Who Likes Hot Dogs..............

Do you eat Hot Dogs .....

Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (6.jpg)
43.7 KB106 views
Old 16-10-2021, 04:42 PM
leon

Actually Col I have always disliked Hot Dogs, now I hate them more.thanks for that

Leon
Old 16-10-2021, 05:03 PM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Cheeks!!! I'd hope they didn't waste them in sausages...

Nice beef cheeks is one of the best bits of stewing beef you can get imo!
Old 16-10-2021, 05:12 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Pork cheeks - called guanciale in Italian - is the BEST there is - it's what REAL Carbonara and most Italian dishes have in it, not proscuitto or pancetta.

Haggis...now I'm hungry!

Only thing I don't like is heart but if I don't know it's there, whatever...
Old 16-10-2021, 05:15 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Pork cheeks - called guanciale in Italian - is the BEST there is - it's what REAL Carbonara and most Italian dishes have in it, not proscuitto or pancetta.

Haggis...now I'm hungry!

Only thing I don't like is heart but if I don't know it's there, whatever...

https://youtu.be/O5yXTBGYbuM
Old 16-10-2021, 05:38 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I am always suspicious of claims like these...someone, annonomous it seems, with out credentials, makes a statement and folk believe it without question and assume it is a fact..it is such a pity folk dont ask is this a fact..and the implication seems to be that hot dogs are unfit for human consumption so one must wonder if this is correct why does the Government allows it...mmm I know the big hot dog millionaires pay Government officials big bribes to keep being able to sell rubbish to the consumer..Has anyone any evidence? Like has anyone actually seen what goes into a hot dog?
Why is it that most humans hear something and accept it as fact...like ( and I think I raised this recently) "daddy long leg spiders are the most venomous spider"...who has ever questioned this but in their next conversation about spiders happily blurts it out as a fact...the truth it seems is no one knows and by that I mean science has not answered the question..however it seems someone observed that a daddy long legs kills and eats red blacks..so from there they assume and jump to the unsupported notion that they are the most venomous...it seems from other observations that the daddy long legs entraps the red back in its web and it would not matter if it bit the red back or not...I think we all rattle of rubbish in the belief it is a fact and it will surprise folk just how much rubbish they believe is fact when it is just stuff someone has told them.

Anyways I would love someone to come forward and tell us what goes in a hot dog, give their name and credentials and tell us really goes into a hot dog...I will now go goggle and see what I can find out rather than just believe stuff for no reason.
Alex
Old 16-10-2021, 05:43 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I found this...
Now I need to check who this person is...
However it seems these stories about hot dogs is just nonsense...at this stage.

What’s in a Hot Dog?
07/03/2018
Are you ready to find out what’s in a hot dog? Forty-three percent of Americans are afraid to know what is in a hot dog. That doesn’t mean America’s favorite ballpark snack is going away though! Americans are projected to eat 20 billion hot dogs this year.

We dared to ask the questions many people are afraid to about this summer favorite. We got in touch with meat scientist Janeal Yancey, PhD, and blogger at Mom at the Meat Counter because not only is Dr. Yancey an expert in meat science, but she also worked at a hot dog plant and has first-hand experience of how they are made. She told us her experience did not change her love for hot dogs.

“I eat hot dogs and feed them to my family. I enjoyed working in the hot dog plant, except that I smelled like hot dogs every day!” Dr. Yancey said.

We decided to ask Dr. Yancey some of your scariest hot dog questions.

What’s in a hot dog?

Dr. Yancey: “Hot dogs can be made with different types of meat, and if you want to know what’s in a hot dog, you just need to look at the ingredient statement. Most of the time, hot dogs are made with skeletal meat, which are trimmings of the same type of meat that makes ground meat, steaks and roasts. The trimmings are ground up really fine, which is what gives them that homogenous texture. Salt is added to the meat, giving the mixture a sticky texture. The proteins within the meat stick to each other, and then water is added. The hot dog mixture also has added nitrites, which give the hot dog a pink color and specific flavor. Nitrites also help protect the hot dog from the bacteria that causes botulism. There are all sorts of flavors added to hot dogs, and each hot dog company has their own unique recipe for what makes their hot dogs taste special.”

For more information about nitrites, see What is Nitrite? and Nitrates in Processed Meats

Hot dogs made up of a bunch of different leftover animal parts, right?

Dr. Yancey: “This isn’t really true. Hot dogs are made of animal parts, but they aren’t leftovers. They’re the same stuff that you would make into ground beef or ground pork. The trimmings used to make hot dogs are pieces of the meat that don’t make good steaks and roasts because they aren’t a certain tenderness, size, shape or weight.”

There’s nothing to fear in your hot dog. @MeatCounterMom explains it’s all on the package.
CLICK TO TWEET

What about the really cheap hot dogs?

Dr. Yancey: “Really inexpensive hot dogs are usually made with a meat source called mechanically separated chicken. It’s a process that uses mechanical means to pull the muscle off the bone in chicken. It’s a very inexpensive source of protein. It’s not an unsafe or unwholesome product, it’s just a cheaper protein source.”

