Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories

Old 22-06-2019, 03:35 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

It was not a flat battery the drill that was to carry the hex driver seems dead...I tried it on my astronomy battery and nothing happened other that the wire got hot which may be an indicator that there is something wrong with it☺

So for the shortest day it was a long one for me.
It took a while to square the roof fot the wheels lay the ply and the ply and get the iron just right for coverage but I at least got it all done and will screw the iron down next time up here...still lots of things to do but at least it is almost at lock up stage...better start looking for tenants☺...
Here are so photos taken when I packed up 15 minutes ago.
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20190622_161231-1.jpg)
174.7 KB145 views
Click for full-size image (20190622_161118-1-1.jpg)
121.4 KB131 views
Old 22-06-2019, 04:10 PM
Imme (Jon)

Great work Alex. You never cease to amaze mate.

Many in this world could are a leaf out of your book when it comes to your “passion” for things......my hats off to you
Old 22-06-2019, 05:36 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imme View Post
Great work Alex. You never cease to amaze mate.

Many in this world could are a leaf out of your book when it comes to your “passion” for things......my hats off to you
Thank you Jon for your very kind words. I think there must be plenty of folk just as "passionate" as me...in fact I am sure of that...its just I rattle on a bit you see.

But I do believe one must keep interested in stuff...new stuff particularly...and always realise there are lots of humans on this planet. .more here than any other planet that I know of..and so many different interests they follow and therefore so much new stuff for each of us to learn about.

I am happy to have got the observatory mainly completed...did not take long...although still.a lot of work to do next trip...I just want to get it all working.
Thanks again
Alex

Additional photo...this is looking at the back..I was too lazy to cut the fibrous cement cladding..it only needed to cover the front section so the sides at the rear are un necessary...however it occurred to me that I could add a roof (under the rolling roof) and use it to house the small genny and battery and other stuff and mount the solar panel on the second roof..and if I dug down two feet I could have standing room...but I will see where water flows before I start digging☺.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20190622_161035-1.jpg)
197.1 KB197 views

Last edited by xelasnave; 23-06-2019 at 08:35 AM.
Old 24-06-2019, 08:30 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Looking good Alex,

May I enquire why you didn't build it with standing height in mind? Not trying to be critical or anything, just curious since you mention perhaps digging down to give you standing room..

Cheers
Old 25-06-2019, 03:58 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
Looking good Alex,

May I enquire why you didn't build it with standing height in mind? Not trying to be critical or anything, just curious since you mention perhaps digging down to give you standing room..

Cheers
Hi Carlton
You certainly may enquire.
The main game was always the 8 x 4 x 4 "box" to house the scopes. The laziness left me not cutting the sides to that size (remember however everything that seems simple is unfortunately a major effort for me) and as an after though I thought that I could make a little room to house the genny and battery..that sort of thing...it was then I thought to dig down but only for the "shed". Standing straight is somewhat a necessity in my world☺.
The main area is dependant on four foot high walls...and thinking more about it I probably dont need the shed area to be standing room as I can position the genny such that I can get at it from the outside.
And I always welcome critism as often it alerts one to a problem that you have not considered.
Thank you for your interest.
Alex
Old 25-06-2019, 04:02 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Anyways drove down yesterday so all work has stopped until I return.
Alex
Old 25-06-2019, 04:06 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Hi Carlton
You certainly may enquire.
The main game was always the 8 x 4 x 4 "box" to house the scopes. The laziness left me not cutting the sides to that size (remember however everything that seems simple is unfortunately a major effort for me) and as an after though I thought that I could make a little room to house the genny and battery..that sort of thing...it was then I thought to dig down but only for the "shed". Standing straight is somewhat a necessity in my world☺.
The main area is dependant on four foot high walls...and thinking more about it I probably dont need the shed area to be standing room as I can position the genny such that I can get at it from the outside.
And I always welcome critism as often it alerts one to a problem that you have not considered.
Thank you for your interest.
Alex
Old 06-07-2019, 07:18 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Up date.
I figured how to screw down the roof☺ I cant climb up on it...so ...if I do one sheet at a time I can stand on the ground and I think reach everything ...however since I got back it has not stopped raining.
Well there are breaks but I cant get caught with the iron off as I dont want the ply lining to get wet at all...it may not like it☺.
But I have set up in the caravan and have now spent 3 nights in it...first night it got down to 9 degrees which I find cold...I found a cement paver and put it on the gas stove which took the edge off the cold..was careful re ventilation☺.I have not got the fridge stove or lights working but have set up the astronomy gears battery and inverter for basic needs like phone charging lappy charging camera battery and tablet...I have set up my artist easel and paints in the annex and set up a basic work bench ... the bed is great☺ plenty of space in the van and most comfortable...a little water draining into the annex but I will dig a better trench today.
I have managed some star trail snaps to identify trees hiding the CSP... I have cut down two but because of the rain and cloud can not yet tell if there is a limited view of CSP...There may be two other trees which are a little too big for me so if they are in the way I will ring bark them and see if I can get away with that approach... I have dug out my large chain saw but with crook legs its a bit dangerous really...maybe do them with an axe could be safer.
I have been agonizing as to what to do for a floor...First I was going to do a slab..then I thought to make up 2ft square pavers but thinking things through I think I should lift the thing and make up a frame to hold a thick ply floor.. I have nice cut trees close for two tripods and two endless chains if I need to lift it but I can probably just roll it onto the floor when its built...that option has the advantage of being able to react better to the ground settling more..but also I read from a chap who had built a couple of observatories his preference for a framed floor over cement because of the cements propensity to gather and hold heat...and I can see that cement may not be the best option...anyways hopefully my next report is that the roof is completed...today I am going to see if I have enough 2x3 for the floor...maybe Monday pick up some ply...slowly slowly but I am getting there..once I would have this done in a weekend but the legs really slow things up somehow.
And thinking about electricity in the van..I think I will not even try to use the existing wiring... I can track from the solar panels to the regulator to the battery so I think I wont bother with the existing 240 circuit and just hang an inverter near the regulator with a four point power board...its an old van and I dont trust the condition of the 240 vlt wiring...and I am going to use 10 lt water bottles to supply drinking water and not worry about using the existing water tank in the van..who knows what could be in it☺ but I will stick a $50 bilge pump at the dam to bring up water for washing and bathing and maybe a vegie patch.
And unrelated..there is a car rally going past here on 20 th so wont that be fun for some photos☺.
Alex
Old 06-07-2019, 10:08 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thinking about the floor some more..I will build the frame inside the structure and trim the ply floor to fit..that means I will have to be real careful and exact but lifting the thing is a lot of work which ever way you look at it.. there is opportunity for gaps but hopefully they will be small enough to be hidden with some board.
But the rain is getting worse ... but on the positive having time to think about things is a big help and probably means I am actually saving time..at least I have not spent the day errecting two tripods and two sets of endless chain. But I cant get out even to measure and cut the frame as I have to have the roof off just for that...maybe I could crawl around but again I camt uncover my wood pile with this rain.
And worst of all when it does stop photos will probably be out cause it will be real dewy.
Probably have to run the genny for a battery charge.
Also I found some excellent bracket material to weather proof the external corners..a big score as I thought I would have to buy something and out here its not only the expence you want to avoid but getting it home.
Alex
Old 07-07-2019, 09:39 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Measured for the frame so off to the wood pile.
Alex
Old 07-07-2019, 12:13 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Frame cut and delivered to site and just in time as it started to rain...just got the iron back on in time having taken it off (all but one sheet) to do the screwing this afternoon. ...anyways another small forward step.
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20190707_124357-1.jpg)
208.5 KB81 views
Old 08-07-2019, 06:30 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

