View Single Post
Old 10-03-2022, 07:59 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

Meteor Classification

The meteor identification and classification method I have been using on my Raspberry Shake and Boom is based largely on this paper: https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1407/1407.6331.pdf

The three main diagrams/tables from this paper that I use are attached FYI.

Obviously the best way to identify meteors is to be able to confirm them visually, but part of the attraction of the RBoom (Raspberry Boom) is to be able to identify meteors when they can't be seen e.g. daylight, cloudy, or too lazy .

So for now I have been identifying potential meteors by:
1. looking for the expected wave shape(s) in the infrasound recording;
2. eliminating any that coincide with a seismic signal in the RShake;
3. checking the Dominant Signal Period is in the right range; and
4. the Frequency Spectrogram is strong below 10Hz and relatively weak above.

Strong Infrasound signals can create a linked seismic signal (and vice versa) so by ignoring signals with coincident seismic signals I am probably losing some strong meteor signatures, but I am also eliminating any seismic sources that may just produce a similar signature in infrasound as a meteor would. If I had a confirming visual photographic observation of the meteor that matched the timing of the signal (allowing for the speed of sound) then the signature would be confirmed and the seismic signal could be identified as being linked and produced by the infrasound.

I hope this helps anyone interested in infrasound detection of meteors get a start in doing so.

Al.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (39-Figure5.15-1.jpg)
102.9 KB75 views
Click for full-size image (38-Table5.5-1.png)
132.4 KB56 views
Click for full-size image (51-Table5.10-1.png)
83.4 KB58 views