How are hot dogs made?

Dr. Yancey: “In the hot dog plant, workers grind the trimmings and mix up all the ingredients and the salt, and add some water. Sometimes they’ll even add ice to the hot dog mixture because during the grinding process, the mixture can get warm, so adding ice helps keep it at the right temperature. Then, they run it through a special machine that sucks the air out of the mixture and grinds it up really fine.”

How do hot dogs get their shape?

Dr. Yancey: “The mixture is then stuffed into long tubes. most hot dogs are stuffed into a plastic casing, and machines stuff the hot dog in and twist the casing that makes the hot dogs into links. They are then cooked in those casings, and once cooked, they put them in a machine called a peeler. The peeler peels the hot dogs from the casings very fast! After they’re cooked, the mixture takes the shape of that casing. Once you pull the casing off, you have that round hot dog shape. On a hot dog, those wrinkles on the end are from where the casing was twisted.”

Are hot dogs safe to eat?

Dr. Yancey: “Hot dogs are really safe to eat. They are cooked to a safe temperature before they leave the plant. The packaging room, where the hot dogs go after they’re cooked, is treated similarly to an operating room. The workers must wear clean suits, hair nets and gloves. The rules and regulations for the sanitation are really stringent because the plant must deliver a safe product. That’s what’s great about a hot dog – it’s a safe, ready-to-eat product. You can cook it again – you can grill it, microwave it, boil it, etc., but you don’t have to. Hot dogs are super safe. As a side note, just to be extra safe, pregnant women should not eat hot dogs and deli meats, without heating them up first, because of a bacteria rarely found in those products.”

Are hot dogs healthy?

Dr. Yancey: “You can look at the nutrition label when choosing to purchase hot dogs. Hot dogs are a good inexpensive source of protein. They aren’t a lean cut and they aren’t a health food, but they are a good source of inexpensive protein.”

Hot dogs are made from meat trimmings which are ground into a fine mixture with other ingredients added for flavor. The mixture is poured into a casing to create the shape. Hot dogs are a cheap source of protein and are safe to eat with or without additional cooking.

This video from the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council shows how hot dogs are made...

EDIT ADDITION....
Sorry I can't provide the link as when I went back to het it I could not find it...however I did notice there is plenty of stuff that provides reality.

So please stop and question things moreover seek evidence ...if you believe in the tooth fairy ask why where did you hear it...do you have any evidence.. sumple stuff really.
Alex
Old 16-10-2021, 05:45 PM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

I doubt the claims as well, there normally based on things people aren't familiar with in their daily diet.

Honeycomb tripe goes Os because you can get $50+ a kilo for it, here you can't. Same goes for beef liver, you only end up with lambs fry etc in supermarkets because the good stuff goes OS where it gets good prices.

As for what goes into to pies/sausages, I just don't care. I am a great believer in tip to tail use of the animal and if it tastes good that's all that matters.

Having made a few home made sausages, the frozen hands are well worth it!
Old 16-10-2021, 06:42 PM
leon

Gees Alex, you are right into this well written, nearly a book mate.

Leon
Old 16-10-2021, 07:27 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Gees Alex, you are right into this well written, nearly a book mate.

Leon
Leon I seek the truth and find it is most difficult when I find folk fail to seek evidence for what they are told and just accept what someone tells them ...and I sincerely believe that if all humans asked questions to establish the truth the place would be very much better.

Just think if we could eliminate superstition from the planet and simply have folk refuse to accept stuff that has no evidence.

I feel the human race has incredible potential, a potential that I expect I will never see come to pass and that failure in achievement will no doubt see us become extinct like the various species before us.. which is invebitable when we refuse to exercise our abilities to think critically and better manage our future.

Would you like an autographed copy?
Just bored Leon ..it is as simple as that.

