Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21-05-2021, 12:34 PM
lunartic (Greg)

EQMOD connectivity issue

Hello Everyone

I'm having issues with getting EQMOD to recognise my AZ/EQ 6 GT mount. I have scoured threads across multiple platforms and am still unable to get EQMOD to recognise my mount. I am consistently greeted with the TIMEOUT error regardless of my approach.

Until now I have been controlling my mount and guiding through my handset which worked a treat for the longest time until the handset started 'crashing' , meaning that I was unable to use the handset and PHD2 was unable to interact with the mount. I replaced the handset and the issue resolved for a short period of time and recently the new handset is behaving as the previous one. I've replaced all cables, reinstalled drivers/software to eliminate any obvious issues to no avail.

This was the catalyst for me to finally bypass the handset and to control my observatory through EQMOD. I have followed every procedure I could find and have been troubleshooting the common issues people have. I have again replaced cables etc. in order to eliminate those issue and still can't get past the TIMEOUT error.

I run the COM test in the EQMOD setup set to 50 cycles and it never seems to cycle past 7 showing a minimum of 2 errors. I am not 100% sure what this test represent or how the information is utilised.

Basically, I am at the point where I feel it may be the serial port on the mount although I don't know how to test it as the handset works fine when connected to the mount on its own and only plays up when I use guiding or planetarium software. I can control my mount via Stellarium when I connect (no ASCOM), PHD2 guides well and is connected via ASCOM (connected through handset with synscan update cable).

I'm at a loss here and hoping someone may have an idea I haven't thought of or the technical knowhow to assess a potential bigger problem.

Many thanks in advance.

Maybe its important to note that once in awhile when I ASCOM connect in EQMOD Toolbox coordinates will briefly flash before the TIMEOUT error comes up?
Old 21-05-2021, 12:50 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Greg,
I feel your frustration
I’m sure the AZ EQ6 GT mount just has the handcontroller port where you plug your handset into and not the additional optional USB B port for direct connect via a USB A to USB B cable ( I have 2 EQ6-R mounts , one is late 2017 model which has the RJ45 handcontroller port and the other 2019 model which has both RJ45 handcontroller port and optional additional USB B port
I wrote procedures for installing and running EQMOD and Stellarium for both types of connections , took me weeks of bench testing last year to get the USB type to work but now both are running perfectly using the latest Ascom Stellarium
I’ll attach my procedure for the handcontroller port connection
Hope this gets you connected
Cheers
Martin
Old 21-05-2021, 01:46 PM
lunartic (Greg)

Thanks Martin.

You're right, my mount does not have the USB connection. I'll dive into the procedure you've created and see what I come up with. Really appreciate it mate.

Cheers!
Old 21-05-2021, 02:08 PM
Hemi

Hi Greg,

I use eqmod with an AZEQ6.

I’m not clear how you are connecting pc to mount?
I don’t use the handset at all.

I have an eqdir cable that connects usb (pc) to the rj45 input on the mount (where you plug the handset in). The key to this working is a serial/usb driver/emulator. Have you installed this?

Cheers

Hemi
Old 21-05-2021, 02:43 PM
Pepper (Steve)

I had to download a driver that recognised the eqdir cable as a com port, instead of it appearing as a USB
Old 21-05-2021, 02:45 PM
Pepper (Steve)

https://ftdichip.com/drivers/

This is where I got the required driver to make mine work.
Old 21-05-2021, 03:00 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Hi All,
Thanks for your input to help Greg
My attached procedure has all your suggestions and advice (have a read)
Just so there’s not to many double ups
Thanks again
Martin
Old 23-05-2021, 10:30 AM
lunartic (Greg)

Many thanks to everyone, the advice is well received. I will be spending the afternoon in the observatory today. As far as drivers for the cables, the drivers windows 10 automatically apply not sufficient or do I need to work around the automatic driver allocations?

Cheers
Old 23-05-2021, 10:55 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunartic View Post
Many thanks to everyone, the advice is well received. I will be spending the afternoon in the observatory today. As far as drivers for the cables, the drivers windows 10 automatically apply not sufficient or do I need to work around the automatic driver allocations?

Cheers
Greg,
Just follow my procedure it has all the information for downloading drivers for the EQ Shoestring cable plus all the downloads for Ascom , EQMOD etc... etc...,
I run Windows 10 home and pro and everything connects and talks to each other perfectly
You can purchase the EQ Shoestring cable from Bintel or one of the other Astro retailers
Cheers
Martin
Old 26-05-2021, 02:48 PM
lunartic (Greg)

Thought I would send an update through regarding my connectivity issues with EQMOD.

