Old 17-10-2021, 10:18 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Moon day

After looking at a recent NASA APOD, I was amazed to learn there was such a thing as International observe the Moon day.

It has been many years since I actually looked at the moon through
a telescope with an eyepiece. OTMD seemed like an excellent reason to do just that.

I felt like a kid again, exploring the lunar craters with a small telescope that
was a joy to use.

Even took a picture too. The link is here
Old 17-10-2021, 05:51 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

I hadn't heard of that either Peter but it's nice to bring yourself back to the simplicity of observing our closest celestial neighbour to recognise the occasion. It does trigger the memory of seeing the moon for the first time through a telescope and for many of us, that was when we were a child. I'm looking forward to when my grandchildren are old enough so I can share their experience of doing the same for the first time. The 3.5 inch Questars are nice portable scopes which have quite a cult following. They hold their price too, I recently purchased a Meade ETX 90 with similar specs but not the quality of the Questar.
Old 18-10-2021, 10:27 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Peter,
I hadn’t heard of this day either , but I suppose we name international days after anything that has some significance in our day to day lives.

Nothing wrong with observing or imaging our closest neighbour, I observe the moon when atmospheric conditions are good , the moon is up nice and high , waxing or waning from 30% to 75% and I happen to be down at my dark site on the South Coast.I also image the moon from time time as well

In 2019 I purchase the commemorative Televue Apollo 11 eye piece ( one of 6 available in Australia )and used it for the first time on the moon with my 12” Goto dob and variable moon filter.This eye piece is definitely not just a trophy cabinet showpiece like some folk have suggested, the views were outstanding, excellent contrast and minimal glare. It was as if you were in lunar orbit. The fine details near the terminator across some of the larger craters, rilles and mountains were excellent and a real joy to observe. I have many other TV eye pieces but this Apollo one seems to hit the sweet spot on the moon at 1500mm focal length and fairly big aperture

That’s a really nice image by the way, moons phase exposing some great landmarks and quality resolution too

Well done and thanks for posting

Martin
Old 18-10-2021, 10:14 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Peter,
I hadn’t heard of this day either...
Martin
Glad to hear I'm not alone on this....the TV Apollo sounds like the bees knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickoid View Post
I hadn't heard of that either Peter.... I recently purchased a Meade ETX 90 with similar specs but not the quality of the Questar.
It's often said the best 'scope you can get is the one you'll use most often.
Sounds like the ETX is also a great grab and go, hence fits that description nicely.

Have to say I have not used the Questar all that much...might be the case of too many telescopes ....no second thoughts...there is no such thing
Old 19-10-2021, 05:55 AM
h0ughy (David)

Well wasn't expecting that. Going old school Peter, could have used film camera to keep the authenticity of the scope .
Old 19-10-2021, 09:25 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
Well wasn't expecting that. Going old school Peter, could have used film camera to keep the authenticity of the scope .
Well I do have an old Pentax SLR kicking around somewhere....

...and I kept my vacuum pump/hypering tank (it now has a new life and is used to purge all moisture from CCD chamber desiccants) Humm