View Single Post
Old 15-03-2022, 09:27 PM
EpickCrom (Joe)
Epick Crom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave882 View Post
Inspired by your post and a couple other visual reports I decided to turn the c14 to Carina last night thumbing my nose to the 90% moon, patchy cloud and oppressive swarms of mozzies… I’ve never spent time on the Homunculus Nebula before but this was by far the highlight of the night! Even from the suburbs it was clearly revealed at 140x a deep orange/red colour. At 220x the 2 lobes were beautifully revealed, one being noticeably brighter and a bit larger than the other and surface texture within the lobes apparent when the seeing was better in patches. For a few moments I was certain could just catch some hint of an ejection from eta carinae but I would need better sky to have another go at this. Wow what a blast. I did a drive-by on a couple other targets but kept coming back for another view. I think it’s so amazing if I think how many hours I’ve spent gazing at NGC3372 at low power and never done THIS before! Thanks so much for your report Joe.

Side note- was on the m42 trapezium at 220x when a jet passed directly through the fov of the eyepiece. Scared the absolute crap out of me. Almost fell over. Yikes
Hi Dave. I'm glad my report inspired you to go looking for the Homunculus planetary nebula surrounding Eta Carina. Marvelous isn't it?!That jet that passed in your field of view while you were observed M42 must have shook you up! Wishing you clear skies.