Old 19-03-2018, 02:30 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

Opinions on ATIK428EX

Hi, I've been using the ASI1600MC-C for a few months now. I LOVE this thing, takes great fast pics with a large fov and cools down nice and low and draws next to nothing from the battery. HOWEVER, I've only been able to get usable images from dark sites and limited results with CLS filter. I'm looking for a mono camera version of the ASI1600MM-M but just wondering what other options there are. I've even had a look at a couple of CCD chips as opposed to the CMOS sensors (like the zwo).

I'm looking for some opinions and reviews on the ATIK428EX Mono as I've been offered one for trade. There are some great images taken with this camera but hardly any user reviews on it. I know that the sensor size is quite small compared to the 1600 but the sensor is quite sensitive and the small body keeps the power draw at a minimum. A small sensor also means cutting costs on narrowband filters as I can use 1.25" instead of the expensive 2" sizes (and I already own a 1.25" 6nm Ha CCD filter). Price wise its definitely an upgrade but whether or not it'll be better (i.e. having to mosaic with larger targets) is another issue. Note that i'll most likely be imaging with my ED127 so around 970mm fl. Although I am planning on getting a wide field WO71ED or similar.

Thanks
Tony
Old 19-03-2018, 03:30 PM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

The sensor should be excellent, it is in the same family as the ICX694, which I use successfully on a QHY22. This sensor delivers superb results --- no need for darks (I use BPM only). The pixels on both are 4.54 microns, so you'll be sampling at just under 1 arcsec, which again, is great for most conditions. Your field of view will be 44 x 33 arcsecs, which is fine for many extended DSOs and most galaxies. Note that even with the larger sensor on the 694, I can use 1.25" filters without vignetting at f/4 (I do keep the filters close, using a slider). You should have no issues. Read noise is also reasonably low (5e-).
Old 19-03-2018, 04:59 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

I see that the camera is ideally designed for hyperstar/fastar SCT imaging. Would there be any issues using it at higher focal length at around 970mm?
Old 19-03-2018, 05:01 PM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

Nope. Hyperstar requires a narrow body that is around the diameter of the SCT secondary, to avoid excessive occlusion of the incoming light pathway. But such a camera-body design if fine for use in refractors or newts too.
Old 19-03-2018, 05:26 PM
brisen (Brian)

Hi Tony

The 428 would be a good fit with the 127 scope as the pixel size is the same as the CCD I was using the other night. It would give you a bit smaller FOV to mine due to the smaller chip but the chips in these are good. There are not many reviews of these but they are similar to the 460 - except the 460 has double the pixels of the 428 and a bigger FOV. There are a few reviews of the 460 and this is what I was upgrading to before I took the Atik One option. Basically the same s the 460 with built in filter wheel.

Brian
Old 19-03-2018, 05:30 PM
beren

I have both the Starlight Express SX674 {mono} and Atik 428ex {colour}, like them both, very compact . The SX has better cooling the Atik think gets 25 degrees below ambient. Over the summer my Atik probably averaged -5 cooling, so something to consider for your location. The Atik infinity software can be used with the 428ex as well
Old 19-03-2018, 05:41 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

I'm becoming convinced aha. I do live on the Gold Coast where it becomes quite warm during summer. I currently image with the ASI set at -10. Do you see any noticeable noise difference between say -5 or -15? I know that with the 1600, theres not much difference between -20 and -10.

Thanks
Tony
Old 19-03-2018, 06:11 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

I used to have a 428ex and it was a very nice lightweight camera, but...

1. Found sensor size too limiting at 570mm FL
2. Cooler had to work hard to keep the CCD below 0C (in summer in Brisbane)

Mainly because of 1 I sold my 428ex and bought a camera with ICX814, that I have been very happy with for the past nearly four years. Wow, time flies...
Old 20-03-2018, 10:52 AM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

Another question, I was already thinking about buying a widefield scope to compliment the ED127, something like a Wo zenithstar 71 that I can double up as a guidescope when I'm imaging with the 127. With my currently budget, I can get the zenithstar with the 428ex or I can use the money from the zenithstar to upgrade the 1600mc-c to a mono version of the same model.

Thanks for all the help guys, really appreciated.
Old 21-03-2018, 02:30 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Tony, I have the Zenithstar 71 and have used it as a guide scope for a couple of years and it works great....but it’s heavy at just shy of 3kg.

Might be worth investigating the new SW 72ED...it’s cheaper locally than the equivalent WO.