Old 03-02-2012, 01:22 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Hi Matt
The Celestron 127eq is not a bad scope as far as it goes.. The scope itself works OK but the EQ mount can be a bit of a handful for beginners.
Persevere with it as there is lots yopu will be able to see to whet your appetite for more aperture in the future!

Malcolm
Old 05-02-2012, 02:10 PM
yohanan
John

New here

Hi - new here. Have prowled the site and looks like a nice place.

Have read many of the 'how to' posts and followed many of the links.

Have no joined a club as yet but in touch with one no all that far away.

I have read some excellent posts that are really valuable for someone like me just starting out. Many thanks to those contributors who have put some much time and effort into those very informative posts.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:11 PM
dro56595 (Dan)
Dan

Hi all. A newcomer to this site and a relative newbie to this astronomy thing.

I purchased a cheapie telescope with manual EQ mount six or seven years ago. Managed to see Jupiter and its moons, Saturn and rings, the Orion Nebula - basically the easy ones. What that 'scope taught me was that I wanted a better one that will allow quick and easy finding of all those pretty things out there, and to photograph them. Didn't use it for ages while living in western Sydney (could barely see anything except for police helicopter searchlights!). Have just moved to Port Stephens where I can at least see the Magellenic Clouds, so she got unpacked again and interest re-ignited.

Being time poor (especially with small kids, wife, job and another engaging hobby), I wanted a quick astro fix.

Have just purchased a Celestron CPC 8" S/C with all those goodies that make finding things easy. A cheapie NexImage camera will at least get me started with some imaging and the slow learning curve of getting the best out of it.

Am looking forward to lots of reading/learning here, and hope to make a contribution one day.

Got some good views of Jupiter in the early evening at the moment. Will see what I can get tonight if the storm clouds clear away ...

Cheers,

Dan
Old 11-02-2012, 10:35 PM
janine

Well hellooooo everyone!

Im a newbie too, just joined this forum through a couple of awesome people who I have met through my other forum The WA Weathergroup (WAWG). I am just starting to get into Astronomy - only after god knows how many years of wanting to - you know how it is. Finally I am getting my behind into gear and taking the steps to follow my passion.

I say passion because it is, and without boring you with a full on biography of me, I basically am a 31 yr old woman from the UK (yorkshire, good job you can't hear my accent or you would be lost at hello) and I have lived here in WA for 8 years. I was a sports and beauty therapist back home and the first few years here, went through some life changing times, as you do, decided that it is about time that I started doing things that I have wanted to do for years. I am quite outgoing, like to have a laugh and a joke, very sensitive, passionate, enthusiastic, caring............... you could define me as a, umm, intrextrovert! New word!! it means me!

Im now at Uni, full time student, studying Environmental Science, Sustainability and Physics (physics yet to commence). I have a huge interest in Earth science and my knowledge isn't that bad, I have a general knowledge of the Universe, our solar system etc but a total novice at Astronomy, my math sucks and this needs addressing big style other wise I'm screwed :/. I am in the process of joining ASWA where I will be off to the meetings and doing the beginner classes in Astronomy to help me out.

If any of you guys are near to me, feel free to drop me a email, hey, if any of you guys aren't near to me drop me an email or a line lol, I wanna meet as many like minded people as humanly (or non human ;p ) as possible.

So, thats my little intro done, I'll spend sometime working out how the forum works and look forward to meeting you guys and learning

Janine
Old 11-02-2012, 11:27 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Hi Janine, Welcome to IIS.
Great intro. I reckon you're going to fit in very easily here. They're a great bunch of people.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:31 PM
janine

Hia jjjnettie,

Aww tar very much for saying that I'm sure I will too It seems like everyones awesome so Im stoked to have joined
Old 11-02-2012, 11:52 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Hi Janine, welcome. Hope your studies go well.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:42 AM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Hi Janine and welcome to IIS

It's a great place, I think you'll have a great time here.

Do you have a scope?

Cheers
Old 12-02-2012, 10:07 AM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

hi Janine
another astro chick woooohoooo

Do you have any astro gear to play with yet
Old 12-02-2012, 11:15 AM
Ric
Support your local RFS

We'd better stock up on emoticons and purple ink then.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:04 PM
janine

Hi guys!
Wow thanks for the welcomes :eye pop:
Really nice of you all to say howdy.

Well - at this moment in time I have no scope but in all honesty I'm not sure what I would get. I am going to wait until I do my first few classes with ASWA so I know what Im doing and know more about what telescopes would be

Any of you got any advice?

Also, I don't seem to be getting an email telling me that I have new comments - not sure why thought id set that to email me lol, so If I don't reply ASAP thats why

Study is going well - loooooooooonnggg road ahead, 3 majors, what can I say, Im a bit tapped in the head I think lol, but sure I will get there, before I'm like, 60 and it will be worth it, just enjoying these new experiences!
Old 12-02-2012, 12:14 PM
janine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric View Post
we'd better stock up on emoticons and purple ink then.
lol :p
Old 23-02-2012, 03:05 PM
catweazel (Allan)
Noob

hello all

New hobby has begun.

I'm a Physics student at JCU townsville, did an astronomy subject last year and finally know what i want to do when i grow up (i'm 43).

i've been lurking here for a few months and decided its about time I say hi

... Hi

I'm interested in visual astronomy of planets, galaxies and nebulae.
I want to study neutron stars postgrad.

I don't have a real scope yet, i don't count the 76x300mm toy dob i baught to see if this was a passing fad or not. It gave me a taste and lead me to borrow the uni's 8" neut over christmass... and now i want more, much more.
Old 23-02-2012, 08:15 PM
Liz

Welcome Janine and Allan - IIS is a great site, you will have a ball!!

Welcome catweazel - see you around!!
Old 23-02-2012, 08:28 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

hello to all the noobies
Welcome to IIS hope to see you all around the forums sometime cheers
Old 28-02-2012, 07:09 AM
Caprica (Amanda)
Beginner Astronomer

Hi,
I am a newbie, newbie (said it twice so you understand just how new I am). I am in my second year of Bach Education (primary) at UNE near Armidale. Unfortunatley I do not live there, but in South West Sydney. This trimester I am studying Astronomy and its only just started but I can't stop!

My husband brought me a Dobsonian 10" (go-to) Skywatcher. Its so new we have only taken out once and did not have a chance to get the hang of it. Since then the weather has been bad. Can not wait till it clears.

Any suggestions as to what to look for first? I have been told the jewel box is pretty cool.

I have always been amazed at the universe, although I know nothing about it. I am looking forward to learning a lot and getting some good advice from all you experts. but please be patient as I am not up with the lingo yet!
Old 28-02-2012, 07:26 AM
Shark Bait (Stu)
'ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha'

Hi Caprica, this forum is tops. I joined a few months ago and have not looked back. The people on it are great.

Below is a link to a previous thread that contains a lot of useful information. Check out the posts by Screwdriverone, as he goes into a lot of detail that will probably help you out.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=85900

Did the retailer that you purchased from give you any advice regarding collimation?
Old 28-02-2012, 08:49 AM
Caprica (Amanda)
Beginner Astronomer

hang on I need to google collimation!

My hubby is still figuring it out, I have asked him if Steve (the man he bought it from) discussed collimation. Gosh this is going to be a big learning curve for both of us, but we are so keen.
Thanks
Old 28-02-2012, 09:09 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Hi Amanda. The Jewel Box is super cool! Go for it! Collimate later
Old 28-02-2012, 10:10 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

yay another astro chick woohoo
to IIS Amanda, you will learn a lot from this site see you around the forums cheers