Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 08-10-2011, 11:53 PM
cventer

Still a 6 week wait though for backorders
Old 09-10-2011, 12:53 AM
Tandum (Robin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frolinmod View Post
The only thing I don't like about the camera is the slow download time. QSI have fixed that in the 600 series.
When you say slow download time, is that because it reads from the sensor into a buffer and then downloads or does it read directly from the sensor like the sbig?
Old 09-10-2011, 05:27 AM
frolinmod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandum View Post
When you say slow download time, is that because it reads from the sensor into a buffer and then downloads or does it read directly from the sensor like the sbig?
So far as I know, it always reads the image directly from the sensor. QSI have for the longest time attempted to justify their slow download times by claiming that going slow improves the signal to noise ratio. I have no problem with their claim. Okay, fine and dandy, but sometimes we don't care and just want a quick image (such as when running automated calibration runs of hundreds of points where all those individual slow downloads really add up to one very long time). With the 600 series the user can choose between fast or not so fast downloads (both of which are faster than the 500 series). I suspect they've simply learned a thing or two since originally designing the 500 series and never really needed to go that slow in the first place...

I always do calibration runs binned 4x4 to speed things up a bit. No need to do them at 1x1 and suffer even slower downloads.