Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 14-02-2019, 05:50 PM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Finally EOS RP: the most affordable full frame DSLR announced !

After the first mirrorless Canon DSLR EOS R, yesterday they announced the RP.
The lack of a mirror box makes it lighter and smaller.
It probably has the 6Mk2 sensor, but retails for $1300 which is about A$1800.

A FF DSLR is never been that affordable, even the Sony A7II was more expensive.

Due to its price, it has less possibilities than the EOS R, so it appears like a 'stripped down 6D', but still is full frame and suitable for AP.
And with an extra $150 adapter it mounts, all EF and EF-S lenses as well.

https://www.dpreview.com/products/ca...s/canon_eos_rp
Old 14-02-2019, 06:31 PM
glend (Glen)

I read the reviews and while it is well priced there appear to be some image quality issues when compared to the admittedly much more expensive Nikon Z7. For example, in the garden photos compared the Canon was lacking in central detail and had some serious focus issues in the corners. Have a look at these photos and make up your own mine:

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2019/02/c...aiting-for/amp

For AP work you really want even field focusing and that would be enough to put me off. Just my opinion. I am sure they will sell heaps of them. In fairness it may come down to the lens quality in those examples. We need to see a full frame AP shot to determine how well the sensor performs.
Old 14-02-2019, 06:43 PM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
I read the reviews and while it is well priced there appear to be some image quality issues when compared to the admittedly much more expensive Nikon Z7. For example, in the garden photos compared the Canon was lacking in central detail and had some serious focus issues in the corners.
The Z7 is an upmarket Nikon DSLR which is actually a mirrorless D850, in the same class as the Canon 5Mk4. Canon has no mirrorless yet comparable to 5Mk4 which competes with the Z7 / D850, so this is comparing apples and oranges.

And about lacking detail: that is a lens issue, not a camera / sensor issue.
Old 14-02-2019, 08:57 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

An interesting move by Canon, and so soon. Nice upgrade path for those with mid-range DSLRs.

The Z6 and Z7 look great on paper, but according to posts I’ve seen, they exhibit pattern noise when stretching the shadows...IMO not very useful for astro.

If the Canons fare better in this respect, they will secure the loyalty of astro imagers...
Old 15-02-2019, 05:06 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysurfer View Post
The Z7 is an upmarket Nikon DSLR which is actually a mirrorless D850, in the same class as the Canon 5Mk4. Canon has no mirrorless yet comparable to 5Mk4 which competes with the Z7 / D850, so this is comparing apples and oranges.

As I said, if you had quoted my full post re the uneven focus, "it may come down to lens quality". For some buyers buying better lenses is a financial consideration that narrows the cost gap. This is a good example of why quoting out of context changes the response.

Last edited by glend; 15-02-2019 at 05:23 AM.
Old 15-02-2019, 12:44 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

And the prices of the R series lenses are shocking

For what looks like the same sensor as the 6D MkII, I’ll think I’ll pass on this one...
Old 13-03-2019, 05:59 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysurfer View Post

Canon EOS R is the closest to a 5D4 mirrorless. Same sensor, better AF but not as good at tracking just like Z7 is not at tracking as the D850.

I have an EOS R and Sony A7riii. The Sony is technically the better camera but the EOS R has great colour, good AF and great ergonomics. Its also more astro friendly with no funny filtering of RAW that messes with stars like the Sony models (its getting better though) and some Nikon's.
I believe the Z6 and 7 are fine for astro.

Greg.
Old 13-03-2019, 06:26 PM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
And the prices of the R series lenses are shocking
You don't need to buy that expensive RF lenses.
An R or RP with a $150 (some offers include it for free) mounts all EF and EF-S lenses, Canon or third party. And an EF to T-ring adapter for a telescope will also mount.
Old 13-03-2019, 11:05 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Still struggling to see the advantage, if just using an adapter to use EF lenses.

I’ve seen the 6D MkII under AU$1500 several times in the last few months.
Old 30-03-2019, 08:30 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Still struggling to see the advantage, if just using an adapter to use EF lenses.

For astro the advantages would be mostly ergonomic. Smaller and lighter so easier on a tracker.

Variangle rear LCD would be the most useful improvement over a fixed LCD which must make focusing a painful experience.

Not sure about the 6D but RP has an incamera intervalometer.

As far as noise levels go - I am not sure but RP has the latest Digic 8 processor which usually means lowered noise but perhaps not.

RF mount lenses are not that expensive unless you are looking at the 50/1.2 or the 28-70 F2. The RF 35 1.8 seems fairly regular for a lens and the 24-105 F4 RF lens is not too bad. Perhaps though I am just used to Sony lens prices which are quite high.

Greg.

Greg.
Old 30-03-2019, 09:17 PM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
For astro the advantages would be mostly ergonomic. Smaller and lighter so easier on a tracker.

Variangle rear LCD would be the most useful improvement over a fixed LCD which must make focusing a painful experience.

Not sure about the 6D but RP has an incamera intervalometer.

As far as noise levels go - I am not sure but RP has the latest Digic 8 processor which usually means lowered noise but perhaps not.

RF mount lenses are not that expensive unless you are looking at the 50/1.2 or the 28-70 F2. The RF 35 1.8 seems fairly regular for a lens and the 24-105 F4 RF lens is not too bad. Perhaps though I am just used to Sony lens prices which are quite high.

Greg.

Greg.
I was also considering trading my 6D Mk1 (with fixed display) for an RP.
But the advantages are minimal for me. The R (A$1500 more expensive) has a better sensor, but still the 'old' 5Mk4 sensor.
I use DSLR Controller and now DSLR Dashboard, the latter available for iOS, Android, macOS, Linux and Windows, and supports the newest Canon 'R' class DSLRs.
This app includes intervalometer (even for frames for astrophotos), focus stacking and all remorte control what a 6D (and even an R(P) lacks).

Probably I wait for an R Mk2 hopefully with a better sensor. Digic 8 is better than Digic 6, but software cannot create light what is not available.
Old 31-03-2019, 07:31 AM
gregbradley

Quote:

If you have a 6D 1 then I agree for astro the advantages would be minimal.

For terrestrial though I think the advantages are much greater. I have the EOS R as well as Sony A7riiii. Sony sensor on paper is way better but in practical use the EOS R is the better astro/nightscape camera.

Sure sensors get resused sometimes. Even Sony does that. The A7riii sensor is the same as the one in the A7rii. Then again it is so advanced its still the top rated sensor per DXOMark.

Greg.