View Single Post
Old 22-03-2016, 04:52 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustigsmed View Post
if the moon was lowish in the sky it could be some atmospheric dispersion rather than the scope. if you put the photo into RegiStax and choose RGB align (from memory) it can often offer some improvement.
I think you may have nailed it. With that telescope the resolution of the camera's sensor works out at about 0.5 arc second per pixel, so atmospherics would be a likely culprit. I thought of aligning RGB but looking at the channels separately (with the G channel showing more detail) and the overall relatively poor quality of the image I did not think it worth the bother.

Easy way to settle it is to take more shots with the Moon nearer to zenith, which I will certainly do.

PS. I don't even need to do that. Closer look at the photo reveals colour shifted uniformly across the whole photo: up for the blue end and down for the red end of the spectrum. It could still be miscollimation but it would be a little bit of an unlucky coincidence if the miscollimation matches up with the up-down direction in the sky.

Last edited by janoskiss; 22-03-2016 at 05:06 PM.