Old 22-06-2021, 06:22 AM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Disappointingly, although I created a support ticket last Friday morning and added lots of info to it, Staraid support folks, (if there are any), have not responded at all thus far. I therefore have no further information. Is it too early to say I’m disappointed with customer service?

I still find it very hard to believe the device doesn’t work properly though because there are people, even in Australia that have no problems with it. Perhaps they pick it up differently to me, or are left-handed, or, or, or?
Old 22-06-2021, 06:32 AM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCosmos View Post
Disappointingly, although I created a support ticket last Friday morning and added lots of info to it, Staraid support folks, (if there are any), have not responded at all thus far. I therefore have no further information. Is it too early to say I’m disappointed with customer service?

I still find it very hard to believe the device doesn’t work properly though because there are people, even in Australia that have no problems with it. Perhaps they pick it up differently to me, or are left-handed, or, or, or?
Do you know anyone around your area that has a different mount that you could try this on?
Old 22-06-2021, 06:35 AM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Tucker View Post
Do you know anyone around your area that has a different mount that you could try this on?
I’m sure that is more than possible and will be something I try very soon. I’m also keen to try a shorter focal length guidescope.
Old 23-06-2021, 08:24 AM
OneCosmos (Chris)

I have ordered the SVBony 30mm guidescope - because Amazon had it for $69 - cheap enough to be worth testing.

As disappointed as I am that I haven't been able to get the thing to work as advertised, I'm even more disappointed with their customer service and I'm not even convinced at the moment that their service portal is monitored at all - it may be nothing more than a cathartic front. I may be being uncharitable though as I only raised the case on Friday, but I think most vendors would have responded by now at least with a 'I'm looking at it and will get back to you shortly' message written by a support person rather than a computer.

Interestingly I submitted a request for info to them on 11th June and they never responded to that one either. ON their website they have a link to Returns, which is a different email address. I wrote to that too - no response whatsoever.

I have now written to FirstLightoptics asking for their help instead as the place of purchase.

Right now, I have to say be highly circumspect about spending money on this device - it was a punt that so far has not paid off for me.
Old 25-06-2021, 01:27 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

*update*

As expected FirstLightOptics in the UK are very responsive snd helpful but ultimately help can only come from StarAid who are completely ignoring any support cases raised. In fact they’re probably not ignoring so much as not even looking. The support process is purely to make them look like a real company. FLO have offered to try to contact them on my behalf but even their requests are going unanswered.

MY advice is do NOT buy the StarAid, if only because the company is totally unreliable and they do not take ownership of problems with their expensive product. Even if it starts working once I use a shorter focal length guidescope it won’t change the fact that StarAid are a disgraceful company that will not last long without mending their ways.
Old 25-06-2021, 03:04 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Just another avenue to try if you are active on Social Media FB

https://www.facebook.com/staraidautoguider/
Old 25-06-2021, 04:18 PM
rrussell1962

A long shot Chris, but....software update from 2020.

https://mailchi.mp/794ee6f45022/soft...XDVftxLV47QUrY
Old 25-06-2021, 04:51 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrussell1962 View Post
A long shot Chris, but....software update from 2020.

https://mailchi.mp/794ee6f45022/soft...XDVftxLV47QUrY
Thanks Richard. I saw that but it is a much earlier version than I now have. I’m thinking the software is pretty much hard coded to work with a very specific focal length range. A resolution of that doesn’t absolve StarAid if their responsibilities to support their products though.
Old 25-06-2021, 04:52 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Tucker View Post
Just another avenue to try if you are active on Social Media FB

https://www.facebook.com/staraidautoguider/
Yup, I found that too and commented: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...composer=false
Old 26-06-2021, 05:24 PM
foc (Ross)

Chris, I have an interest in this device myself having ordered one a few weeks ago,
Have you thought of raising the issue in the Equipment or DSLR forums of other astroforums like CloudyNights? Even if the company is just a one or two man show, it seems crazy for StarAid to neglect the English speaking market, but there seems to be little evidence of any recent activity in English language forums like facebook or across the English speaking net. CN gets somecontributors and vendors from Europe and perhaps there has been more recent information in German or other non-English threads and a European CN contributer may know more.
Old 26-06-2021, 05:36 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by foc View Post
Chris, I have an interest in this device myself having ordered one a few weeks ago,
Have you thought of raising the issue in the Equipment or DSLR forums of other astroforums like CloudyNights? Even if the company is just a one or two man show, it seems crazy for StarAid to neglect the English speaking market, but there seems to be little evidence of any recent activity in English language forums like facebook or across the English speaking net. CN gets somecontributors and vendors from Europe and perhaps there has been more recent information in German or other non-English threads and a European CN contributer may know more.
There is a thread on CN and I have contributed but so far nobody has responded to my post. I think FirstLightOptics (who have always been fantastic) are trying to contact on my behalf but they are being ignored too! They have said I can send it back to them if faulty, but I don’t know yet if is faulty or if it generally poor.
Old 01-07-2021, 06:35 AM
OneCosmos (Chris)

FLO have themselves had no response at all from StarAid and StarAid have not responded to any of my messages on the support case. Rubbish company.

The 30mm guidescope arrived and I was able to test it yesterday. I witnessed identical problems to previous tests with the longer focal length guidescope.

This time though I changed the guide speed of the mount to first .75x without greater success then 1x which did mean now it would calibrate and start guiding.

