View Single Post
Old 23-07-2013, 07:30 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffen View Post
To be honest, I don't understand what the attraction of those 120EDs is, but then, I'm not an imager. I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole, given how much more useful scopes you can get for that sort of money…

The complication of this thread is that we've been arguing over three corners – expensive frac (high quality, limited usefulness) vs SW frac (to me as useful as tits on a bull) vs Dob (very useful, not lasting forever but cheap).

Cheers
Steffen.
Hey Steffen,

You left your 6" Mak out of the equation! And by some of the comments even this might be considered near "useless" for deep sky observing by some people.

Maybe we forget that some observers, myself included, have done a lot less visual astronomy than many people on this forum. Sometimes simply tracking down an "easy" object in a small scope can be rewarding. I haven't even ticked off all the Messier objects yet, so I am easily thrilled by seeing an object for the first time with my Stellarvue 110ED, even if it shows little detail.

Maybe one day I'll have seen so much that nothing less than a 20" scope will excite me...