View Single Post
Old 25-07-2022, 11:43 AM
AdamJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crater101 View Post
Do let us know how it all goes...hope you get a good result.

Having only a limited amount of knowledge of such things - the HEQ5 is the only other powered mount I own - I can confidently say that while the "tightness" of the unit has improved, it's done so at the cost of introducing a slowly increasing amount of RA backlash, with seemingly a little more becoming evident each time it gets used.

I powered the unit for about two hours the other night with a standard Canon 6D & 100mm lens. Power came from a Bluetti EB55 unit, and I was careful not to let cords get in the way. The power supply did seem to improve slewing a bit, however that RA backlash seemed to increase just a little as well.

If I had to guess - and that's all I'm doing -I'd say that working the factory lubricants through the unit to loosen it up has also somehow increased the RA backlash. I emphasise that's just a hunch. I'm not certain what they lubricants these ship with or how much is in there.

I'm going to set it up with a slightly heavier lens this evening, not for capture purposes but to see how it performs under a slightly increased load, probably a 70-200 f2.8L and a 1.4x extender. I'll let you know how it goes...

I realise a few others are having similar issues. I'm curious as to what sort of load (weight wise) people are putting on the mount and if that relates to any performance issues. There shouldn't be any correlation within the tolerances of the unit, but if anyone has any information, I'd be interested to hear it.
Hi Warren

My battery ran out during the night so I'm running more tests again today. So far, the wiggle hasn't become worse. I'll take a video and post it later and you can see what sort of wiggle I'm working with.

In terms of weight, my setup is 4.93kg, so I'm under the official limit. Might be able to save a few hundred grams by moving the ASI Air Plus onto the tripod but I don't think that's necessary.