View Single Post
Old 15-10-2020, 02:49 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
G'day Martin

I've seen this mentioned before, but what exactly does it mean? I've never had a "home position" menu on my SynScan that I could see? (EQ6-R).

When I've "parked the scope" at the end of a session (not even sure why I do this, considering I take it apart when done..), the axes are never centred.
Home Position is not primarily a function of Synscan
Home Position is the mechanical position of your mounts axis at the start of a session and end of a session. It sets the mount at a fixed starting point close to the PA position so that when the mount is polar aligned and the Alt and Az are adjusted to PA , the Synscan will save the alignment data and return the mount mount back to that position again or “home position”
If you strip down and set up each night it’s still good practice to set home position as then if you lose power or your Synscan fails you still have the mounts mechanical axis set to start again from that home position. Plus you know the mount will return back to home and not crash into your tripod legs on the same side of the meridian
Does the above make sense !

I also set Home Position ( starting point ) on my 12” Goto AZ dob although it’s a different process than an EQ mount