View Single Post
Old 14-09-2015, 08:32 PM
PRejto (Peter)

I don't know the ins and outs of TSX when not using a Bisque mount. But I think the accurate PA is going to work quite well when you are already pretty close to good PA. If the star moves too far it will be out of the camera FOV and I'm unsure how you could go about re-centering it. When I've used APA the star move was well within the FOV.

The other issue is how accurate your mount adjusters are? Even on the Bisque mounts they are not perfect, especially in MA. ME is pretty good.

You might want to try using the jog control in TSX and see if you can measure how accurately your mount responds to arc-sec moves. You might be dealing with some backlash which would make the jog control difficult to use for PA. But, you might try something I used to do to get extremely accurate adjustment in ME. You do the supermodel and see what it says for ME. Perhaps it say lower your mount by 1 arc-min. What I've done is slew to any star on the meridian and center it. Then use the jog control to slew 1 arc-min higher. Then lower the mount until the original star is re-centered. You have lowered the mount exactly 1 arc-min! The same technique can be used for MA but is much more tricky because the move is by the cosine of the altitude. The best position is probably pointing east or west.

Personally I think you will find T-Point is going to give you very accurate pointing. But, it may prove less satisfying for PA given your non-Paramount. If I were you I would use PEMpro to drift align. Once you are satisfied with PA then run your model and ignore the polar alignment report. You will get a very good result. (Extremely accurate PA is a compromise at best anyway so there is nothing wrong with a drift alignment.) Also, realize that even if you are not permanently setup you can reuse the model by just recalibrating into the large model (maybe only 8-10 points are necessary). You just need to mount your equipment as close as you can from night to night.

Peter