Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-09-2021, 06:23 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Astrophotography Therapy

A story most of us can relate too. Astronomy be it visual or astrophotography can be therapeutic ... although the latter can induce frustration.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-...n-sa/100406442
Old 20-09-2021, 08:03 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Imagine if they had turned the lights off during lockdown at night. Now that would be real therapy. I reckon a lot of people would not be as stressed.
Old 20-09-2021, 08:31 AM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Imagine if they had turned the lights off during lockdown at night. Now that would be real therapy. I reckon a lot of people would not be as stressed.
Maybe ... Maybe not. It might have the same result as the 1994 LA Blackout ... stressful time for all in LA back then.
Old 20-09-2021, 08:34 AM
doug mc

Astrophotgraphy as therapy? Only if you don't look at your bank account.
Old 20-09-2021, 08:38 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mc View Post
Astrophotgraphy as therapy? Only if you don't look at your bank account.
Old 20-09-2021, 11:02 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Like so many hobbies it starts off such that you are usually very happy with your results and achievements and usually happy with your gear...but then for many they stop looking at what that have achieved either by way of observations or photos and start to find fault with most everything and no longer happy with an overlay of desiring improvement.

And so ...many folk want bigger better, a darker site, better cameras, better software etc and now when they look at their photos it is the oval stars they see not the fact that they are producing an image that family and friends find unbelievable who dont notice slight errors.

Now although I have gone rather over board with two observatories, three mounts ( and maybe another on its way?), two narrow band camera set ups, one OSC astro, and a decent wide field camera and lens... and four ( or more??) scopes these did not come from lack of satisfaction in either my equipment or my photos... just sortta happened...Others can find fault with my images or set up but not me...I am entirely content.....I remember where I came from ... A uneducated, very poor kid in a country town where to learn chess or the guitar I had to teach myself..where you had to fight bullies for being different and wanting to say play chess or have a microscope and chemistry set..no wonder I ended up a good fighter..you did or had nothing ..it has been always hard for me cause of so many fights..but never lost which only means they seek you out... and so I am so proud of all I have done without help...never part of the mob..so for me I find my astro stuff most rewarding and pity the folk who just want better rather than enjoy what they have done.

So its been near 12 months with no action and a pile of new gear to sort out and it looks as though I will be doing it all from a wheel chair...my legs just are not coming back so far..and with health issues its easy to give up..so my next images will be very hard won.

Alex
Old 20-09-2021, 12:58 PM
leon

Other than the fights Alex I agree 100% with ones own achievement and being happy/proud of it even if it looks like crap to the big boys in the game

Leon
Old 20-09-2021, 01:14 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I should have explained why the fights...it was a small town..everyone had their place and the only pastime was football..if you did not play football you really were up against it...and envy...I had a guitar and a microscope...s real outsider.
Alex
Old 20-09-2021, 09:27 PM
Lariliss (Larissa)

Psychologists state that the ability of perception of nature and arts’ aesthetic is one of the points of evidence of human intellect and health.
Not only the result of photographing itself (it might be very problematic not only for astrophotography, but for taking photos of nature on the ground). Making a plan, going with a map, searching sites, being focused on the art away from daily haste is already a cure as well as wandering somebody's story-telling pictures.
Old 20-09-2021, 11:19 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariliss View Post
Psychologists state that the ability of perception of nature and arts’ aesthetic is one of the points of evidence of human intellect and health.
What? All of them?
I can see a Psychologists convention and them making a group statement to this effect.

Sorry generalisations have a funny effect upon me.

Alex