Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-04-2005, 06:20 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Exclamation Launching IceInSpace.com.au!

IceInSpace has always been a site for Aussies and New Zealanders.. of course we welcome those from other parts of the world, but our strength is that we are a local site, for local amateur astronomers and stargazers.

Well today, we make it official. It is with great pleasure that today I announce the launch of IceInSpace.com.au!

Getting a .com.au domain name is not trivial in Australia, there are strict rules surrounding the registration of .au domain names and it required me to register a business name before I could get the domain name. With the help of the those who donated to IceInSpace, I was able to finally get the .com.au site up and running.

Since registering the domain, mojo and I have been working in the background ensuring that the site will transition smoothly over to the .com.au domain, and we wanted to launch this now distinctly Australasian site with a new logo as well. So you can see above the result of many emails between mojo and myself trying to get the right design that signifies what we are, and most importantly, where we are.

The hope is that with the .au domain name, the site will yield many more search results for Aussies looking for astronomy related information in a "Pages from Australia" search.

Lots of people have contributed to this site in one way or another, and I greatly appreciate everyone's contributions however large or small. Special mention must go to mojo who has helped enormously in the creative and technical area. And of course a very special thankyou to those who donate to the site to keep us up and running.

We've got something special here. I've found nothing quite like it in our region. The site has been up just over 6 months and we're growing every week. The sense of community on these forums is palpable. Everyone is willing to help, whether it's helping newbies or experienced astronomers. Friendships are being made, real friendships. People are getting together, meeting up and having star parties and observing sessions, inviting newbies along.. Without IceInSpace, would these people ever have met? Who knows..

I'm so proud of what IceInSpace has become, and as a community, what we have achieved and will continue to achieve. With the .com.au domain name i'm sure we'll get bigger and stronger still.

From a technical side, any .com URL's will be redirected to .com.au, but if you could update any links in your favourites or bookmarks, or any links on your homepages to point to the .com.au site, that'd be great. If you'd like to add a link to your homepage, that'd also be great. Please remember to use .com.au from now on so the search engines pick up all those references!

You may have found you need to login to the forums again, because the URL has changed you'll need to save a new cookie.

Thanks again to everyone's support and contributions to the IceInSpace experience.

Last edited by iceman; 13-04-2005 at 08:12 AM.
Old 13-04-2005, 07:58 AM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Old 13-04-2005, 10:22 AM
Striker (Tony)
Whats visual Astronomy

Is that why I had to sign in......?

I hope everyone has remembered their passwords.

Well done Mike.....I know you have wanted this for awhile.
Old 13-04-2005, 10:44 AM
frogman (Anthony Lord)
Host to the Stars

Well done boys...
i had a little trouble logging in because of my frog change

once again well done !

FROG...Man
Old 13-04-2005, 10:52 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

congratulations Mike. And thanks for supporting the Iceman and all the other Iceinspacers mojo.

You guys rock
Old 13-04-2005, 07:29 PM
gaa_ian (Ian)
1300 THESKY

Excellent ....Aussie, Aussie Aussie ...Oiy, Oiy Oiy !!!
Ice in space is the unifying voice of Amateur Astronomers in Aust & NZ (Can't forget a K1W1 mates)
Old 13-04-2005, 08:49 PM
Mick (Michael)

Mike, it maybe just the dialup I’m using but the pages are taking twice as long to load what do you think? Please help.
Old 13-04-2005, 09:10 PM
mick pinner
Astrolounge

Well done Ice,
l hope it becomes everything you want it to be, great job so far.
Old 13-04-2005, 09:22 PM
Rodstar (Rod)
The Glenfallus

Fantastic news Mike....you just keep coming up with bigger and better!!

We all owe you a debt of gratitude. Great job mate!

Rod
Old 13-04-2005, 10:18 PM
thomo
Meh

Well done fellas!

Does this mean we need new stickers?
Old 13-04-2005, 11:40 PM
johnno

Well Done to all who have worked to achieve this,
it is Fantastic to have a site dedicated to Astronomy in the Southern Hemisphere,particuarly Australia and N.Z.
As I have said before imho,this is the BEST site on Astronomy for our part of the world.BAR NONE.
Regards.John
Old 14-04-2005, 08:55 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Thanks for the positive comments everyone!

Quote:
Mike, it maybe just the dialup I’m using but the pages are taking twice as long to load what do you think? Please help.
Mick I haven't noticed any change, but I'm not on dialup. Do any other dialuppers notice any change?

Perhaps your ISP was having a bad day? Or maybe the server was slow at the time?

Please let me know if it's continuing to be a problem..

Quote:
Does this mean we need new stickers?
heh nah, the current ones are just "collectables" now I'll get some new ones printed in the future though, before silvie leaves the printers and becomes an astronomer at least
Old 14-04-2005, 09:46 AM
Mick (Michael)

Working good now Mike must have been my ISP, thanks and congratulations on the new look. long live IceInSpace!