Old 24-04-2021, 08:14 PM
aym924 (Ashley)

Identify old mounting bar.

I am trying to identify my current telescope mounting bar with a view to changing it.
I have an old Skywatcher SkyMax 127 on a Sky Scan 2001 mount. It has a strange mounting bar. The mount attaches to the tube via 2 knurled knobs/screws and the bar. The bar (if you can call it that) is upside down to what I think is normal. It is widest (50mm) in profile nearest the tube and narrower nearest the mount (25mm) and about 180mm long. I have attached a photo. I am looking to update to a different mount, using either a Vixen or Skywatcher mounting bar I think.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-8946a.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	274684
Any clues on what the current mounting bar is?
Any tips for changing the bar?

Thanks in advance,
Regards
Ashley
Old 24-04-2021, 09:45 PM
astro744

That looks like a clone of a Vixen Polaris (NOT Super Polaris) Mount head.

ADM Telescope has a adaptor dove for it the Vixen Polaris to convert to V series saddle. See https://www.admaccessories.com/produ...olaris-mounts/

I have the Vixen Polaris and the one in your picture is close but not identical. The ADM saddle may work or you rig something up yourself. You just need to secure a Losmandy V or D or DV saddle to mount to the two threaded holes in your existing saddle. I did this myself but the ADM product is a much nicer solution.

See also vixen polaris mount image at https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5...vixen-polaris/

Last edited by astro744; 24-04-2021 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Added Polaris link
Old 25-04-2021, 09:42 AM
aym924 (Ashley)

Thanks astro744. That certainly looks like the same type of mount. I was looking to change the telescope side of things, so as to update the bar and use the telescope on a different mount. But updating the mount as well to keep it compatible and useful for other projects makes sense.
I thank you for your help and leads.