Old 25-02-2022, 07:58 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

The rain together with my foot pain returning has slowed progress however the rain forced me to do something about pumping out the little boat as it was close to sinking from all the rain yesterday 85 mm at least...and seeing it is such a big deal to get onto the jetty for me I thought I would use the opportunity to fix some grab handles to the jetty which may enable me to get out of the boat once in it and having tied it up so it can't move and so I removed the handles from my fridge as they are not needed and take up space and took them with my chair and drill and hex driver pump and battery in the trailer behind my ride on mower to the jetty and set up the pump and then got to work to instal the handles but then the sky openned up with insane heavy rain and not being able to move fast I got thougherly drenched gathering up the tools and battery etc and with this rain and my track deteriorating I decided to go up to the main house and stay with the girls so I changed into dry stuff grabbed a few things and threw some toiletries in my new toiletries bag with the 12 month guarantee and came up to the main house to avoid getting stuck at the van ..that rain was the last straw and I only just made it out without getting bogged again..then after dinner and not wanting to disturb the others I decided to brush my teeth..in the dark..unfortunately the tube I grabbed was not tooth paste but deep heat rub I did not notice and put it on my tooth brush and brushed away..man it stung and took ages to get rid of and now I can't stop spitting. ..but never brush your teeth with deep heat rub as it does not ease the pain but multiplys it....alex
Old 25-02-2022, 08:18 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex
Sorry about your mishap but I did have a chuckle
I wonder if Deep Heat would cure a tooth ache ??
It definitely would eliminate bad breath !!!
A great story to share around a camp fire with a few ports
Martin
Old 25-02-2022, 08:23 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I did start making a pool que.
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_20220219_153437_resize_48.jpg)
127.7 KB71 views
Old 28-02-2022, 04:46 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

So it stopped raining so after a while I thought to come down to the observatory..let some water runn off the track to pick a passageway.I made it in and plan leaving after I have given the batteries a charge.

I should make it out ...harder getting out than in... If not I will ride the mower back up..I would stay but all my meds are now at the house...

Happily the batteries held on and the new fridge full of food did not stop and my smoked trouts and lamb roasts are still frozen solid..

I half expected to have found stuffed batteries and ruined food..but no thank goodness.

I was very surprised to find 13.5 vlts in the batteries and I wonder just how much power comes on a rainy day from the panels ( 2 x 375 watts) ...the fridge must take 4 to 5 smps ...I will put in place something to find out exactly..it was on the fridge that I turned off in the van and with nothing on those batteries now show 14 vlts which is amazing.

I expected that the boat would have sunk and I think it did ...however except for a lucky turn of events..the water got so high that it floated to on top of the jetty and I presumed sunk there and as the water went down it tilted such that most of the water drained out I have left it there as it seems responsible enough to seek the high ground...totally consistent with my good luck.

There were a few spots of water in the observatory but I keep everything covered just in case...the more you prepare the more good luck you have.

So I am so very very happy.

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG20220228170014_resize_64.jpg)
204.7 KB102 views
Old 21-04-2022, 11:03 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

With the continual rain I have not done very much other than set up three scopes each with their own cameras, power boxes etc so I don't have to "borrow" stuff to run any particular rig.

The fourth scope ( 8 inch Newtonian) has been pulled down as the mount needs attention..just a service really but it needs to be done and before I really start to put that set up together ( visual or live viewing via a big monitor) it is best to make sure the mount is perfect..it's an old EQ6 but an excellent mount due to me tweaking it for over a decade.

I mounted the RASA on a EQ 8 R via its tripod resting on the floor as putting in a pier for it will have to wait as it won't be easy and requires much thought and planning to do it after the building is in place.

Although early days I need to leave the observatory when taking photos as even coughing shows up with little worms ... surprising ..I mean I knew but to experience it first hand brings home how a solid floor is like a drum.

Taken care of lighting, put in a heater and a fan ordered another lap top table but it is mostly down to adjusting stuff..the 80mm is ok, as is the 115 mm butvthecRASA has a little way to go..then everything run and worked before cables get tied down etc.

The RASA is not a plug and play unit for someone who does not know what they are doing...I had to shorten an extension tube to reach focus ( thank goodness for the angle grinder, smooth file and two grades of fine sanding paper and a good gauge).

Needed a dew heater strip and now realise it needs a decent supply of power...so that needs to be sorted...the dew is terrible ..ordinarily I would not open up but I need to do star alignments, work out focusing, polar alignment ..generally trying to have things working for the future when the moisture is less..I hope.

