View Single Post
Old 15-05-2021, 08:33 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

I prefer doing everything on a mac, and really dislike the lack of intuitive user friendliness of windows.

That said for many years I missed out on automation for capture.
I used Nebulosity/Sky Safari/PHD which enabled capture, mount pointing & guiding, but no autofocus or plate solving.

Moving into automation, I understand that the Sky-X is mac based and does everything but is VERY expensive. Cloudmakers produce mac friendly capture software, but it's incompatible with my focuser and they have no plans to make it so. (I asked!)

That eventually led me to Stellarmate/Kstars/Indi initially on my mac - does everything but I couldn't get it to platesolve. Eventually purchased a Raspberry pi, loaded the Stellarmate OS and viola! Automation almost perfect.

The developer Jasem is hands on helpful too - there is still a niggle with coding my focuser but we're almost there. Platesolving is a breeze, the images are sharp, filter changes are ok, built in multi star guiding is great and the mount happily does a meridian flip, parks itself etc.

My buddies all use Voyager on a NUC without any issues, and although it's tempting it's windows only. I'm happy to work through the last issue with my focuser as the Stellarmate software is almost as user friendly as my mac.