Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 09-01-2022, 10:57 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Lithium power

Looking for “value-for-money” recommendations for a Lithium power box for a remote rig.
Old 09-01-2022, 11:10 AM
AdamJL

Define "value for money"

I've got a few Lithium batteries that I've used.
Almost all of them are the LiFePO4 cell type, though one is standard Li-ION

1. I've got two SolarKing batteries, one 20Ah, another 15Ah. These are LiFePO4 cells. I use these as backups as they can charge the main battery below. You can of course, make these into their own dedicated power supplies with the right cables and accessories. It's a DIY thing.

2. I've got another LiFePO4 battery from JayCar (Powertech branch) at 12Ah. Used for the same purpose above, but less so now because I've probably gone overboard.... Maybe when I get a second AP setup, I'll use it more.

3. Next up is the first "all-in-one" I purchased, which is the Jackery 240. It has regulated DC as it uses Li-ION batteries. Sadly you can't purchase Jackery products in Australia anymore, but the Jackery 500 would be ideal.

4. Lastly, I purchased another battery in November last year which is the Bluetti EB70. This one is amazing. Not cheap, but it's got everything needed (although I got it for MUCH less than retail as they had Black Friday sales). It's built using LiFePO4 cells as well, which is perfect. Regulated output too, but that's not really needed for LiFePO4 to be honest because LiFePO4 has no voltage drop until it's about 5% full, then voltage drops off a cliff. I use this to power my rig now and it lasts the night easily. Also just purchased some 200W solar cells to charge it during the day. It charges from the wall at just under 200W, so completely charged in about 4 hours.

These all cover a range of prices, so decide what you need and how much effort you want into making it work. It's always a trade-off.
Old 09-01-2022, 02:15 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

I guess “value-for-money” is an “eye-of-the-beholder” thing. I started looking at the products on offer and noted a lot of “flash-looking” things with what seemed like pretty inflated prices. I guess I meant the sweet spot between utility and price.

Thanks for the suggestions mate.

Last edited by pmrid; 09-01-2022 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-01-2022, 02:42 PM
mldee (Mike)
Photon sorter

Brisbane dealer

https://tinyl.io/5VEp

I replaced my ageing AGM's with three of their 24V 100A integrated cells+BMS packages (P24100?) about 12 months ago, they run my off-grid house and all utilities such as pumps, waste water treatment plant etc. They have been totally reliable.

The staff answer the phone and you can talk to them. They also are based in Browns Plains, Brisbane, so you can even go and see them! Free delivery too.

They have a bunch of 12V LiFePO4 products, the P12100/ss12100 may suit your needs, dunno what capacity/price point you're aiming for. I'd strongly recommend them.

Last edited by mldee; 09-01-2022 at 02:43 PM. Reason: added plastic case 12v version
Old 09-01-2022, 03:09 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mldee View Post
https://tinyl.io/5VEp

I replaced my ageing AGM's with three of their 24V 100A integrated cells+BMS packages (P24100?) about 12 months ago, they run my off-grid house and all utilities such as pumps, waste water treatment plant etc. They have been totally reliable.

The staff answer the phone and you can talk to them. They also are based in Browns Plains, Brisbane, so you can even go and see them! Free delivery too.

They have a bunch of 12V LiFePO4 products, the P12100/ss12100 may suit your needs, dunno what capacity/price point you're aiming for. I'd strongly recommend them.
Thanks Mike.
I have recently abandoned my plan to buy a small bush block and decided I would use a particular remote caravan park I have discovered and take my caravan up there on the new moon weeks this Autumn-Spring period instead.

I have plenty of deep cycle capacity in the caravan but would prefer to run my rig separately - and I've reduced that rig to a pretty minmalist one as well - just an EQ6 with all ZWO gear (FW/Focuser/CCD/Guidecam and control it all on a tablet or iPad. WHat could go wrong?

To start, I've bought a Bluetti EB70 rig. 700 watt capacity. I expect it will be sufficient for a full night and will recharge in 5 or 6 hours of reasonable sun. Again, what could possibly go wrong??

It gets pretty cold where I am planning to be - some snow may fall - they have a "Brass Monkey" festival there in Winter. That says it all. But it's dark, dark, dark.
Old 09-01-2022, 05:48 PM
Sitt (Simon)

Was the Black Friday Sale cheaper for the Bluetti EB70 than $1,399 which is advertised on their site now? Supposedly $600 cheaper than RRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
Define "value for money"

I've got a few Lithium batteries that I've used.
Almost all of them are the LiFePO4 cell type, though one is standard Li-ION

1. I've got two SolarKing batteries, one 20Ah, another 15Ah. These are LiFePO4 cells. I use these as backups as they can charge the main battery below. You can of course, make these into their own dedicated power supplies with the right cables and accessories. It's a DIY thing.

2. I've got another LiFePO4 battery from JayCar (Powertech branch) at 12Ah. Used for the same purpose above, but less so now because I've probably gone overboard.... Maybe when I get a second AP setup, I'll use it more.

3. Next up is the first "all-in-one" I purchased, which is the Jackery 240. It has regulated DC as it uses Li-ION batteries. Sadly you can't purchase Jackery products in Australia anymore, but the Jackery 500 would be ideal.

