Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 11-09-2021, 07:04 AM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronobob View Post
Cheers Jonathan,,, cant trust many these days mate & glad I start a thread here
Back in the day, it was the norm to upgrade stuff - i've re-built many a PC over the years, but technology as moved on a lot since anything that will have had win 7 installed on it. Its a key component of your imaging system, so worth investing in.
Old 11-09-2021, 03:03 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbite View Post
Hi Bob...

It's your money and i'm just jealous you will be getting more kit....

To fix your DSS live issue, you need to change the monitored directory.
I just tried it here.....if i use my downloads folder, DSS tries to open every file in it.....despite none of them being images, and giving the same errors as you got. This would seem to be a design flaw with DSS - it should ignore anything thats not an image...
I recommend you create a folder like c:\DSSMON and use that for nothing else but loading images that you want to stack.

Please note - if even if you get new kit and a new OS, and still try and use the downloads folder in the same way - you will end up with the same problem.

Give it a go and let us know how you go.

Unfortunately i haven't used nebulosity but i'm sure others could help with that problem!

PS for DSS at least you should not have to convert to TIFF - it should be able to read .CR2 natively.....this should save you some time, and might result in better images.(conversion processes sometimes loses you data.)
Thnx again sharkbite, no new kit for a while yet.
Well, I didn't make a new folder, but instead uninstalled everything I could find DSS wise, then deleted everything related I could find, then empted the recycle bin, did a restart and download DSS again, then up showed that window ( as in my previous attached) but I did Not follow the instruction and just hit the Moniter button, mainly because it looked like a 'Play' button, Lol, yup, I just dont understand puutas,,, anyway, then the DSS main interface window showed up and I went from there, Loaded about 6 tiffs into it, registering was very slow indeed, approx 15-20 minutes per sub, so I went to bed and had a pleasent image in the morning, ,
I know its not working as it should, I can remember stacking 20 tiff subs in DSS and it would register and stack the whole lot in approx 7-8minutes.

Anyway, not sure if I want to go further in sorting it, except maybe upgrade to windows 10 and start over,, I have a weird suspicion that my un-orthodox ways are at fault here,,, I just cant make sence of these things, puutas, yeah, can play real good in photoshop, but the rest of it, hopeless, half the reason why I didnt go Mono imaging, doing my head in, but give me an engine that does not work and I will most likely fix it while experiencing a fun time doing so, no matter how challenging :-)

Kind Rgrds & Thnx again..
---------------------------------------------
---------------------------
-------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroJunk View Post
Back in the day, it was the norm to upgrade stuff - i've re-built many a PC over the years, but technology as moved on a lot since anything that will have had win 7 installed on it. Its a key component of your imaging system, so worth investing in.
Yes, Thanx for that Jonathan, and agree, I recognise and use to keep up with it 5-10 yrs ago, but its all becoming to much for this duck, some of us are at home infront of a screen, sorting issues etc !
Maybe Win 10 will be the answer in this situation, if not, I'll just simply give up on stacking astro and just go with terrestrial etc !
Cheers