Old 15-03-2018, 09:47 AM
LightningNZ (Cam)

I got my intervalometer for my D5100 for $16. If the D5500 has the same connection as earlier cameras this one will work for $9. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MC-DC2-R...YAAOSwtfhYpnPY

Cheers,
Cam
Old 15-03-2018, 10:04 AM
chromus (Phil)

Peeps seem to have gotten hung up on triggers rather than 30sec unguided full spectrum ability.

Short subs, for similar cost to the nikon camera -> Altair Hypercam 183C, its cooled, its full spectrum, it has a backlit sensor, its sensitivity allows unguided 30secs easily.

Astrobackyard has rave reviews, the pics on astrobin are great.

Last edited by chromus; 15-03-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Old 15-03-2018, 12:14 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromus View Post
Peeps seem to have gotten hung up on triggers rather than 30sec unguided full spectrum ability.

Short subs, for similar cost to the nikon camera -> Altair Hypercam 183C, its cooled, its full spectrum, it has a backlit sensor, its sensitivity allows unguided 30secs easily.

Astrobackyard has rave reviews, the pics on astrobin are great.
I had not thought of such an approach.
It will do up to 1000 seconds in "trigger mode" ...cooling is a fan.
Less complicated than narrow band.
I expect zwo may have a similar camera but maybe peltie cooled.
Sure something to think about...better than $4500 for a nikon "astronomy" camera...but it is 36 meg I think.
Alex
Old 15-03-2018, 12:46 PM
chromus (Phil)

Mine arrives next week, (stupid Canada post shipped it airmail not EMS )

It can be used with native support in SharpCap allowing even more control than the listed stuff on the site.

In essence you could use it with the next version SharpCap to get polar align, plate solve the imaging align, then shoot your sequence from 1 piece of software.

The sequence is still in Alpha stage, but the beta won't be far away as the author is expecting full release june/july.
Old 15-03-2018, 04:48 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

The IMX183 is a good sensor, but the pixels are tiny so tracking and good polar alignment will be critical in avoiding showing up errors in either.

Also note that the amp glow is also not insignificant, so you will want to calibrate best you can with some darks, which is made harder by the Altair camera not being temperature regulated.
Old 15-03-2018, 09:38 PM
chromus (Phil)

You’re forgetting that it isn’t intended to be a hardcore Astro camera, it’s intended to be a mid market step between DSLR and the hardcore gear.

The results i saw when researching my buy were excellent.
Old 15-03-2018, 10:03 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

It may not be “hardcore”, whatever that is, but it is not without its flaws, no camera is. The IMX183 has the potential to be an excellent camera.

I raise this as I own an IMX178 based camera - the ZWO ASI178MM-Cool - which employs the same technology as the IMX183, the latter being a larger (more megapixels) version of the former, so I’m not speculating idly from anecdotal internet reports.

All of the Sony sensors suffer from amp glow to a greater or lesser extent. With the 178, the starburst glow is in the top right corner, whereas with the 183 it’s centre right.

To use shorter exposures at high gain will provoke the evil amp glow. It’s tricky to calibrate out using appropriate methods with the ZWO camera. Others may be better.

Then there’s the demon of sensor size. The 183 is 1/3 the size of the APS-C Nikon sensor. At the same focal length, that’s a lot of FOV to lose. And Nikon have already added circuitry/software to eliminate the amp glow. Maybe Altair have too?

Last edited by Camelopardalis; 15-03-2018 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Corrected sensor size calculation
Old 15-03-2018, 10:06 PM
chromus (Phil)

Head over to the astrobackyard site and read the reviews.
Old 15-03-2018, 10:15 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Like I said, maybe they have dealt with the amp glow in ways others haven’t