Old 01-05-2021, 07:09 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

A test for my guide camera

I've never done this before but last night I did some LRGB imaging with my ZWO ASI 120MMs guide camera. I'm using this with my DSLR for auto guiding occasionally but never as the main camera. In fact, I don't think anyone here on IIS has ever used one for deep space objects, so I thought I'd give it a go.

Well, as you can see it worked, although light pollution from Bortle 7 skies and a waning gibbous moon two days past full didn't help. I think if I'd used better LRGB filters ( and not an old Meade set I bought on IIS a few years ago ) then the colour balance may well have been easier to achieve.

The ASI 120MM sensor is small, so this shot was hardly cropped at all and using my SW 6 inch f5 Newtonian, M83 just fitted in the frame. This was done unguided ( an issue when using your guide camera as the main imaging device ) and I only took 20 x 60sec subs through each filter so it's rather noisy but I am quite pleased with what this little camera can do!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (M83_Asi120mms.jpg)
196.2 KB180 views

Last edited by Mickoid; 01-05-2021 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-05-2021, 07:44 PM
Anth10 (Anthony M)
When its late stay awake

Hit the target Mick!
Unconventional but yes you’ve proven you can achieve a good shot with any combination of current gear out there.
Good work.
Old 02-05-2021, 05:16 PM
Imme (Jon)

........ welcome to the dark side mike.

Filters and a mono camera, who would have thought! Hahaha.

Great effort and some great detail there. Colts are also fantastic, I really like it!

Can I ask what you processed it in?
Old 02-05-2021, 06:15 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth10 View Post
Hit the target Mick!
Unconventional but yes you’ve proven you can achieve a good shot with any combination of current gear out there.
Good work.
Thanks Anthony, you know I like doing things unconventionally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imme View Post
........ welcome to the dark side mike.

Filters and a mono camera, who would have thought! Hahaha.

Great effort and some great detail there. Colts are also fantastic, I really like it!

Can I ask what you processed it in?
Thanks Jon, it wasn't a serious attempt by any stretch of the imagination. I purely wanted to know what this camera could do on deep sky as it does a great job on planetary. I processed it in DSS, STs and PS. Haven't hit the dark side yet, just a little distraction along the way!
Old 02-05-2021, 06:22 PM
Imme (Jon)

If that wasn’t a serious attempt then it’s probably time you did make a serious one mike because that’s pretty darn good for an asi120!
Old 02-05-2021, 07:00 PM
AdamJL

ha, that's brilliant.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:34 PM
RyanJones

Very nice Micheal,

This image made me smile. I love what you’ve done with a guide cam. It just so happens it’s what I use as a guide camera too. Great work thinking outside the box and a good image to boot. Well done 👍

Ryan
Old 03-05-2021, 09:12 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Great test, I recently purchased one and was curious as well. Now I need a Guide camera to guide it for better images
Old 04-05-2021, 08:53 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

"ha, that's brilliant!" - Glad you liked it Adam, using the camera in a way it wasn't intended to be used is a bit odd but I was curious to see if it would perform.

"Very nice Micheal, This image made me smile. I love what you’ve done with a guide cam. It just so happens it’s what I use as a guide camera too. Great work thinking outside the box and a good image to boot. Well done" - Thanks Ryan, well our guide cameras are a cheap way into mono deep sky photography as long as you're prepared to sacrifice auto guiding.

"Great test, I recently purchased one and was curious as well. Now I need a Guide camera to guide it for better images" - Glad to satisfy your curiosity Malcolm, no need to buy another camera, just use it unguided, that's what I did for this shot.