View Single Post
Old 25-07-2021, 09:54 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

As I see it, for a scope setup to be left outside for an extended period, there are 3 issues:
1. Temperature. In summer, heat and optics are a poor mix. In winter, cold combined with humidity are the issue.
2. Condensation inside any protective enclosure.
3. Weight and ease of use.

For 1, I’m now thinking about glueing thin polystyrene sheeting to some semi-rigid plastic or perspex sheeting that I can use to make a cover/enclosure. Keeping overall weight down is the first objective, insulation the second and discouraging condensation the third.

Having to construct some sort of baseplate seems to be overkill if there is some simpler way to support the weight and secure it in windy conditions. Velcro strapping attaching to tripod legs would serve to secure the cover but not support the weight? So perhaps some 1 inch PVC legs would be needed. These could be fastened to the tripod legs and hold the whole thing high enough so it doesn’t have to sit on the scope itself.

To prevent buildup of moist or warm air inside the box, a simple 12 volt PC Case fan would do the trick. Fixed into the side of the cover with perhaps a little hood to keep rain out. A little battery charged up with a small solar panel would do the job easily.

Thoughts?