4. Lastly, I purchased another battery in November last year which is the Bluetti EB70. This one is amazing. Not cheap, but it's got everything needed (although I got it for MUCH less than retail as they had Black Friday sales). It's built using LiFePO4 cells as well, which is perfect. Regulated output too, but that's not really needed for LiFePO4 to be honest because LiFePO4 has no voltage drop until it's about 5% full, then voltage drops off a cliff. I use this to power my rig now and it lasts the night easily. Also just purchased some 200W solar cells to charge it during the day. It charges from the wall at just under 200W, so completely charged in about 4 hours.

These all cover a range of prices, so decide what you need and how much effort you want into making it work. It's always a trade-off.
Old 09-01-2022, 06:21 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Simon, I bought the bundle with the solar panels for $1799 down from RRP of $2698. The EB70 alone was $1399. So I got a $900 discount. Happy with that!
Old 09-01-2022, 07:34 PM
AdamJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitt View Post
Was the Black Friday Sale cheaper for the Bluetti EB70 than $1,399 which is advertised on their site now? Supposedly $600 cheaper than RRP
Hi Simon

I got it for $1199 shipped last year. Then $514 recently for the solar panels from Amazon US
$1,713 all up.

I think if you're buying right now, Peter has got the best you can get. The price I paid for the battery itself was very cheap, but I haven't seen it come down to that price since. I'd be happy with what Peter paid!
Old 09-01-2022, 11:11 PM
Sitt (Simon)

Just doing a little research on the EB70, it seems to be re-branded in several different names https://youtu.be/mHlBbyNI65.
How are you guys finding the performance?
Old 10-01-2022, 12:27 AM
AdamJL

That link goes to a "video isn't available anymore" page

But yes, Bluetti is part of the Maxoak group. They used to brand under that in the past. I think Bluetti is the main brand now.

I think my likes and dislikes are covered in most of the YouTube videos on it (and there are a few!). About the only thing I don't like is the battery capacity display. It doesn't give you specific percentages, just percentage bands. My Jackery can tell me to the nearest whole number where I'm at.

Others have complained about the charger having a fan that's always on. For me, that's no big deal. Plug it in, turn it on, put it in another room, and walk away.

Otherwise, it lasts the whole night for me and I usually am down to about 20% after a night... since I tend to wake up a bit later when shooting, that means closing shop at about 8-9am, and it's still going. If you finish when the sun rises, you could be down to 40% instead.
Old 10-01-2022, 10:09 AM
Sitt (Simon)

Corrected YouTube link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHlBbyNI65E&t=415s
Old 10-01-2022, 10:21 AM
AdamJL

ha oh yes, forgot about that video.
I don't think that brand is sold here in Australia, just Bluetti. Bluetti is the bigger brand out of the two anyway.
Old 10-01-2022, 11:38 AM
Wilsil (Wilco)

I am using a 120Ah SolarKing lithium battery when going to a dark site.
Old 11-01-2022, 12:03 PM
AdamJL

Solar panels arrived today. It’s super cloudy right now but I’ll try and test them out over the coming days. The Bluetti is ready at 100% so I’ll discharge it today

Panels look well made. Quite heavy (not in the grand scheme of things )
Old 11-01-2022, 12:22 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Solar panels arrived today. It’s super cloudy right now but I’ll try and test them out over the coming days. The Bluetti is ready at 100% so I’ll discharge it today

Panels look well made. Quite heavy (not in the grand scheme of things )
Looking forward to hearing how they perform.
Old 12-01-2022, 09:48 AM
AdamJL

First test.
10:35am, the sun is on it's way up. The panels are basically angled directly at the sun and it was pulling through 160W
I thought it would pull more, but I will test it around mid-day as well.

Interestingly, the stands built into the panels were at their maximum, so I guess I will lay them down flat when it hits 12pm.

The sun was sometimes behind very thin cloud or just clear of it. That tiny cloud cover made no difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20220111_233216711_iOS.jpg)
205.3 KB75 views
Click for full-size image (20220111_233207637_iOS.jpg)
198.6 KB102 views
Click for full-size image (20220111_232904411_iOS.jpg)
158.5 KB98 views
Old 12-01-2022, 09:56 AM
AdamJL

Actually, based of the image here, it seems the EB70 should get charged between 5-6 hours on one of these panels

https://www.bluettipower.com.au/prod...lar-panel-200w

Given the 716Wh capacity of the EB70, that means between 119-143w expected.

So I guess 160W isn't so bad.
Old 12-01-2022, 11:21 AM
vlazg (George)

I’ve been using itechworld batteries from WA for 3 years now, good price and still going strong
Old 12-01-2022, 11:31 AM
AdamJL

Quote:
Interestingly, the stands built into the panels were at their maximum, so I guess I will lay them down flat when it hits 12pm.
Sadly can't test at the moment... in work meetings for a while, so will test over the coming days at mid-day when it's clear and I'm free.
Old 01-03-2022, 07:05 PM
AdamJL

EB70 is down to $959
Cheaper than I ever paid!!

https://www.bluettipower.com.au/prod...41857566507256