Alex
Old 17-10-2021, 12:30 AM
raymo

There is an answer to your question Alex, but it is rather complex.
To start with, we are biological creatures, not machines, so every brain is
either a little or a lot different to any other human brain that you encounter,
because reproduction does not produce exact copies, every body part, including the brain, differs in shape, size, efficiency, etc etc.
Your genetic makeup decides the fundamentals of you; maybe aggressive,
passive, inquisitive, lethargic, hyperactive, generous, introverted, brave,
retiring, the list goes on.
Superimposed on all this is the environment you lived in in your formative years. Your likes and dislikes, your outlook on life, your beliefs [religious or
otherwise], your manners; again the list goes on. All the items on this last
list are impacted upon to one degree or another by your parents and siblings, and to a lesser degree by other people close to you.
To cap off all this, some people are born with imperfections, and some of those will be in the brain.
Lastly, a person who is timid, dithery, lacking in self confidence, and unadventurous, will react to, or interpret, information differently to a
person who is at the opposite end of the spectrum.
All this means that the majority of people who are " normal or average"
will frequently make reasonably sensible decisions, but the people who are
near one end or the other of the spectrum will frequently make decisions
that are regarded as bizarre, unreasonable, evil, strange etc etc. The only
situation that can produce a single desired outcome, is a society where people have no say in what occurs in that society. Phew!
raymo
Old 17-10-2021, 12:44 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
There is an answer to your question Alex, but it is rather complex.
To start with, we are biological creatures, not machines, so every brain is
either a little or a lot different to any other human brain that you encounter,
because reproduction does not produce exact copies, every body part, including the brain, differs in shape, size, efficiency, etc etc.
Your genetic makeup decides the fundamentals of you; maybe aggressive,
passive, inquisitive, lethargic, hyperactive, generous, introverted, brave,
retiring, the list goes on.
Superimposed on all this is the environment you lived in in your formative years. Your likes and dislikes, your outlook on life, your beliefs [religious or
otherwise], your manners; again the list goes on. All the items on this last
list are impacted upon to one degree or another by your parents and siblings, and to a lesser degree by other people close to you.
To cap off all this, some people are born with imperfections, and some of those will be in the brain.
Lastly, a person who is timid, dithery, lacking in self confidence, and unadventurous, will react to, or interpret, information differently to a
person who is at the opposite end of the spectrum.
All this means that the majority of people who are " normal or average"
will frequently make reasonably sensible decisions, but the people who are
near one end or the other of the spectrum will frequently make decisions
that are regarded as bizarre, unreasonable, evil, strange etc etc. The only
situation that can produce a single desired outcome, is a society where people have no say in what occurs in that society. Phew!
raymo
What evidence do you have to support your conclusion
Alex
Old 17-10-2021, 01:10 AM
raymo

I think that most of what I spouted is self evident, but once again I have no
training or qualifications in these matters, so make of it what you will.
raymo
Old 17-10-2021, 03:23 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
I think that most of what I spouted is self evident, but once again I have no
training or qualifications in these matters, so make of it what you will.
raymo
Everything you say sounds reasonable Raymo and the very fact that you said it carries a great deal of weight for me and I must tell you that in the past I have cautioned folk for being unnecessarily judgemental and that they should factor in the matters you suggest, further it is perhaps unreasonable for me to expect other than what we find, however one can wish for things to be better and hope for same.
Alex
Old 17-10-2021, 03:57 AM
JA

According to a quote attributed to the UN Food and Agriculture Organisation, the 'meat trimmings' used in hot dogs encompass a little more than what we might think of as some meat trimmed off the bone.... http://https://www.businessinsider.com/what-are-hot-dogs-really-made-of-2014-7?r=AU&IR=T

From the webpage above, quoting the UN FAO,
"The raw meat materials used for precooked-cooked products are lower-grade muscle trimmings, fatty tissues, head meat, animal feet, animal skin, blood, liver and other edible slaughter by-products."
In other words pretty much as stated in Col's graphic.

Although like anything, who's to say what does or doesn't take place in every meat processing plant? A video might be instructive on the above.

Best
JA

Last edited by JA; 17-10-2021 at 02:15 PM.
Old 17-10-2021, 11:49 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Yes who knows what goes on or in our food generally...knowing I suspect would see one become self sufficient over night I bet.

However I really do like frankfurts..particularly the cocktail ones, and more so recently as for about three weeks I could eat only them but finally they went off my menue leaving me to survive on the life saver SUSTIGEN...
Alex
Old 19-10-2021, 06:32 PM
Boozlefoot
SQM 21.98 mag./arc sec2

I travelled monthly to the local abattoir doing engineering works and audits, they had a large skip bin on the "chain" known as "Lips and Bums"........I'm sure you can work it out from there yourselves.
Old 20-10-2021, 06:24 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozlefoot View Post
I travelled monthly to the local abattoir doing engineering works and audits, they had a large skip bin on the "chain" known as "Lips and Bums"........I'm sure you can work it out from there yourselves.
I would like to think it may have been an expression of humour as opposed to a genuine description of the contents...did you check?
Alex
Old 20-10-2021, 06:06 PM
Boozlefoot
SQM 21.98 mag./arc sec2

No Alex, it's the real deal, big stainless bin, and yep, they were lips and bums.
And they were destined for the grinder and hot dogs. Not that there's anything wrong with that..........I like hot dogs! It's just that some get a mental picture and can't deal with it. Maybe I should recall visits to the chicken processing plants, but there would be a substantial exodus to the vege spectrum.
Old 20-10-2021, 07:28 PM
taminga16 (Greg)

I work in an Artisan Smallgoods Production House, and our Vienna Frankfurts are made with organically grown stock, we do not use and Gluten fillers and very little or no preservatives (with no concoctions) Not all Frankfurts are the same and if you are ever in Central Victoria look us up.
Greg.

OAKWOOD SMALLGOODS. The Mill Complex Walker St Castlemaine.

Last edited by taminga16; 21-10-2021 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Addition. Contact details.