Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 14-10-2021, 12:34 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Survival videos the plethora thereof...

OK I made the mistake of watching one and now they turn up annoyingly frequently...more so because I will watch this crap more than I should.

There seems to be a fear with many folk that they will be caught out in the wilderness and faced with starting a fire, building a shelter and hunting down their dinner.

So you see videos on starting a fire with flint, rubbing sticks together...I cant list them all but one must wonder if so scared of getting in a survival situation why not always carry a cigarette lighter...is that not obvious or am I just an extrodinarily clever person???
Then they need to build a shelter..heck if you brung ya lighter a fire under a tree will do you could think...then to hunt dinner..what shall we do..make a fishing line by twisting some grass together with a hook made of thorns...or trap a rabbit ...for those who go fishing or hunting with real gear can only think that they dont have a hope.
My advice..carry a lighter, carry a sheet of plastic or a rain coat and maybe a bottle of water and some energy bars...but best of all dont go near the bush..ever..that would be the really smart thing to do ...and you dont need to watch all these survival videos.

But clearly there are quiet a few folk making a living playing on the unrealistic fear .. plus classes and three day camps...

We ( my then wife, my Son and me) got caught out down from my old place...17 klms march out and forced to drink muddy water and fight bees to get it...I guess we should have not walked out, started a fire, build a house and rustled some cattle...
Alex