Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Celestial and Astronomical Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18-12-2021, 11:31 PM
doppler (Rick)

Might be a bit of action happening with the core? A quick grab between the clouds tonight with the 10" reflector.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (comrt leonard1200mm.jpg)
85.7 KB171 views
Old 18-12-2021, 11:42 PM
D44bond (Dragos)

Just saw it tonight through 10x50 binos in rural Vic, around 9:40. It was clearly visible through the binos, but not naked eye yet. Not comet McNaught but still it was an amazing sight
Old 19-12-2021, 08:27 AM
Graman (GR)

No luck from suburban Sydney the last couple of nights. Fri evening was clear but still too bright due to late sunset and light pollution near the horizon looking out west. Can see the think sliver phase of Venus, but nothing else surrounding it…let alone Leonard.

Going down the coast on Christmas Eve, hope the sky conditions are better. But weather forecast doesn’t look promising…oh well…
Old 19-12-2021, 10:13 AM
anj026
Plyscope

Managed to catch it in the 6x30 binocular about 1945 yesterday evening. I'm north west WA at the moment. I reckon it was about 5 degrees to the left of Venus. Faint but definitely fuzzy.
Old 19-12-2021, 11:11 AM
AussieTrooper (Ben)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Tucker View Post
Goodluck .. the cloud has congregated over the western horizon. Monday might be good.
I got a fleeting glance through binos at around 9:50pm. Haze affected, with the indicator stars above it also popping in and out of visibility.
Old 19-12-2021, 01:52 PM
Finbar (Barry)

Late report

I’ve the advantage of being more northerly (-17.35°), but the disadvantage of tropics’ wet season clouds.

The neighbour and I headed out last night around 7:15 (8:15 in Southern Silly Time). There were patch of clear sky, each window growing shorter until about 8:00 we gave up.

This time we had 2 binoculars, 10x42 and 20x80 (bad chromatic aberration), and we both got to enjoy the view. The Terebellum asterism proved easier to use as a guide. In the 20x the core looked a bright fuzzy ball, surrounded by a bright haze ball, then hazy patch slightly extending right and up. In the 10x the core looked like a small star, so kore like a point, surrounded by the two layers of haze. I regretted not having taken the 105mm, but will take it with me on my overnight in Cairns to night. Just hope the clouds will be kinder.

Stellarium updated with this comet has been showing its position accurately. This evening it will be a little above star Terebellum IV.

Barry

Late addition: as others mentioned, even here we could not see it with naked eyes. Luna is just too bright, and revealed higher level wispy clouds.
Old 19-12-2021, 09:11 PM
Finbar (Barry)

Well, clearest view so far, but over at 7:31 because hills are worse than clouds. Sky was still too bright, but my sister and nieces were delighted to be able to say they saw it, at 20x in CFF 105mm with 32mm plossl. Clear core, hazy short “tail”.
Old 20-12-2021, 08:27 AM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finbar View Post
Well, clearest view so far, but over at 7:31 because hills are worse than clouds. Sky was still too bright, but my sister and nieces were delighted to be able to say they saw it, at 20x in CFF 105mm with 32mm plossl. Clear core, hazy short “tail”.
Elusive little thing. I tried finding it with 10x80 Bino's .. thought I had spotted it .. fading in an out. Might have to bring out the big guns tonight.
Old 20-12-2021, 04:02 PM
doppler (Rick)

The comet appears to have had an outburst on the 18th, the coma is much denser on the 19th.

Both nights, 1 single exposure 5 sec each at iso 1600 canon 1100d and a 10"f4.8 newt. The lower image is from the 18th. The background is a bit darker on the 19th, the comet is higher in the sky
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (18th 19th.jpg)
137.3 KB119 views
Old 20-12-2021, 09:28 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

I viewed the comet tonight with 8x30 binoculars and with 80 & 100mm scopes. The head was bright, and had plenty of coma around it. There was a faint tail heading off above.

I could glimpse it with the unaided eye, but it was faint and I would not have recognized it as being a comet. I estimated it to be Mag 5.3, which seems to actually be a good guess, despite flashing Xmas lights nearby.

It was to the south of Venus, but above Venus, so if One can see Venus then it will be possible for One to also find the comet.

The comet should be higher tmo, and the Moon will rise later.
Old 20-12-2021, 09:30 PM
Finbar (Barry)

Nearly futile attempt to find clearer skies further west, but ran into smoke haze and thin clouds. Doubled back and found a less than ideal spot near Qld’s highest road, and waited for gaps in clouds. Didn’t bother putting up the scope, it was that bad.