I built a cable guide which took me all day but I have come up with a far superior design to what's out there and I am thinking to do it in "Blender" and have it printed but fortunately the thing I built seems to work well but my new design will be much better..

.I need to remove the dew shield to change a filter and I am considering putting a little door in the dew shield however it now comes off and goes back on with little fuss so I will hold of any action to think it thru...

There is no fitting on the RASA to attach a finder scope ( or guide scope more importantly) so I bolted a finder to a piece of scrape wood and taped the thing on...so ruff you could cry but it is doing the job whilst I wait for a bit to come from Bintel to make it decent.

I installed the electronic focuser but it did not work..I had ordered a second focuser for another scope and tried the controller that was for it ( the actual focuser is on back order) and happily the motor is ok but I have yet to refit it.

The focuser Mask so far has me beat..no pointy bits in the image??? So I blow up some stars and focus manually which so far is working well..to read stuff you could think manual focus is impossible with the RASA and yet I am doing it and there is not even the rubber cover knob on the focuser shaft...

The place is mainly a mess because I won't fix anything permanent until I can do a few nights...no matter how well you think things thru problems will still show up when actually doing real work...so lots of duct tape until the dust settles.

The tasks seem unending but it has more to do with the rain..firstly I don't like working there when it is racing and so far it rains most of the time..that is apart from my health issues which takes a lot of time away when things are not too good...I don't admit it but the reality is I am rather sick and have been bedridden most of the last year..so it gets in your way.

On the bright side, apart from getting sore swollen feet at the moment I feel not too bad.

The pain in the feet is demotivating but I just tell myself it is all in the mind and of course it is really...I am now taking morphine sulphate and it does not help in the least...but no pain from the cancer so that is wonderful.

AND last night for what ever reason could not find Octane star for polar align...having polar aligned a couple of months ago I thought now that things are near complete do another...so blue tacked the Pole master to the mount..that's right no where to put it on the EQ8 ( I relented and have ordered the fitting from Bintel as the blue tack is not entirely satisfactory..I know I am probably a little precious but I want to leave the camera on the mount and blue tack just can't be trusted in that roll...in the end I did a couple of time lapse and polar aligned that way and of course at that point Octane magically appeared..I just do not know what happened but it took ages to finally use the Pole master set up but having been careful I found I could get away with 2 minutes unguided and the only problem I feel now is balance..but I ran outta time..however as I plan doing subs under a minute until I get the guide scope sorted I am extremely happy..

I am re building a 70 mm Orion guide scope ..the objective literally fell out and it has sat in the drawer for years..I was going to take it back but after so long I thought fix it myself..I tested on the dslr and the lens is not too bad so I have ordered a helical focuser and will see how it goes for a wide field ..270 mm fl I think..but mainly for a viewing scope alongside the guide scope...not for full on visual but I do like to have something to have a peek..a check Sortta..

I have had to relocate the microscopes to the van because at the moment there is stuff everywhere...

Anyways that is a brief report...there is more but typing this has made me tired thinking of what I have done and all that still needs to be done.

Alex

Last edited by xelasnave; 21-04-2022 at 11:17 AM.
Old 21-04-2022, 11:07 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
With the continual rain I have not done very much other than set up three scopes each with their own cameras, power boxes etc so I don't have to "borrow" stuff to run any particular rig.

Anyways that is a brief report...there is more but typing this has made me tired thinking of what I have done and all that still needs to be done.

Alex
Ah...busy busy Alex ...any time spent in the lakeside hammock?

Mike
Old 21-04-2022, 01:14 PM
leon

Alex I read your posts with joy and a smile especially about the Deep Heat Rub, that's a cracker mate.
Gee Alex you sure stay busy and seem to have something on the go all the time.
A fitter man would have trouble keeping up, keep up the good work mate.

Stay well my friend.

Leon
Old 21-04-2022, 01:45 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Ah...busy busy Alex ...any time spent in the lakeside hammock?

Mike
No it has been too wet although today I drove by on the mower and stopped and went to lay down but thought of something to do in the observatory and just haven't got back there..so it goes unused for the moment.

Here is a photo of the guide scope on my DLSR.

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20220422_075053.jpg)
190.3 KB49 views

Last edited by xelasnave; 22-04-2022 at 07:05 AM.
Old 22-04-2022, 07:39 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Alex I read your posts with joy and a smile especially about the Deep Heat Rub, that's a cracker mate.
Gee Alex you sure stay busy and seem to have something on the go all the time.
A fitter man would have trouble keeping up, keep up the good work mate.

Stay well my friend.

