Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22-07-2021, 11:35 AM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

I have got round stars at approx 2000mm focal length - from memory though that was 5 min exposures. I should do some more testing sometime, but I doubt I'll have problems at 10 min.

I'm not sure what the home switch is, but the mount has a concept of a zero position. Part of the calibration process for the encoders includes it searching for the zero position. In normal usage, you can tell it to go to the zero position and then the relative encoders work from that (AFAIK). Perfectly usable for remote setup.
Old 22-07-2021, 07:40 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

I don't know for sure about the EC mounts (I think they do) but my non EC CEM70 has homing sensors.
Old 22-07-2021, 09:52 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazjen View Post
I have got round stars at approx 2000mm focal length - from memory though that was 5 min exposures. I should do some more testing sometime, but I doubt I'll have problems at 10 min.

I'm not sure what the home switch is, but the mount has a concept of a zero position. Part of the calibration process for the encoders includes it searching for the zero position. In normal usage, you can tell it to go to the zero position and then the relative encoders work from that (AFAIK). Perfectly usable for remote setup.
Yes that is what I was referring to. Software Bisque and AP call it a home switch but its a reference point that aligns the scope so its ready to do go -tos.

Greg.
Old 22-07-2021, 09:56 PM
Logieberra (Logan)

Greg - it’s the same thing as your SB mounts - except iOptron’s homing is it’s “Zero Position”. The ZP is the position where the counterweight shaft points to ground, telescope is at the highest position with its axis parallel to the polar axis and the telescope is pointing to the Celestial Pole. You need to reset the ZP every time the clutches are disengaged.

At the end of each session, I park in the ZP.

Shame our APs don’t include homing switches/ZP…
Old 23-07-2021, 08:26 AM
JohnH
Member # 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
I don't know for sure about the EC mounts (I think they do) but my non EC CEM70 has homing sensors.

You can set and goto the ZERO position (thus you have the encoders set to match the CW down position). You also calibrate the encoders from that position. I always goto zero at the end of a session but you can also park at other positions if you want to and the mount will know where it starts from which makes more sense for permanent set ups.

https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/g...x4NxfhbTvCg%3D
Old 23-07-2021, 09:41 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logieberra View Post
Greg - it’s the same thing as your SB mounts - except iOptron’s homing is it’s “Zero Position”. The ZP is the position where the counterweight shaft points to ground, telescope is at the highest position with its axis parallel to the polar axis and the telescope is pointing to the Celestial Pole. You need to reset the ZP every time the clutches are disengaged.

At the end of each session, I park in the ZP.

Shame our APs don’t include homing switches/ZP…
Sounds good and yes I would like that facility on my AP. I think it is available as a kit if you have the latest electronic controller.

Greg.