Thread: Antares B
View Single Post
Old 16-06-2021, 08:52 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1 View Post
Wow, great captures!
That image is really amazing!!!

Last night, I was able to split Antares with my Vixen 140mm with 265x (6mm Tak ortho, barlowed by a shortie 2x).

I has similar success a few evenings back using my Tak 100mm with 245x (same setup).

Prior to that, I failed with my 100mm F11 with 275x. The seeing was not good on that evening and even 180x seemed to be too much magnification.

However, last night was special as the evening had very good seeing. It was an unusual day with Cairns having fog in the morning. That is a rare event here.

So flushed with success, I tried to split Beta Musca, which I have been trying to do for the last 30 years with many different scopes. With 230x, I could see the discs were overlapping, but not separated. At 265x, I could see the discs were close and was not sure if they were separated. With 320x, I had to patiently wait for moments of better seeing and then I could see that they were separated. At 400x, it was too much power and it was never clear enough to see anything.

I am delighted; I never expected to ever see Beta Musca split.

I started to think of more difficult splits, but the clouds rolled in about 8.45pm and ended the evenings viewing.