Old 26-09-2009, 09:04 PM
robert.knox (Robert)

Next Monochrome camera advice?

Hi all,
I am after some advice. I am keen on getting a new camera (monochrome) and I am tossing up on a couple of cameras. Before I get to the options, I have a couple of constraints being:
1. I use a PROSTAR 102mm F7 ED Refractor (similar to a William Optics Scope) and a Stellarvue 80mm ED Refractor as my two scopes for imaging.
2. I use an ATIK Electronic Filter Wheel with 1.25 inch Astrodon filters.
The cameras I am looking at are:
1. Starlight Xpress SXVR-H16 USB 2.0 CCD Camera System (mono)
2. QHY-9 Large Format Mono CCD Camera
3. Anything else on the market up to $5000 Australian Dollars.
My concerns are that there may be image distortion due to the size of the CCD chips and that I may need to invest in a field flattener (although I don’t want to).
Can anyone give me some advice?
Cheers
Robert
Old 27-09-2009, 10:27 AM
mtodman (Matt)

Hi Robert.
I've heard nothing but excellent reviews on the QSI cameras. Bintel is selling an 8.3MP version (QSI 583s) for $5200. They also sell a version with built in CFW for $6000 (accepts 1.25" filters).
With a sensor size of 17.96mm x 13.52mm it may be ok for your current imaging setup.
Matt
Old 27-09-2009, 12:45 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

the QSI 583 has the same sensor as the QHY9 too.... They can use 1.25" filters because the filters are so close to the sensor, however with the QHY9, I would imagine the sensor would be too far from the filters and cause vignetting with the 1.25" wheel you already have..

The SXVR-H16 is a good camera however if you can afford to get the QSI 583 or QHY9 I think they will provide you with a bit more longevity.. if you get the H16, eventually you'll want more megapixels, and a larger sensor... if you get one of the KAF-8300 sensor cameras (QHY9/QSI583) you'll be hard pressed to find something better to replace it with..
Old 27-09-2009, 04:21 PM
telecasterguru (Frank)
Have scope will travel!

Robert,
I am also looking at going down the same path as you are in relation to imaging.
I have looked at the qsi583 and the qhy9. Both have the same chip but the qsi has a built in filter wheel Other than that I am a little confused as to why it is almost twice the price of the qhy. Would be happy to know what the extras in the qsi are that make it more expensive and whether it is value for money? QSI583 wsg $6,500 v QHY9 plus filter wheel $4,200.
I also notice that the qhy9 cannot be used with Nebulosity. At least it is not mentioned on the website.
I image with an ED127 at f7.6 so am not positive what the best camera would be for this scope. I'm thinking that 2" filters may be better for my scope although they cost a lot more than 1.25" filters.
Sorry to hijack your thread.

Frank
Old 27-09-2009, 06:30 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

Frank - The QSI is more expensive because its QSI... The QSI KAF3200 based camera is nearly double the cost of the SBIG ST10XME with the same sensor.. ?

The QHY9 can be used in Nebulosity, but you don't select "QHY9" as the camera, you use ASCOM drivers, and as such, to use the QHY9 in nebulosity, when you drop down the list of cameras, you click on ASCOM Camera...

Even when adding the cost of the filters and filter wheel, the QHY9 is STILL cheaper than the QSI-583.. and thats before you get filters for the QSI.. Its a no brainer in my eyes... QHY9..
Old 27-09-2009, 07:46 PM
telecasterguru (Frank)
Have scope will travel!

Alex,
I agree with you that unless there is a reason for paying a premium then you shouldn't.
Frank
Old 27-09-2009, 09:31 PM
ejcruz (Eddie)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN View Post
The QHY9 can be used in Nebulosity, but you don't select "QHY9" as the camera, you use ASCOM drivers, and as such, to use the QHY9 in nebulosity, when you drop down the list of cameras, you click on ASCOM Camera...
Starting from Nebulosity 2.1.5 you don't have to use the ASCOM drivers and you can also control temp and QHY Filter Wheel, just select "View" and click on "QHY9 Control", Nebulosity current version is 2.1.9.

Cheers
Eddie
Old 27-09-2009, 09:38 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

Aahh.. seems i'm behind the times.. I've still got V2.0.3

Update time..
Old 28-09-2009, 07:06 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN View Post
The QSI is more expensive because its QSI... The QSI KAF3200 based camera is nearly double the cost of the SBIG ST10XME with the same sensor.. ?
Noticed there is a complete ST-10XME Package that includes Filter Wheel (10 position) and AO8 in the classifieds section for a dream price....have the money but not the skill to handle this type of equipment....mores the pity...nothing wrong with dreaming though
Old 28-09-2009, 07:14 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

Hans - The ST10XME is a piece of cake to use mate.. If you are looking for a great CCD and have the cash, Buy it...

My old ST10 was awesome!! Wish I could afford to buy this one thats for sale at the moment...
Old 28-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Phil Hart

i have just started using a QHY9.. happy so far but after only one night i don't have much to show for it.. ask me again in a few weeks :-)

i think QHY cameras are great value. QSI look well engineered.. up to you whether you can justify the premium.. image performance should be very similar between the two cameras with the same chip..