It's funny how what seemed a simple project gets more complex as you get into it...it is like it's finished but not a third of the way done,...this floor is becoming a difficult job.
Alex
Old 08-07-2019, 03:50 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Got the ply and black floor paint (for top of and bottom of floor) ...forgot the screws but they can come later.
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20190708_160942-1.jpg)
180.6 KB159 views
Old 09-07-2019, 05:06 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I have been lucky this morning as the sky was clear enough to take some star trails and narrow down the trees in the way of the CSP so another step forward.
Alex
Old 09-07-2019, 03:45 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I was so tired today but I managed to screw down the iron roof at last ...borrowed a step ladder which gave access to all the roof without actually climbing on it but for me it was like climbing My Everest...up and down each two screws ....but I am so happy it's done and only two screws missed the beam which I can sort out ..Add a little section of beam just for them.
Also the ply for the floor was brought down so I will be able to complete the floor over the next couple of days ... Well get it mostly done.

Trimmed the excess ply lining and a few over hangs. There are a lot of little things to get it all right...bit out of square which oncewould have me burning the lot but I have overcome such obsession with perfection...it works and on the whole does not look too bad...anyways the next one will be perfect this one is a proto type...thats how I can accept little flaws.

The timber I fixed to the roof to stop it going off track failed but it moves ok until I add something more.

So it's a clear day looks as though it will be a clear night so I will set up the heq5 on it's tripod to get an idea how high to have the pier but I doubt if I will get any photos as I think I need an early night....but I have lit my pile of wood in the fire pit to see how that effects dew in the clearing...Anyways it will be nice to sit by it and just look at the Milky Way and relax.
May do some toast..there is nothing like toast on an open fire.
Alex
Old 09-07-2019, 07:28 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Damn it...initial observations tell me that the eight inch won't work in this set up as the thing is not wide enough...the cube in Sydney was oriented with the diagonal lined up North South which gives room for the eight..I just did not think it through...So the options seem to be..leave the eight out and bring up the cube for it up here, or rotate the whole thing 90 degrees which although seemingly impossible can be done with rollers and rails...or partly dismantle it and widen it .... Anyways the 80 mm should fit although I will set it up another night too tired too disheartened at the moment..before I do anything I will bring the eight up and set the eight up and see just what I am working with....Great night here and doing some widefield but the dew is as expected very heavy and I don't think the fire will help...also more trees need to come down as I can't see the Southern cross which is a surprise..I love surprises...yes I love surprises and problems as they can only help build ones character.
It feels better writing it down for some reason.
Look at everything that has gone right and don't let the minor set backs ruin your day...beats talking to myself...arrrrrggghhh
Alex
Old 09-07-2019, 08:28 PM
dikman (Richard)

Alex, when you're making things up as you go these minor setbacks are inevitable (I have a lot of experience with this ).

Just sit back by your fire, enjoy the quiet country surrounds, savour the night sky and think how many of us would love to be there.

It's good for the soul.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:43 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thank you.
Its been a good night so far.
Managed some shots although with great difficulty...the dew shield I found seems to be working...but that fire sure took some wood..just spent half and hour dragging more in under moonlight... this cold no worry with snakes.
I wont let minor set backs destroy my day rather night.
I will give it another hour and have an early night.
Alex
Old 10-07-2019, 02:17 PM
dikman (Richard)

Just a thought re- your fire - have you thought about trying to find an old pot belly stove or slow combustion heater to use outside? That way you could have a fire but not go through tons of wood.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:17 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dikman View Post
Just a thought re- your fire - have you thought about trying to find an old pot belly stove or slow combustion heater to use outside? That way you could have a fire but not go through tons of wood.
I have tons of wood that I want to get rid of its just hard work moving it...part of Bush fire prevention strategy. I like to watch the firs and coals as well.
Alex