Leon
The deep heat rub error reminds me of the time ( just after starting to stay at my late father's house ..now my city residence ) when I found what I thought was flour to add to the rissoles I was making but it turned out to be tiling grout. I often wonder just how they would have turned out...but apparently would have been poisonous..but you would think they would taste crook...mm but what if for some reason they were tasty...I could have died saying they were the tastiest rissoles ever.

It only seems like I do a lot because it is an account of weeks of work all at once ... the fact is I need to spend a lot of time in bed these days..

You stay well Leon and make sure you look after Alice and put her first always.
Alex
Old 22-04-2022, 10:01 AM
leon

Yea I suppose Alex I didn't quite look at it like that, I do think of you often and wonder how it is all going for you mate.

Alice and I are in a good place Alex, we are happy and life is good to us, we have found a place that gives us peace and plenty to occupy us.

Stay as well as you can Alex

Leon
Old 22-04-2022, 10:14 AM
glend (Glen)

Alex, your tile grout cuisine would certainly "stick to your ribs".
Old 22-04-2022, 04:08 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

OK feet are doing their best to bring me down...as I always say there is always a bright side..so I have to lay in bed with my feet well elevated so I tried playing the guitar on my back with my eyes closed ..great for practice..for what ever reason guitarists are driven to look at their left hand and fret board...well I have broken that habit and for whatever reason my playing has improved.

Anyways my parcel came from Bintel.

Can't lay around so went with the top down and picked it up.

I pulled out the fitting to attach the Polemaster camera..but I forgot I had ordered it as I was hoping John had turned up a helical focuser..I looked at the Polemaster fitting and thought it had to be the worst helical focuser on the planet and turning it around did not move anything in or out...but when I seperated the parts the bevel thingy gave it away..hey this ain't a helical focuser...the other thing John sent me was a unit to fit my finder scope..needless to say something needed work with the angle grinder ( an absolute must have tool for every astrophotographer)....so after delicate adjustments it all came together..I enclose photos which is near as good as being there...

Edit..photos are not uploading so I will try later..much much later

Alex
Old 22-04-2022, 04:23 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Before and after stuff..fine adjustment of bracket to hold finder scopes
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_20220422_143931.jpg)
195.7 KB72 views
Old 22-04-2022, 04:26 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Next
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_20220422_162529.jpg)
160.7 KB84 views
Old 12-06-2022, 04:03 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Just looking around today and trying to determine what progress have I made since the last post...

Well the old EQ6 Is now really truely fixed and has a place but I removed the eight inch to do some work on it but the testing of the old mount shows it is like a fine wine aged to perfection..but remember I have pulled this mount down countless times trying to blue print it...I have actually polished the gear teeth with a tooth brush and tooth paste in an effort to make them better and real smooth..anyways this time I did not have to pull it all the way down and adjusted the gears externally...I was going to have the eight inch on it for visual but not so sure now.

Other things?

Well the biggest job since last posting is that I drilled 2 inch holes in the floor close to each mount ( although not near the old as 6 yet) enabling me to bring extention leads up from under the floor to a five place power point for each mount set up so things are rather neat now around each mount ( three of them have their own power for mount, camera, heaters and lap top power. It was a big job for me and at one point I managed to get stuck under the observatory but could not figure how to get out..I could not back out but finally realised just to crawl to the other side but my walking frame was on the side I came in so getting onto my feet was fun ..but I like being put to the test keeps me active...all these leads go back to the power shed and each lead has it's own power point...everything runs from the batteriesvia an inverter so everything around a mount is 240 volt running thru whatever to get back to 12 volt...240 makes it easier to get power around from here to there... but of late I run the genny while I am imaging because the weather has not given much Sunlight and my policy is not to run down the batteries..a few dollars regularly in petrol is still better than destroying $2k of batteries by being too thrifty.

I now have the eq5 carrying the 80 mm triplet with zwo OSC 2600 and it works well although perhaps could do with some attention in the back focus department.

It will run unguided and I have been doing some casual sessions..being so wet and misty I have yet to get serious with this scope and rig..or any of them really, ..just as well as I still have things to sort out...like the light pad for flats..no ideas for it yet.

The 115 mm with zwo 1600 mono and filter wheel ( 8 pos) is now working well on the eq6 on its permanent pier and I have done sessions where I run both the 115 mm and the 80mm...seems easy but like most things it is busy... I have yet to run auto guide on this set up because I took it off to run on the eq5 with the Nikon but for what ever reason the mount played up .. it is just a matter of putting it on it's bracket...I have an old asiair to fit at some point mainly to release a lap top.

