Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:36 PM
Spaced Out

Southern Hemisphere Polar Alignment.

Hi, I was just wondering if any of you kind hearted forum readers have an easy, simple, reasonably accurate method of polar alignment.
I have done a quick google search and everything seems pretty complex. Maybe it is, but if someone has a tried and tested method thats reasonably simple for us real amateur astronomers, I, as I am sure others would love to hear how its done please feel free to include pictures links or what ever you need to explain yourself.
Clear Skies
Brett
Old 01-05-2006, 02:43 PM
RB (Andrew)

Try Bert's wonderful explination.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:45 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Hi Brett. There are a couple of methods you could use, but if you want to get really accurate then drift aligning is the way to go. It's easy to do but hard to explain Do a search of the site for drift aligning there is plenty here. Also Google drift aligning for the southern hemisphere.

If you don't have one, then you will need to get an illuminated reticle (crosshair eyepiece) to get your drift accurate.

If you have no joy in working it out come and visit us at Astroron's place on the Sunshine Coast next dark of the Moon and I can show you how it's done. C'mon it's only a couple of hours south of you
Old 01-05-2006, 03:36 PM
Spaced Out

Thanks I will!

Thanks Paul,
I better have a good look around you never know someone might have come up with an easy way. Better get myself a illuminated reticle.
Cheers Brett
Old 26-05-2006, 02:05 PM
JimmyH155

I have used the following method with my equatorial wedge 8 inch Meade. First you will need a hand bearing compass - get a good one from a yacht chandler. Then go along to your hardware store and get a builder's level about 500mm long or so. Next stop is Bureau of Meterology to find out what the magnetic variation is in your area. There is available on the web, a map of Aussie with contours showing the info. Brisbane where I live has variation 12.5 degrees East. You will also need your latitude. Bris is 27.5 degrees S.
This is what you do
Set up tripod roughly south
Get hand bearing compass and, aligning it along the direction the scope will be fixed, move the tripod legs to point the wedge due south - that is 180 degrees: PLUS variation West, or MINUS for variation East. ie Brissie is 12.5 deg E so I am pointing due south when compass reads 180-12.5 = 167.5 deg. Perth is about 2 deg West so in Perth you would be pointing due south when compass says 180 + 2 =182deg. EASY.
Next step, get out the builders level and set up the top of the tripod support dead level both fore and aft and also side to side, by adjusting the legs of the tripod.
Next, to set the latitude accurately: The telescope makers sometimes have setting gismos, but not very accurate. Do This:
Get a piece of 3mm plywood about 750mm long by say 500mm wide. then you have to mark out a right angle triangle with one angle 90 degrees, the other equal to your latitude (Brissie 27.5 degrees), say with long straight edge 400mm long. the other angle will be whatever. Ask the kids about trigonometry to get the angles correct.
Cut out accurately the triangle of ply and place it (the short edge) on the face of the wedge (which is assumed roughly set up). The top of the ply will be roughly horizontal. If it is not, turn the plywood upside down). Get the builder's level out and lay it on top of the plywood and adjust the angle till the bubble in the level is in middle.
Lock everything down including the tripod legs to stop them moving.
Mount telescope on the wedge, bolt up and I wouldn'y mind guessing you are spot on enough - well at least for visual and imaging software.
Hope this helps .
Old 26-05-2006, 03:38 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Brett

Are you using a German Equatorial Mount with a built in "Polar Alignment Scope", which is a small 'scope (usually 6 x 21) mounted in the RA axis?

Or, do you have a fork mounted SCT?

Or, none of the above?

Cheers

Dennis
Old 31-05-2006, 03:32 PM
Spaced Out

Back .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis
Hi Brett

Are you using a German Equatorial Mount with a built in "Polar Alignment Scope", which is a small 'scope (usually 6 x 21) mounted in the RA axis?

Or, do you have a fork mounted SCT?

Or, none of the above?

Cheers

Dennis
Hi Dennis ,
I have an eq6 mount with skyscan installed.
I only just got out of hospital today so soory to anyone who's been trying to track me down.
Old 31-05-2006, 04:03 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Good to see you back Brett, hope all is well with you.
Old 31-05-2006, 04:44 PM
Spaced Out

Cheers Mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis
Good to see you back Brett, hope all is well with you.
Hi Thanks Dennis, Too say I am spaced out is pretty acurate at the moment. Last Thursaday I went to the doc's with a pain in the guts. Woke up a day and a half later with a few feet of intestines missing plus the dreaded belly bag, I am now a very sore and sorry boy oh well on the up side I am alive but it's sure going to slow me up for a bit.Oh yes and that was nearly two weeks ago.
My setup belonged to striker. (Tony)
Celestron c11 eq6 with sky scan etc. Kept spending till I was broke!
All I got to do now is get a look through her.,
Thanks Again Brett