has been done up there now as residing in SA but give it a go.
Cheers
Tony
Old 22-01-2013, 07:27 AM
tlgerdes (Trevor)
Love the moonless nights!

Join up to any of the astronomical societies around Sydney, they all have dark sites around the out skirts of Sydney. The benefit being of not viewing alone. As one member puts on his signature, twos company, three is a star party.