View Single Post
Old 05-01-2020, 07:53 AM
Startrek (Martin)

John
One item I forgot to note , in the Syncan manual it advises to complete centering your alignment Star using the Up and Right buttons on the hand controller to reduce backlash
I’ve tried with or without doing this and it made no difference to the Star Alignment or Polar Alignment accuracy
Now I just use any button to centre the Star as long as it is centred , then press enter
Also I use the Synscan Polar Alignment routine on both my HEQ5 mount and EQ6-R mount
Obviously the EQ6-R mount completes the process easier and in less time
When PA error is as low as I can get ( less than 1 arc minute ) I usually pick a star out to the east and up at 50 degrees and track it for a few minutes to see if there is any noticeable drift. Usually I can track the Star for 5 minutes or so without it moving off the reticle
Then I get on with imaging , select , target , Goto , frame, focus , guiding , capture plan etc....
For SA and PA I started using an Orion 20mm 70deg illuminated reticle eye piece but that method went over 2 years ago ( it was straining my neck and back ) when I connected my laptop to the mount 2metres away and use my DSLR and BYEOS which has a PA reticle crosshairs screen. I just sit at my little outdoor workstation on a drum stool , bought a 3m long curly cord for the Synscan Hand controller and perform my Star Alignment and Polar Alignment in relative ease and comfort , no more bending over the scope and mount
Cheers
Martin