Old 28-07-2021, 07:20 PM
daz (Darren)

Advice for beginner setup

I'm thinking of buying a dslr to hook up to my mak, and would like to know if it is as easy as buying a t-ring for the camera & a variable projection adapter?
Old 29-07-2021, 05:35 AM
PKay (Peter)

Hi Darren

From what I can make out, the adapter goes between the camera and a telescope.

If that is the case, a better question would be 'what is the best scope for a beginner?

This question has been answered a million times so do some research.

Astrophotography is a never ending journey. Have fun along the way !
Old 29-07-2021, 12:04 PM
raymo

Hi Darren, The Mak is only suitable for smaller objects such as planets and
planetary nebulae, and close up lunar work, due to it being very slow photographically, and its great focal length giving it a narrow field of view.
You could do a tiny number of the very brightest of DSOs, but in most cases you wouldn't get the the whole object in your field of view.
All this means that for other than lunar and planetary work you will need it mounted on an equatorial mount and do long guided exposures, which is
another whole ball game. Also, for lunar and planetary a video camera is the weapon of choice, so you can select the best individual frames for stacking.
You will need an eyepiece projection adaptor for the various EP and barlow
combinations you will use. With barlows you need high quality, as el cheapos
won't cut it.
If you are not looking for very high quality results you can do single exposures of the moon and get passable images, but take lots of them and
select the best one.
For basic prime focus imaging all you need is the T-ring. When using EPs you just need to add an EP projection adaptor.
raymo

Last edited by raymo; 29-07-2021 at 12:09 PM. Reason: more text
Old 29-07-2021, 04:44 PM
daz (Darren)

Thanks, Raymo, not really interested in spending hours in front of a computer to do this, as I already spend more than enough time on one for other reasons. Just looking to take the odd shot if what I'm seeing is notable.
But, yeah, having a camera with good video capabilities might be good for some things.
Old 29-07-2021, 05:10 PM
Wilsil (Wilco)

I will throw in a curve ball. :-)
Last year I started with a DSLR which I already had. It didn't took long before I realised that a dedicated astro camera is the way to go.
If you already had a DSLR I would say try it with a T-ring.
But since you have to buy one, why not a dedicated astro color camera?

And about not interested in spending hours in front of a computer, you entered the wrong hobby. Ask my wife. :-)
The images you take need some processing one way or the other to bring out the details yo want.
Old 29-07-2021, 05:28 PM
RyanJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz View Post
Thanks, Raymo, not really interested in spending hours in front of a computer to do this, as I already spend more than enough time on one for other reasons. Just looking to take the odd shot if what I'm seeing is notable.
But, yeah, having a camera with good video capabilities might be good for some things.
Famous last words Darren. Astrophotography is almost addictive enough to need a regulatory body.

That being said, it doesn’t mean you have to start off at the top and I totally get where you’re coming from just wanting to take the odd shot as that’s where I started too.

As has been eluded to, the Mak is quite unforgiving for anything outside planetary imaging. Not that it can’t be done, again that’s the scope I started with. As far as your camera selection goes. Pick up something with live view as it will make life so much easier for focusing. Buy a batinov mask to aid focusing ( google search what that is and how to use it ) and get a t-ring and t adaptor to suit your focuser size ( 2” or 1 1/4 ).

There’s no need to spend a lot of money while you dip your toes in. There’ll be plenty of time to do that later

Have fun !

Cheers

Ryan