It did appear, but never completely clear of thin cloud, and yet i can confirm that it was naked eye visible - just so without my glasses, but I knew exactly where to look. The view in the binoculars wasn’t as good as previous night, due to haze, the core reasonably bright, but barely anything of a tail at all. At least I got to follow it for longer this time. Interesting watching distance grow between it and nearest star, HIP 100196, below, when it poked through the haze; quite noticeable over only a 30 minute period.

Heading home now. Hope more of you south had better chance tonight with it at higher altitude.

Edit: binoculars were 10x42.

Last edited by Finbar; 20-12-2021 at 10:42 PM.
Old 20-12-2021, 09:56 PM
Graman (GR)

Been enjoying watching Comet Leonard for the past 45 min from Sydney. Spotted it first using my 7 x 50 binos. Got excited and set up 8 inch SCT. Views are pretty good today. Can push mags to 200x and can easily make out the core and the diffused tail.

Finally! Yeah…
Old 20-12-2021, 09:59 PM
Dave882 (David)

From suburban Sydney I managed to get a look tonight with the c8. Definitely not visible by naked eye with that much light pollution and haze but core and fat and rather squashed “tail” visible through the scope. It will be easier once it’s a little higher and not right over my neighbours hot roof
Old 20-12-2021, 10:11 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Managed to pick up Comet Leonard just before 10pm with the 10 x 50 Binos.
Obvious greenish hazy patch but no definite tail.
Not naked eye.
Old 20-12-2021, 11:01 PM
Finbar (Barry)

Home again, and pleased to see more of you down south found it.

Appears my coastal neighbour Tropo-Bob and I were drafting reports at the same time.

Quote:
I could glimpse it with the unaided eye, but it was faint and I would not have recognized it as being a comet. I estimated it to be Mag 5.3…
Yes, it seems our northern positions aided, with sunset relatively earlier, hence both of us reported naked eye status of the core. In fact, each time I've be surprised by the size of the core, but I'm a newbie re comets. The MPC data imported into Stellarium suggests mag 4.87 reduced to 5.3, as Bob suggested, but to my eye the core was brighter than the Terebellum stars (4.4–4.8, reduced to 4.95–5.4), but like a star fuzzied by thin cloud. Tonight I could not make out the greenish tinge that was definitely there 2 and 3 nights ago.

Our forecasts are for steadily rising chance of rain and eventual storms, so I doubt I'll get any more opportunities. Wish I were in Winton at the moment.
Barry
Old 21-12-2021, 08:42 AM
AussieTrooper (Ben)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Tucker View Post
Goodluck .. the cloud has congregated over the western horizon. Monday might be good.
You were correct Hans. It was quite clear last night, even with all the LP. I bit the bullet and bought new binos for it. Got the canon 15x50 image stabilised ones. They clearly showed the coma, though I couldn't see any of the tail.
Old 22-12-2021, 12:01 AM
Hemi

My 11 year old daughter and I had a nice look this evening. A teeny bit higher for us in Darwin. Nice display, with Jupiter, Saturn, Venus and Mercury all lined up, and an almost equilateral triangle between S, V and L. Nice and bright in a pair of 15x50 Bins.
Old 22-12-2021, 09:25 AM
Myrk511 (Kevin)

Saw Leonard in Melbourne

Southeast suburbs last night an excellent view in both the 114mm f7.9 and the 200mm f6. Coma was a bright fuzzy ball, the tail was diffuse and oval. Colour was bluish white. Brightness was equal to the surrounding stars in the telescopes.

The clouds ended the show at 22:30 but before that it was almost naked eye, easy in binoculars, and pretty cool in the scopes.

Moar clouds for the next couple of nights. Let’s hope there’s a bit of a break before it fades.
Old 22-12-2021, 10:16 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

I viewed the comet tonight with my Vixen 115ED. It looked great; the length of the tail showing well with a 35mm Panoptic and the head with a 14mm Delos.

I thought it looked brighter, but conditions were clearer tonight and I was also using a larger scope.

It was about 15 degrees south of Saturn and at about the same elevation.
Old 23-12-2021, 12:10 AM
Finbar (Barry)

Also clear up here on the Atherton tablelands, unexpectedly
Since had been promised rain. So grabbed gear and popped out of town. Then even the wispy clouds vanished as I set up, 105mm on AZ-EQ6. Aligned on Venus (really pretty thin crescent) and then added binoviewer with Denk 21mm.

When dark enough to find, it was a delight, bright core, lovely come and ample tail. But had stupidly set tripod up too high, so eventually it was too awkward to continue. Best view so far, and when no more was expected.