The RASA now has the electric focuser working and zwo 2600 mono with fikter drawer but I am waiting on a guide camera for it..not that will stop me..also a new ring type dew heater coming..the RASA requires so much after market playing around it is tiresome....I have back focus sorted ( only took some work with my angle grinder) but that spacer is between the camera and the filter draw which must be changed but at ,least it works...but probably a relocation will be benificial pariculary at 2.2 fr....I have ordered a asiair plus for it but when it will arrive is a great unknown.... I relocated the solar panel that provide power to the 120 amp battery dedicated to the two winch motors thinking having the motors separate could be a good idea but one night they failed ..why not sure but I cut into their wires to add a charger that I can access from inside.
Better to find out now.

I took the wheel chair out but hope to put it back in when things settle a bit more..I now have two little lap top desks and two big desks one of which I hope to remove as things get tidied up more.

But although it feels like it's all done one finds days go on just little things..fixing cables for example...however I am rather happy with all that I have achieved so far and even though the imaging has been in wet conditions and made short every night by cloud I find it thourerly enjoyable just "mucking about"..

AND a tip folks..get yourself heat pads..usually at the chemist..they make all the difference stuck on your shirt and handy if you find you don't have a dew heater for a scope..I need many more dew heaters but the pads have saved me both on the Nikon and on the 80mm ..And I bet they will be used on the guide scope very soon..

Thanks for listening.

Alex
Old 12-06-2022, 04:55 PM
JA

It's great to hear of your exploits Alex. Keep it up

Best
JA
Old 12-06-2022, 05:01 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex
From the sound of it you must be very pleased with progress of your Obs and set ups
I’m actually amazed you have all this equipment and cabling installed with minimal assistance considering what you’ve been through in the past year with your health
I have nothing but admiration for you
Well done !!

Now for some clear nights

Cheers
Martin

PS: I’ve finally finished building and testing my 10” Carbon fibre newt and my new EQ8-R pro mount arrived last Thursday. Man this mount is a beast of a thing, so solid and heavy !!!
I’ll be heading down south to my Dome week after next to install the new mount and newt , hope to have operational by end of June
Old 13-06-2022, 07:27 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thank you for the encouragement JA I greatly appreciate your input.

Thank you Martin for your input however I feel bound to remind you that I owe just so much to my assistant who got me thru those times where I was totally useless because if not for his help I would be many many months behind.

Thanks for mentioning your progress because I often wonder how things are and I am very happy to hear your mount has arrived and your new set up is nearly ready to use.

I must mention it has been very enjoyable watching your progress over all these years...and to now see you are able to help others with your hard won knowledge is a real joy.

Alex
Old 20-09-2022, 11:46 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I have been mentioning things in other threads but thought to add updates here.

I hope I have not left much out...

The idea of standing the RASA and EQ8 on the floor was wishful thinking..my idea was to put it on the central pier but that would mean my alluminium hand made casting of the connection between the mount and the pier would be scraped..and looking at that casting reminds me of what a huge task it was for me and is a little reminder that if you work at something long enought good results follow...I am rather proud of it and so I cant not just scrap it...and if I move thecRASA there I would need to make another one just for the RASA...mmm which is a good reason to move it to the middle I guess..a second casting should be easy.

So I made three holes in the floor and built a concrete pad on the ground under pinned with star pickets driven into the ground and more star pickets (3 for each pier) inside the pipes that also become form work for the concrete... such that now the RASA and EQ8 via the tripod sit on a very solid foundation. (When I say I it was my assistant who became my hands...but supervising was the big part as although it seems simple you must measure measure measure and then measure again...interestingly When the RASA was back in place but on top of the piers the pa was only 37 minutes out on the horizontal and elevation was with in seconds...it pays to try and be perfect..happily these days I thought that was not too far off and rather than be disappointed I took pride that it was so close..but I just knew the elevation would be off because I only guessed the level on thectop of the front pier..but 37 seconds showed it was a decent guess...I suppose I could move thexrasaout of the way and sand it down to get it perfect...I guess I will have to I cant just leave such a glaring fault there and me knowing it is there...I think Ibshould sckip my sleep and get onto it right away.

A chap offered some 250 mm pvc pipe but I could not wait and so purchased some steel pipe 150 mm and filled them with concrete around three star pickets.. very strong and stable..I was not sure that the pvc 250 mm pipe would happen but on calling at the Rural Agent was given 2 mtrs of pvc pipe that the guy set aside for me....so I have decided to use that pipe to put in another 3 pier system to place my EQ 5 mount and 80mm refractor...it will be identical so I can change the EQ 8 and EQ 5 around...