Thanks to Martin's fantastically detailed procedure, I now have EQMOD talking to my mount and have integrated Stellarium and APT as well. I will get onto PHD2 with the new moon. I did have to set the retry rate to '1' in order to eliminate the TIMEOUT error and am not sure if this will affect anything.

There is some latency issues within EQMOD and Stellarium and am working on solutions and EQMOD sometimes parks my scope in odd positions. (I think due to brief loss of connection?)

In summary, I'm absolutely ecstatic at the moment and can't wait to keep moving forward.

Thanks and hope everyone has clear skies for the eclipse tonight!
Old 26-05-2021, 04:41 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Greg,
Glad you could get connected now
As far as the mount not returning and parking to home position ,please check the following
1/ Ensure you are polar aligned to under an arc minute and your mount is mechanically set to home position or start position ie:facing South Celestial Pole with your local latitude setting
2/ Ensure both Stellarium and EQMOD are set identically with your local latitude and longitude , elevation etc.....
3/ In EQMOD ( when connected ) expand the control pad window and under Mount Limits untick or uncheck “ Enable Limits” . I’ve had trouble with the mount unexpectedly returning to park during an imaging session when setting my limits for an auto return to park after passing the meridian by 15 degrees. As soon as I “disabled limits” I’ve had no issue at all for 6 months , it just means you have to be in attendance just after the meridian to manually return your mount to park position or home position. Maybe you can set up your capture software to auto return mount ??

Attached docs for how to fit your mount head , set your mount to Home Position or Park Position , finding True South and aligning tripod etc.....
Cheers
Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_6771.jpg)
193.2 KB36 views
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Setting Tripod to Align to True South.pdf (21.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: pdf Setting Home Position on Skywatcher Mounts.pdf (24.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: pdf Balancing Your Telescope.pdf (26.6 KB, 68 views)
File Type: pdf Finding True South using Solar Noon Shadow Method.pdf (25.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: pdf Attaching your HEQ5 and EQ6 mount head to Tripod.pdf (20.9 KB, 26 views)
Old 26-05-2021, 05:37 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Greg,
Glad you could get connected now
As far as the mount not returning and parking to home position ,please check the following
1/ Ensure you are polar aligned to under an arc minute and your mount is mechanically set to home position or start position ie:facing South Celestial Pole with your local latitude setting
2/ Ensure both Stellarium and EQMOD are set identically with your local latitude and longitude , elevation etc.....
3/ In EQMOD ( when connected ) expand the control pad window and under Mount Limits untick or uncheck “ Enable Limits” . I’ve had trouble with the mount unexpectedly returning to park during an imaging session when setting my limits for an auto return to park after passing the meridian by 15 degrees. As soon as I “disabled limits” I’ve had no issue at all for 6 months , it just means you have to be in attendance just after the meridian to manually return your mount to park position or home position. Maybe you can set up your capture software to auto return mount ??

Attached docs for how to fit your mount head , set your mount to Home Position or Park Position , finding True South and aligning tripod etc.....
Cheers
Martin
Greg,
Also check that the time and date is set exactly the same in Stellarium , your laptop or computer and all your related software too
Cheers
Martin
Old 26-05-2021, 06:04 PM
Wilsil (Wilco)

You don't really need Stellarium when running APT as APT has most of the targets and stars in it's own database.
Old 26-05-2021, 09:53 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsil View Post
You don't really need Stellarium when running APT as APT has most of the targets and stars in it's own database.
Yeh I use APT too but only for frame, focus and capture , I did look at the Point craft and Goto feature of APT but found it a bit of a mouthful to be honest
With EQMOD and Stellarium I have a live view of the night sky in front of me and watch my telescope (icon) slew to the target and also watch its progress tracking across the night sky to the meridian.With EQMOD I can usually find and object, centre it and sync it in less than a minute. Dim galaxies require a little more time but again centred and sync’d within minutes
Each to there own , there’s nothing wrong with plate solving etc... it’s just what your comfortable with and confident with using
Cheers
Martin
Old 27-05-2021, 12:21 PM
Wilsil (Wilco)

When I used APT, I used Goto++ all the time.
I found it very easy to use and very accurate.
But indeed everyone has their own preferences.
In NINA I use Stellarium to focus on stars or to plate solve to a certain area not listed in their database.