Platesolving however quite simply doesn’t work. I checked in the live image capture and it was teeming with in focus stars (well from a light polluted garden at 18:30) more than enough to resolve. It couldn’t!

The other problem now that it would calibrate I experienced may be a problem with systems designed to automatically start guiding like this. I wasn’t using a remote camera control in this test so just manually pressing the shutter. That slight movement causes StarAid to stop guiding and start calibrating again! Very frustrating.

In any event not platesolving so no polar alignment etc means it’s rubbish and over priced doing guiding only (and very fussy).

First Light Optics are rightly treating it as non functional and arranging for DHL to collect for a full refund, (although obviously the $254 I paid here fir gst and charges is lost)

The alternative is now either. The original plan -the Lacerta MGEN-3 or back to the ASIAIR PRO which I believe now supports the Canon EOS Ra.

Only my opinion, but….DO NOT ORDER STARAID REVOLUTION!

Last edited by OneCosmos; 01-07-2021 at 07:39 AM.
Old 01-07-2021, 05:21 PM
foc (Ross)

Have you tried cable swapping etc

Sorry to hear things are still amiss with your StarAid device Chris, Just thought I would check if you saw Peteram's late response of the 27th to your query for help on CN. I am also looking at other options but the light weight single cable format of the StarAid would be nice if it can be made to reliably perform. At least you have a product for your cash, I still have no word to confirm that my payment will result in one.
Old 01-07-2021, 07:00 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Quote:
Sorry to hear things are still amiss with your StarAid device Chris, Just thought I would check if you saw Peteram's late response of the 27th to your query for help on CN. I am also looking at other options but the light weight single cable format of the StarAid would be nice if it can be made to reliably perform. At least you have a product for your cash, I still have no word to confirm that my payment will result in one.
Yes I read it just now. I have also responded. Mine is all packaged up and FLO arranged for it to be collected by DHL tomorrow. I won’t miss it because even if it can be made to work by spinning three times snd clapping, life is simply too short to waste time trying to humour it in to action. Guiding is like breathing, essential but not worthy of attention, just something I expect to happen effortlessly. StarAid is a problem child that needs 24hr TLC!

I’m sorry you have nothing to show fir your cash but in truth nor did I. You will hopefully get a full refund from PayPal and you won’t be down the gst. When it arrived I had to pay $235 which is lost.

I now have to decide whether to return to ASIAIR Pro or try the Lacerta MGen-3. Anyone any experience using the MGen-3?
Old 01-07-2021, 07:26 PM
AdamJL

I sent them a question about this product on 7 January this year. They replied on 15 February.
Wasn't a good sign, so I steered clear and didn't buy anything. Hope you get your issues sorted quickly.
Old 01-07-2021, 07:47 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

10 years now using a Lodestar and either PHD or MaxIM guiding and no issues whatsoever - never failed to calibrate, never failed to guide (except with an HEQ5 mount that I found I was under-powering slightly). I use a 10 year old laptop to run it all, and that thing has never missed a beat either (just changed it's original battery today).

Gimmicks are usually just that, unfortunately.

Get a decent guidecam and run SharpCap polar align routine and you'll have NIL problems.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:05 PM
AdamJL

The concept is hardly a gimmick. People who hand guided might have said the same thing about autoguiding.

The idea is sound. The execution is not. Here's hoping someone else comes out with a similar product and can run a viable business with it. Anything that automates astrophotography is a great thing.

I'm waiting for consumer EQ mounts with motorised wedges next so they can polar align themselves.

This is all just engineering + software and we're in the right age for this stuff to be built.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:58 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
10 years now using a Lodestar and either PHD or MaxIM guiding and no issues whatsoever - never failed to calibrate, never failed to guide (except with an HEQ5 mount that I found I was under-powering slightly). I use a 10 year old laptop to run it all, and that thing has never missed a beat either (just changed it's original battery today).

Gimmicks are usually just that, unfortunately.

Get a decent guidecam and run SharpCap polar align routine and you'll have NIL problems.
If I’m imaging with a proper telescope, like the APM 152mm and a heavy mount the setup is already massive so a laptop is hardly much effort on top and then I run SG PRO and phd. Perfect.

When I’m using a small mount, a DSLR and camera lens the whole point is simplicity and carting a laptop around is onerous. That is the point of devices like StarAid. If they worked flawlessly why would anyone bother with anything else? The problem is, they don’t.
Old 02-07-2021, 10:23 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Chris, maybe just get a cheap, simple standalone Notebook or tablet to run it. I've done it before with the EQM35 and an incredibly light Notebook with only PHD2, SharpCap and Nebulosity installed on it. Worked perfectly. Weight? Stuff all, and ran off it's own battery and the jump pack running the mount.
Old 02-07-2021, 02:14 PM
Zuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Chris, maybe just get a cheap, simple standalone Notebook or tablet to run it. I've done it before with the EQM35 and an incredibly light Notebook with only PHD2, SharpCap and Nebulosity installed on it. Worked perfectly. Weight? Stuff all, and ran off it's own battery and the jump pack running the mount.
I used to use a laptop, however since moving to an AsiAir pro I am now a fan of being able to control the lot via your phone.

No dew problems, no requirement for a table, no leads as you can use wireless. Once you have got everything going, just slip the phone in your pocket. Ideal for a light mobile setup.