Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects

Old 14-07-2021, 05:20 PM
Cliff (Clifford)

AZEQ6GT Bearing specs part numbers ?

Hi all,

In lockdown thinking of hypertuning my AZEQ6GT but can not find the specifications or part numbers for the bearings anywhere. Might even replace the worm bearings with ceramic I believe that is what others do .

I think there are kits available as well

As always any help appreciated ,

Cliff
Old 19-07-2021, 03:43 PM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

Hi Cliff.

Most of the time, the main bearings do not need replacing, nor do the worm drive bearings.

I usually pull mine apart and very carefully pop the seals out, wash them in degreaser then rinse them in hot soapy water before blowing them out with compressed air. Be careful not to let the bearings spin up with the compressed air, it could tear your fingers apart if it locks up and destroy the bearing as it was run hot with no lube.

When you have all the grease and crap out, use a PTFE style lube like Super Lube to re-grease. You do not need a lot, enough to lube the rollers and the race with as small bit to spare is enough.

Pay attention to where the worm wheels run on their shafts and clean these areas with a very fine wet and dry to get them as smooth as possible with out really removing any material.

Thoroughly clean your worm wheels and drives the same way as your bearings and dry off. Use a small amount of Super Lube again.

The real trick is to get the tension on the bearings correct, basically just enough to stop the shaft from floating length ways plus a tiny bit more. Then you need to set the worm wheel and drive lash once reassembled, and this is key to your success. Do it with a basic adjustment first, then load your mount with all your gear and finish the adjustment loaded.

Plenty of videos on You tube and I believe there is a guide floating around here on IIS that will be of assistance.

Good luck.
Old 19-07-2021, 03:47 PM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

Super Lube

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/25476993...yABEgLT_fD_BwE
Old 19-07-2021, 03:48 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
Hi Cliff.

Most of the time, the main bearings do not need replacing, nor do the worm drive bearings.

I usually pull mine apart and very carefully pop the seals out, wash them in degreaser then rinse them in hot soapy water before blowing them out with compressed air. Be careful not to let the bearings spin up with the compressed air, it could tear your fingers apart if it locks up and destroy the bearing as it was run hot with no lube.

When you have all the grease and crap out, use a PTFE style lube like Super Lube to re-grease. You do not need a lot, enough to lube the rollers and the race with as small bit to spare is enough.

Pay attention to where the worm wheels run on their shafts and clean these areas with a very fine wet and dry to get them as smooth as possible with out really removing any material.

Thoroughly clean your worm wheels and drives the same way as your bearings and dry off. Use a small amount of Super Lube again.

The real trick is to get the tension on the bearings correct, basically just enough to stop the shaft from floating length ways plus a tiny bit more. Then you need to set the worm wheel and drive lash once reassembled, and this is key to your success. Do it with a basic adjustment first, then load your mount with all your gear and finish the adjustment loaded.

Plenty of videos on You tube and I believe there is a guide floating around here on IIS that will be of assistance.

Good luck.
Good post. Amazing what preloading ball bearings can do. It sounds counter intuitive at first.
Old 20-07-2021, 07:16 AM
Cliff (Clifford)

Thanks Marc and Bart,

Appreciate the effort to get back to me, it is not bad just a little stiction as they say and the dec has a bit of a squeak nothing too bad backlash seems quite low.

I did some bearing type work when I was an Apprentice but mostly electronics since.

From the videos I need a tool to remove the lower part and another to remove the worm if I go that far.

I have decided to sell it but if it doesn't then I may go ahead quite a solid mount, bit heavy to carry out very night.

Cheers
Cliff
Old 20-07-2021, 09:37 AM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

Good luck with whatever way you go!
Old 20-07-2021, 09:38 AM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Good post. Amazing what preloading ball bearings can do. It sounds counter intuitive at first.
(no "like" button)
Old 21-07-2021, 04:08 PM
rbronca

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/2...each-elements/

This grease is similar and readily available:
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...sz=36&start=24

This tool works great to undo the end of the RA shaft: https://www.bunnings.com.au/craftrig...anner_p6270612

Whilst your there, you should also replace the belts. I got mine from RS-Online. I went with the 180mm on my RA as mentioned in the first link.
https://au.rs-online.com/web/c/mecha...612,4294877625
Make sure you buy a spare or two.

Here is the guide I used:
http://reset.cbm8bit.com/uploads/fil...de%20final.pdf

Hope this helps.

Robert
Old 22-07-2021, 08:50 AM
Cliff (Clifford)

Thanks Robert much appreciated, though I did end up selling the mount may get another if I ever get in a more Astro friendly place .
Cliff