View Single Post
Old 13-07-2021, 09:42 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Hi Tyrone,
Welcome to IceInSpace

There are plenty of reviews in the beginners sections and in the Projects DIY reviews sections (left side column). There is one called General Principles for Choosing your first Telescope

But in general terms, the answer depends on many considerations.

Firstly how much money can you afford to invest? It may surprise you to find several hundred dollars may be the base line, for a good starter scope that may serve your interest for a few years.

At the same time you should ask yourself how sure am I that this is for me? If this is a dip your toe in the water idea, you may not want to commit to a big upfront investment.

A solution to these issues is to use other people's scopes first. This will help to see what you can see with what it will cost. See if there is an observing group around your location. Most amateur astronomers are more than happy to share their experiences and let you look through their scopes. Especially Ice In Space members.

If you want to come to the Central Coast, I am happy to help you see some different types of scopes.

Next, do you want to observe or photograph. If you are like most, the idea of sharing your views is enticing. But astrophotography increases the investment levels and associated auxiliary equipment exponentially once you progress past very basic levels. I soon dropped this idea, but it cost me, because I was initially sold a scope that allowed for this, but was not so suited for basic visual, which is all I do now.

The simple answer is (for visual beginners) is the Dobsonian. You can get a reasonable size DOB for around $500 new. (6" diameter full tube $449; 8" $649; etc). The DOB base allows easy setup and moves up/down left/right.
It is easy to use visually.

I recommend an alternate tube type that collapses, Easier to carry and store. But price goes up. (8" flex dob $849).

Then there is locating and tracking your object. Computerised Go-To Flex Dob 8" $1649).

So many other types to consider. Equatorial mounts add to cost but move in the same fashion as the stars, so are more suited to photographic endeavours, but can be a literal pain in the neck to use visually.

Schmidt Cassegrains are more compact but higher cost again but more versatile IMHO.

These are all "reflectors". Purists may recommend refractors.

And on it goes.

This is why I would recommend looking through other peoples scopes first and listening to their stories.

A final consideration is Where will you observe from. Light pollution in Sydney is not conducive in many cases, do you need a scope that will transport easily?

Have a look for Star Parties in the star parties forum.

Sorry for long post but there are many considerations for you to ponder. Don't waste your money on a super cheap "toy", we would like to help you.

Regards
Allan