View Single Post
Old 14-09-2012, 05:54 PM
Tony_ (Tony)

I haven't solved the problem yet - still not sure if I'm even getting closer.

Took a photo last night - same result. I took a closer look at some of my past pictures - they actually do have the same problem but not as bad. The tracking (unguided) was near perfect - virtually 0 drift just PE. So at least tightening the RA gears has fixed the polar alignment issue.

I also took a closer look at last nights subs - I adjusted exposure etc. but I couldn't see any sign of the circles around the stars. If this is correct then it must be processing? (but I still haven't ruled out focusing or weather). If it is weather then other people in Melbourne with SCTs would have the same issue?

The green selections in DSS recommended settings are "Use median combination method" - for dark files and flat files (I don't use dark flats or offset bias). and "Use RGB background calibration".

I have the trial version of nebulosity - I'll do some stacking with that and see if it is better, I also have AIP but I haven't used the stacking in this - it seems more complicated.

I use an unmodded canon 550d - attached directly with an adapter/t-ring, no filters or reducer.

Any more ideas?

Regards,
Tony.