View Single Post
Old 23-07-2013, 06:24 PM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profiler View Post
Yes - you do concede the point that Synta Tech equipment doesn't last
It does last, just not as long I have a GSO Dob that is about 3 years old and shows no signs of ageing yet. So yes, you do get some use out of them.

Quote:
[With respect to the automatic expectation that higher quality more expensive equipment will last longer - well - wouldn't the analogous logic to that assumption extend to the earlier point about the optical performance of high quality refractors aren't going to be the same as Synta Tech refractors
Not at all, being shorter lived doesn't mean that their optical performance can't be excellent when new. Talking about Dobs here, see below...

Quote:
Otherwise - as I keep on stating ad nauseum - if a Synta Tech ED120 was the same or even close to a TV-NP127 (for example) then companies like Tak, AP, TV, APM etc would have been out of business decades ago and we would all be using ED120s
To be honest, I don't understand what the attraction of those 120EDs is, but then, I'm not an imager. I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole, given how much more useful scopes you can get for that sort of money…

The complication of this thread is that we've been arguing over three corners – expensive frac (high quality, limited usefulness) vs SW frac (to me as useful as tits on a bull) vs Dob (very useful, not lasting forever but cheap).

Cheers
Steffen.