So today I purchasered all the star pickets and most of the concrete to do this additional pier set up,.. my assistant may do it on Thursday but if not I will start when I finish sorting the winches...the new fittings are well on the way and if I had it in me I would have finished today but I really need to take it a bit easy as after all I am 75 ..it's not like I am only 65 is it..

I added an Asiair plus to the RASA set up and I am 110% impressed...I can now lay in the van and control everything...so impressed I have ordered another two Asiair plus units to go on the EQ6 with the 115 mm and on the EQ 5 with the 80 mm...I also ordered the final EAF so all three will be controlled via my phone...so on a good night there will be three flows of data...I am not sure about merging the data from all three into one image..I did get some software but it seems too clunky to be of practical use..anyways three different objects in a night is the way of it at least for now.

The changing of filters on the RASA is a real pain so I think I will just use it with the ZWO 2600 OSC ( not happy with this compromise but I do have a filter draw on the OSC and I may get one of those fancy filters if I can find something that handles the RASAs fast action.... and get a filter wheel to handles the 2 inch filters I bought for it and place them on the 115mm...that way I won't have to go into the observatory other than to get food from my second camper fridge which lives in there and pick up the USB sticks with data for processing in the van..the 80mm has the ZWO 1600 mono and eight place filter wheel waiting to go on after I fit the EAF.

So 2 Asiairs and one EAF are one the way.

Now the roof needs to be controlled from bed as well...so I am making a fitting that will enable two cables to go on the one winch..( need two fittings as there are two winches) when one is pulled in the other will go out..now this is proving difficult as I have spent two days and can see another two days before I get it to work however the pay off will be worth it as the current set has me relocating the cables and for me it is simply dangerous..I waddle around like a penguin and how I have not had a fall is testimony to my extreme good luck...I really need the new wheels in place to do useful testing...

AND...

I am waiting on new wheels that should be a huge improvement...if not I will need to add more wheels..but it is a terrible job as you need to Jack up up the roof so the runner will be off the track by at least five inches..I have yet to work out how to provide safety measures so the roof does not slide off...It is one of thosecthingscwhere you think itsxweightvwill hold it in place nn not me..I can already image trying to get something liked that back where it should be.....the new wheels may be here tomorrow..so I really need to start to work out the safest way to change the wheels..but I will drill inspection and or lubrication holes...and if I can change the set up so I can change wheels with out a huge jacking that is worth while..a chance to create a system to add more wheels...honestly the sound of dragging the roof at the moment is over the top .it it so loud .. it is like there are no wheels at all...anyways it will be made right...I asked the neighbour ages ago and they saidctgey do not notice..but they must..a clean mower going back and forth.. scull dragging the roof...

Further to control the roof I ordered an Arduino started kit..it's here but unwrapped.. so I can learn about how to set it up..I know at least I need relays and must write some code..it will be fun and great to stop me getting old .. I once dabbled in basic so I am prepared not to get frustrated or give up.

Also as I plan doing mega stacks in a Sortta lucky imaging approach I asked my daughter to build a decent desk top computer..which is complete and we are now adding softeware a second screen power box etc...powering it needs attention but that can come later..next week as I have enough for this week...I have had no time to play guitar and that is so important to keep the old brain working I believe..it's really just numbers at the bottom of what you do when improvising..feel comes into it but numbers are the rules.

I must take a break now as I have been now imaging more or less all night for three nights and I think it prudent to sleep more today as tonight holds promise...but what I do is set up to take say 1.5 hours and watch some sort of history video so I nod off dreaming I am part of history and set the alarm so I wake up before the mount decides to park...this is where the system needs refinement as I have to wake up to change a filter...so finally when it's is all set up I can open from bed program each Asiair set them running and go to sleep...OH..I just remembered I need a monitoring camera so to see what is going on in the observatory while I am in bed...

Anyways when this is all working I will be able to put more time into the microscopes as they are not getting used and I have so many little ideas I want to work with on the photography side...

Anyways sorry to be so brief and not showing step by step ..if any one has a specific question I of course will do my best to answer.

Alex

Last edited by xelasnave; 20-09-2022 at 12:12 PM.
Old 21-09-2022, 08:16 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Wheels are at Post Office, materials for second tripod pier now on site, assistant ready to work tomorrow, nearly finished the fittings to make dual drum running..
The Arduino starter kit arrived and it is just parts and no directions ..I would be happy to put it together but heck I need a diagram at least..starter kit and no directions????

Changed the camera in the RASA to the OSC and although not tested I think back focus etc is ok.

It all go thank goodness as I got some sleep.

Alex